• 62 Replies
?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
More konspirasee?
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/03/look_its_jersey_in_space.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jabella/tags/balloonlaunch/

Easy enough to do in your own backyard? Launch a weather ballon and take photos.

I can see curvature. I'm not posting this in 'proof' of a round earth, but to point you in the right direction to prove/disprove it yourself. If you simply wave this experiment off as fake, your are an ignorant prick. Do it yourself them come back and tell us it's fake.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Re: More konspirasee?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »

Easy enough to do in your own backyard? Launch a weather ballon and take photos.

I can see curvature. I'm not posting this in 'proof' of a round earth, but to point you in the right direction to prove/disprove it yourself. If you simply wave this experiment off as fake, your are an ignorant prick. Do it yourself them come back and tell us it's fake.

The fact that the Earth appears round at large distances or appears flat at short distances says nothing of its shape.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
So, if I were in space, and I saw this:

I should still not believe the earth is round? Of course it matters if it looks round. If it goddamn looks round, then it has to be fricken round. Bendy light doesn't cause the earth to 'appear' to wrap around on itself.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »

At the edge of space one is looking at the distant edges of the sun's circular spot of light upon the earth.

However, in that particular photo I believe a barrel effect is occurring to show slightly more curvature than what actually appears.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:35:43 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:22:23 AM »

At the edge of space one is looking at the distant edges of the sun's circular spot of light upon the earth.

However, in that particular photo I believe a barrel effect is occurring to show slightly more curvature than what actually appears.
Your explanations are feeble. A circle when looked at from above, would not like look as such. You would have to be immensely high for such a radius of curvature to appear. Looking down on a sphere from such a [relatively] low altitude, you are looking at the earth dropping away when viewed through a lens (or by looking at one particular perspective). How do you explain the atmosphere dropping away with the earth as well? Does it suddenly get invisible after a certain point? Is it always thicker over areas on earth where photos are always taken?

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:36:23 AM »
Launching such a craft would be highly irresponsible. It would be a danger to passing aircraft.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:55 AM »
Launching such a craft would be highly irresponsible. It would be a danger to passing aircraft.
No. As a licensed pilot you should well no that weather balloons are usually reported to the authorities so a NOTAM can be placed.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:12:50 AM »
No. As a licensed pilot you should well no that weather balloons are usually reported to the authorities so a NOTAM can be placed.
Usually is the important word. Must say though, I cannot recall ever seeing a weather balloon NOTAM. Maybe our paths have never crossed.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Catchpa

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:29:11 AM »
FE's have to dismiss this idea, because they can't be bothered doing any experiments themselves.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »
Usually is the important word. Must say though, I cannot recall ever seeing a weather balloon NOTAM. Maybe our paths have never crossed.
Have you ever heard of the "big sky theory"?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
The fact that the Earth appears round at large distances or appears flat at short distances says nothing of its shape.

... because?...

Is this always the case? How do you know this?

How do you know this?

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »
In a flat Earth, would not the whole planet be visible once you reached a specific angle?

Bendy light theory only suggests that directly vertical light doesn't bend and all light from the Earth bends perpendicular to the plane of the Earth while all light from space bends towards the plane of the Earth. (still waiting on the confirmation that this line of reasoning is an accurate interpretation of my readings.)

So then at what point does light stop bending or start bending the other way?
Where is the cylindrical atmosphere that we should be able to see?
Why can't we see more of the Earth's Surface?  That looks to be no more than 50 miles.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
Of course it matters if it looks round. If it goddamn looks round, then it has to be fricken round. Bendy light doesn't cause the earth to 'appear' to wrap around on itself.

But the fact that our everyday observation of the Earth shows it to be flat doesn't matter at all?  That old ugly RE double standard rears its head again.

Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Catchpa

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
Of course it matters if it looks round. If it goddamn looks round, then it has to be fricken round. Bendy light doesn't cause the earth to 'appear' to wrap around on itself.

But the fact that our everyday observation of the Earth shows it to be flat doesn't matter at all?  That old ugly RE double standard rears its head again.

The earth is flat when you stand on it, but round when you see it from up high.

.. Wait what?

I'm curious where you are to actually see a "flat earth", and not be obstructed by either mountains, hills or houses.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »

But the fact that our everyday observation of the Earth shows it to be flat doesn't matter at all?  That old ugly RE double standard rears its head again.

I'm confused as well.

Do you mean that the ground looks flat when looking towards the horizon because I gotta say, without anything in the way, it looks curved.
The sky even looks like a dome to me, though that may just be my imagination.

And if you go high into the sky, the Earth looks like a circle.  But it's a circle in which parts of it are not visible. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

But the fact that our everyday observation of the Earth shows it to be flat doesn't matter at all?  That old ugly RE double standard rears its head again.

The earth is flat when you stand on it, but round when you see it from up high.

.. Wait what?

I'm curious where you are to actually see a "flat earth", and not be obstructed by either mountains, hills or houses.

Ever been on a boat?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
It's clear from far more simple observations that light bends. There's nothing in this image that should not be expected (although I agree with Tom that there is some degree of distortion present in the image).
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
This is stupid. Someone explain to me the physics of a spotlight sun then, please. It's ridiculous and cannot possibly work.

Lorddave

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out if they believe that light bends one way when going from the sky and another when coming from the Earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
It's clear from far more simple observations that light bends. There's nothing in this image that should not be expected (although I agree with Tom that there is some degree of distortion present in the image).

???  So the earth is flat because bendy light makes it look round?  I though that the earth is flat because it looks flat.  Please make up your mind, will you?

Xibar

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

You are entirely correct, which is why it is stated in 14CFR (Federal Aviation Regulations) 101.37 that prior notice must be given to the nearest ATC facility so that it may be distributed to local Flight Service Stations.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »
I though that the earth is flat because it looks flat.

You did? Well, I don't.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »

You did? Well, I don't.

Well, there goes the Bedford Levels Experiment shot to hell.

Lorddave

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 10:51:34 AM »

You did? Well, I don't.

Well, there goes the Bedford Levels Experiment shot to hell.
I thought that was shot to hell with the invention of Bendy Light?

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 11:00:43 AM »

You did? Well, I don't.
I'm sitting in a multi storey office right now, and I can see the earth is flat. It looks flat. Why should I believe any different?
This seems to go against what you just said. Am I missing something?
Poor grammar is the internet equivalent of body odor.
My site.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »

I thought that Zetetics were meant to trust their senses. It looks round to me. (Yes, I know, look out of your window. But all I can see is a few houses and fences, and that tells me nothing about the shape of the earth.)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

You did? Well, I don't.
I'm sitting in a multi storey office right now, and I can see the earth is flat. It looks flat. Why should I believe any different?
This seems to go against what you just said. Am I missing something?

Yes, the bit where I say that the Earth is flat because it looks flat.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »

You're still not picking a case.

Is the earth flat because it looks flat, or is the earth flat because it looks round?

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »

You're still not picking a case.

Is the earth flat because it looks flat, or is the earth flat because it looks round?
They'll say it's flat because it says so in the logo of the site

LOL
~No Ordinary Moments~

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 06:10:11 AM »

I wouldn't trust what the Flat Earthers would release after such an experiment. Tom Bishop has shown he has intimate knowledge of Photoshop.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:12:47 AM by Globularist »