Why don't FETs do anything to prove the earth is flat?

• 47 Replies
Re: Why don't FETs do anything to prove the earth is flat?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
HA HA love the photo anteater.....nice bit of photoshop! Still a bit mystified as to why I've never seen it on my ocean mapping travels though. And what's over the top of it again....where is the point where man can go no more, does anyone have a photo of that?

could just be a piece of a glacier

?

trig

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 04:11:21 AM »
HA HA love the photo anteater.....nice bit of photoshop! Still a bit mystified as to why I've never seen it on my ocean mapping travels though. And what's over the top of it again....where is the point where man can go no more, does anyone have a photo of that?

could just be a piece of a glacier
Tom Bishop found a long time ago that James Clarke Ross, an Antarctic explorer of the 1830's and 1840's, mentioned a 150 ft tall ice wall just like that one in the photo (the border of what we now call the Ross Ice Shelf) and decided to make a story about that ice wall and how Ross considered it impossible or very hard to climb.

The same Ross showed that the ice wall does not surround all of Antarctica, and any mountain climber can climb a 150 ft ice wall, so the whole subject is moot. Antarctica is there for anyone to explore, and indeed lots of people have. And what half of the FE'rs need, a second wall, this one really high and really insurmountable, has never been found. Guess why?

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
Just to show that I do the experiments and not just talk about them, I have just measured the direction where the Sun rose. It was 98o, which was 8 degrees South of what I expected. The difference between magnetic and true North for my location (4oN, 75oW) is about 5oW, and the time of the measurement (7:40 am) gives us a small error (about 1o). Also, the date when the measurement was done gives us another small error (about 2o), and the quality of the compass used gives us an additional 5o of error, giving us about 10o of expected maximum error.

By contrast, the measurement, for my location, should have been about 45o (that is a NE direction) for the Flat Earth model (as much as it is defined) to be validated.

Nice one centurion! Which argument do you think the flat guys will use to try and smother you? I'm betting it'll be the "you're a liar/member of Teh Konspirasy" one. So sad.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:43 PM »
An experiment here is easy. According to Newton's laws of circular motion objects should only fall to the Earth at 9.81 m/s^2 at the north and south pole. However, at the equator things will only fall at 9.77 m/s^2 due to the radial outward force caused by rotation.

I URGE anyone near the equator that has a really good high-speed camera to record thousands of frames (maybe even more, i'm not into camera technology) of a ball falling and measure the acceleration. When dropped from rest it will travel according to this equation.

Y = (1/2)gt^2

where y is height, t is seconds, and g is what we will be recording

Potential errors, poor aero-dynamics, use a small sphere. Air resistance, use a really small height, and therefore small velocities.

It shouldn't be hard at all to find the time. Use a perfectly measured out scale in the background of the falling object to measure height.

g = 2Y/t^2

Even if you're not at the equator but close you can try.

?

trig

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
An experiment here is easy. According to Newton's laws of circular motion objects should only fall to the Earth at 9.81 m/s^2 at the north and south pole. However, at the equator things will only fall at 9.77 m/s^2 due to the radial outward force caused by rotation.

I URGE anyone near the equator that has a really good high-speed camera to record thousands of frames (maybe even more, i'm not into camera technology) of a ball falling and measure the acceleration. When dropped from rest it will travel according to this equation.

Y = (1/2)gt^2

where y is height, t is seconds, and g is what we will be recording

Potential errors, poor aero-dynamics, use a small sphere. Air resistance, use a really small height, and therefore small velocities.

It shouldn't be hard at all to find the time. Use a perfectly measured out scale in the background of the falling object to measure height.

g = 2Y/t^2

Even if you're not at the equator but close you can try.

This experiment is a lot more difficult than you seem to believe. With a 1000 frame per second camera (which I believe is a very fast, expensive camera), the ball will fall for 451 frames in a 9.81 m/s/s area and 452 frames in a 9.77 m/s/s area, for a 1 meter fall. While possible, it is not easy.

Anyhow, no FE'r that I know of disputes that there is a difference in the acceleration of falling objects from one place to another on the Earth. They have an "explanation" for this, usually mentioning residual gravitational pull from the stars.

The real challenge (impossible in my opinion) is to explain to the FE'rs that because the model with gravitational pull and almost spherical planets is routinely used to make and verify predictions, and the "residual gravitation from stars" has never been used to make verifiable predictions, the FE's "explanation" is just poor science.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
Not true. RE'ers often like to propose 'cheap experiments', and then harp on about how nobody has carried them out. What they conveniently forget is that many FE'ers (and indeed RE'ers) point out why these experiments won't prove anything, which is a pretty good reason for not doing them.

