Does the flat earth rotate?

• 30 Replies
Does the flat earth rotate?
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
Title says it all.  Does the flat earth spin in a circle (as if a shaft were vertically going through it and it rotated around the shaft).
Obviously there is some sort of attracting phenomenon which affects the stars and planets.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Does the flat earth rotate?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
The general consensus among FE'ers is no, the FE does not rotate.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Xibar

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »
Plus if it did, there would be some semblance of a Coriolis Effect, without any changes in deflection near the Equator.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
Plus if it did, there would be some semblance of a Coriolis Effect, without any changes in deflection near the Equator.

If the flat earth doesn't rotate, how is wind created?
Obviously there is some sort of attracting phenomenon which affects the stars and planets.

?

Drdevice

• Deus of Machina
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
The sun moves around heating diffrent parts of the world. Thats part of how wind is made in the RE model.

Check the FAQ and the search button. I think there is more about it on here.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »

If the flat earth doesn't rotate, how is wind created?
On a round earth, the rotation isn't the root cause of wind. The sun is.

Xibar

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
To be more specific, uneven heating of the Earth's surface changes atmospheric density, creating distinct pressure areas that we know to be Highs and Lows. Wind is created by both this phenomenon as well as the two pressure areas trying to balance out again.

On a flat, non-rotating Earth those pressure areas would likely function differently, as large air currents would be larger-scale actions of what can be observed from a person standing on a beach. On a hot day, as the land warms faster than the ocean, ground-air rises, pulling ocean-air inland, creating an incoming wind. In the same location at night, the land cools faster, and the now-relatively warmer ocean air rises, bringing the wind out to sea.

Without rotation, this wind would probably move much more perpendicular to the land in much the same way. The Coriolis Effect moves these air masses in much less predictable ways, as it creates a circular rotation around the pressure areas.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
Err...
Wouldn't a non-rotating Earth require planets to move in very strange ways around our planet to accommodate for their very odd movements as viewed from the Earth's surface?

I'm pretty sure that even the Greeks saw this as a problem.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Err...
Wouldn't a non-rotating Earth require planets to move in very strange ways around our planet to accommodate for their very odd movements as viewed from the Earth's surface?

Yes. Retrograde motion. I called this and they said the planets just move oddly. As opposed to their movement being due to following a longer, slower path around another central object (The sun).

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
Err...

Yes. Retrograde motion. I called this and they said the planets just move oddly. As opposed to their movement being due to following a longer, slower path around another central object (The sun).

So it's one of those "Because we're special" things?

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
Err...

Yes. It's a
"That observation is due to something fucked up and not making any sense at all, because that's the only explanation if we assume a flat earth. I prefer to take the earth being flat as fact, then explain observations around this baseline, rather than using observations to prove a flat earth."  Thing.

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
Err...

Yes. It's a
"That observation is due to something fucked up and not making any sense at all, because that's the only explanation if we assume a flat earth. I prefer to take the earth being flat as fact, then explain observations around this baseline, rather than using observations to prove a flat earth."  Thing.

Wow... beginning to realize what a priviledge it si to be living on this planet.. it's pretty darn more special than I already thought
~No Ordinary Moments~

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
I believe that the planets move in perfectly regular orbits, but due to the bending of light their paths appear erratic.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
I believe that the planets move in perfectly regular orbits, but due to the bending of light their paths appear erratic.

So according to you, light bends by a series of complex rules designed to produce the desired effect and is specific to the object emitting the light as well as it's location relative to the observer?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »

So according to you, light bends by a series of complex rules designed to produce the desired effect and is specific to the object emitting the light as well as it's location relative to the observer?

What?  No, I don't think the rules are all that complex, and I see no reason to believe they were "designed" to produce anything; in fact, given how erratic the orbits appear from Earth, I'd say if it was designed the designer did an extremely lackluster job.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
What?  No, I don't think the rules are all that complex

Au contraire, the rules are so complex they have yet to be defined.

(And I wish you good luck in crowbarring retrograde planets into Bendy Light Theory)

Xibar

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
My recollection on this subject was that when people believed the Earth to be the center of the universe, it was very difficult to predict or even comprehend the orbits of the viewable planets.

Was it Galileo that proved the planets orbited the Sun? Believe so. My mind works with Science better than History, so correct me if I'm wrong.

In any event, after that, it became easier to track the planets as they now followed a logical path.

Lorddave

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »

What?  No, I don't think the rules are all that complex, and I see no reason to believe they were "designed" to produce anything; in fact, given how erratic the orbits appear from Earth, I'd say if it was designed the designer did an extremely lackluster job.