Actually, there are any number of experiments that can be performed inexpensively that can definitely disprove FET.  A good example would be last week's equinox.  That would have been an ideal opportunity to see if sunrise and sunset observations match FET or RET predictions better.  However, since you don't actually want to put FET predictions to the test, I suppose the point is moot.

We're willing to put FET to the test. However. the "equinox experiment" only tells us information about the sun from a certain location on earth. The sun could easily be southwards of the equator to come in from due east and set due west during the equinox, giving us our 12 hour days. It doesn't necessarily need to be directly over the equator.

Definitely disproved? Yeah right.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:24:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »
Not true. RE'ers often like to propose 'cheap experiments', and then harp on about how nobody has carried them out. What they conveniently forget is that many FE'ers (and indeed RE'ers) point out why these experiments won't prove anything, which is a pretty good reason for not doing them.

Actually, there are any number of experiments that can be performed inexpensively that can definitely disprove FET.  A good example would be last week's equinox.  That would have been an ideal opportunity to see if sunrise and sunset observations match FET or RET predictions better.  However, since you don't actually want to put FET predictions to the test, I suppose the point is moot.

We're willing to put FET to the test. However. the "equinox experiment" only tells us information about the sun from a certain location on earth. The sun could easily be southwards of the equator to come in from due east and set due west, giving us our 12 hour days. It doesn't necessarily need to be directly over the equator.

Put flat earth theory to the test? Hire a boat, sail the world, measure distances and then admit your theory is nonsense. That's the only test you need to do.

?

trig

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 05:12:56 AM »

We're willing to put FET to the test. However. the "equinox experiment" only tells us information about the sun from a certain location on earth. The sun could easily be southwards of the equator to come in from due east and set due west during the equinox, giving us our 12 hour days. It doesn't necessarily need to be directly over the equator.

This experiment gives the same result when done from any place on Earth except close to the poles. It is a physical impossibility for this to be true in almost every place on Earth in your model. Every one who knows a little bit about navigation understands this, and thousands or millions of people have seen it through the ages from all parts of the world.

The only people that should do the experiment, just to have confirmation without having to rely on other people's word, are the 5 or so remaining FE'rs. That would be the true Zetetic principle at work.

Do the experiment yourself, we are still only 9 days after the Equinox, and keep the result to yourself. We all know what the result will be anyway.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
We're willing to put FET to the test.

Prove it.

However. the "equinox experiment" only tells us information about the sun from a certain location on earth. The sun could easily be southwards of the equator to come in from due east and set due west during the equinox, giving us our 12 hour days. It doesn't necessarily need to be directly over the equator.

But Tom, one of the defining properties of the equinox is that the sun is directly above the equator.  Please show me on an FE map how the sun can appear to rise due east on the day of the equinox.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
Nice one centurion! Which argument do you think the flat guys will use to try and smother you? I'm betting it'll be the "you're a liar/member of Teh Konspirasy" one. So sad.

When does this ever happen? Seriously, I cannot recall a single existence (unless it was way back) where anyone on this forum was accused of being part of The Conspiracy, other than RE'ers doing it as a joke. It never happens.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »

When does this ever happen? Seriously, I cannot recall a single existence (unless it was way back) where anyone on this forum was accused of being part of The Conspiracy, other than RE'ers doing it as a joke. It never happens.

Lrn2irony.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
It's clearly not irony when you guys bring this up all the time.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
OK then Wilmore, what's your explanation of Trig's results?

?

EarthISroundISproven

• There is no ice wall
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »

Pot calling kettle black. Conspiracy is the stock answer from FEs whenever NASA or any kind of international space exploration is mentioned.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »

Pot calling kettle black. Conspiracy is the stock answer from FEs whenever NASA or any kind of international space exploration is mentioned.

What? We never deny being serious about our statements, or claim that they're ironic.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

What? We never deny being serious about our statements, or claim that they're ironic.

Still waiting for your explanation of Trig's results...  ::)

Lorddave

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
I have to agree with william on this one.  So far I haven't seen anyone really say "you're part of the conspiracy".

Usually they say "post the data or it's invalid" or "Your data is invalid because of reason *insert reason here*".

Or they don't respond.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
I have to agree with william on this one.  So far I haven't seen anyone really say "you're part of the conspiracy".

Usually they say "post the data or it's invalid" or "Your data is invalid because of reason *insert reason here*".

Or they don't respond.

I suggested they'd say "you're a liar/part of Teh Konspiracy" and I've seen them plainly accuse people of lying many times.

Still no answer to Trig's data though, is there?