But you said that they move in perfect orbits but due to bendy light their paths appear erratic.  That suggests that the light bends to different points as it moves does it not?
In fact, it would have to bend in such a way as to produce the exact same effect as if the planets were all orbiting at different speeds and distances from the sun while we, the Earth, were also orbiting the sun in in the same plane.

And by designed, I mean the idea of bendy light.  Someone had to come up with the idea didn't they?  So whoever came up with the idea to account for the planetary paths in the sky as "bendy light" did an extremely lackluster job at explaining it.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
HOW THE HELL IS RETROGRADE MOTION SO PREDICTABLE THEN?

Your arguments are getting worse and worse. I'm actually beyond the point of being pissed off.

"BENDY LIGHT MAKES A HORIZON, RETROGRADE MOTION AND CURVATURE"
"THE SUN US A SPOTLIGHT, THAT'S WHY IT LOOKS ROUND"
"THE EARTH LOOKS PRETTY FLAT TO ME"

"But, you just said it looks round...?"

"THAT IS BECAUSE BENDY LIGHT DOES THIS TO THIS AND THEN THIS HAPPENS."

"That makes no sense. You aren't taking into account the laws of physics"

"YES, THAT'S BECAUSE A FLAT EARTH HAS DIFFERENT LAWS OF PHYSICS"

"But, we are ON the earth. If the laws were different, we would all adhere to them. The FE isn't a different place, it's suppossed to be the place that we are on"

"NO, THIS IS DUE TO BENDY LIGHT. PLZ SEE MY WIKI AND READ EARTH NOT A GLOBE"

"I don't have that book. How can I read it if I'm poor and they don't stock fiction under the Dewey decimal system at my library?"
"..................... BENDY LIGHT"

knob. Learn physics, then tell me how bendy light works.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:36:59 PM by 2fst4u »

Misterkami

• Round Earth enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »

Your arguments are getting worse and worse. I'm actually beyond the point of being pissed off.

"But, we are ON the earth. If the laws were different, we would all adhere to them. The FE isn't a different place, it's suppossed to be the place that we are on"

"I don't have that book. How can I read it if I'm poor and they don't stock fiction under the Dewey decimal system at my library?"

I just read your comment and it looked as if you were converted to the FE model and were now at peace with the universe. But I may have misread it due to a bendy light distortion between my monitor and my eyes.. I bet, without bendy light, I would read that you just gave a nice summary of the retarted methods many FE supporters use to force their idea into the realm of possibility..
~No Ordinary Moments~

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »

I just read your comment and it looked as if you were converted to the FE model and were now at peace with the universe. But I may have misread it due to a bendy light distortion between my monitor and my eyes.. I bet, without bendy light, I would read that you just gave a nice summary of the retarted methods many FE supporters use to force their idea into the realm of possibility..
Sorry, I don;t know what you're trying to say in reply. My screen is blurred due to bendy light.

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
i think most of the books they ask you to read are free.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

The same reason it is in RET, essentially; although the paths appear erratic, they are in fact regular.

Lorddave

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »

The same reason it is in RET, essentially; although the paths appear erratic, they are in fact regular.

That's impossible.
The RET reason is that the Earth rotates around the sun WITH the other planets. (those are the easiest to see the erratic patterns)  Essentially, everything is regular (including the Earth)
FET says the Earth is special and doesn't follow the same rules as everything else.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 08:14:50 PM »

That's impossible.
The RET reason is that the Earth rotates around the sun WITH the other planets. (those are the easiest to see the erratic patterns)  Essentially, everything is regular (including the Earth)
FET says the Earth is special and doesn't follow the same rules as everything else.

No, that's just wrong.  I suggest you familiarize yourself better with our theories before posting again.

Lorddave

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »

That's impossible.

No, that's just wrong.  I suggest you familiarize yourself better with our theories before posting again.

I'm sorry, what part of...

The Earth is a Flat disk that moves up with a constant acceleration and all the other celestial bodies are spheres that rotate in a regular pattern around the Earth.

Was I wrong about?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »

That's impossible.

The Earth is a Flat disk that moves up with a constant acceleration and all the other celestial bodies are spheres that rotate in a regular pattern around the Earth.

Was I wrong about?

Well, I wouldn't say they rotate "around" the Earth, but other than that this is entirely accurate.

Lorddave

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

That's impossible.

Was I wrong about?

Well, I wouldn't say they rotate "around" the Earth, but other than that this is entirely accurate.
Good.  So...

The Earth is a flat disk that moves in a single direction(there is no up without defining what up is) with a constant acceleration and all other celestial bodies are spheres that moves in regular patterns around the Earth.
From the perspective of the Earth it appears as though we are on a heliocentric, round planet but Bendy Light (which can't be proven), makes it look that way.

There, I think I got the next definition of Flat Earth.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »
i think most of the books they ask you to read are free.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"