And now we're in Spain's largest newspaper!

• 41 Replies
?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
Re: And now we're in Spain's largest newspaper!
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
And this isn't a success because...?

You're not being taken seriously. It's just thousands of bored people. Serzly dude hubris less.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Because most of those thousands of people were angry noobs that were banned almost immediately.  You know, sort of like the angry noobs invading right now.

Nah, loads came here without even posting. And these aren't noobs, it's just one of the periodic invasions.

You're not being taken seriously. It's just thousands of bored people. Serzly dude hubris less.

It's not hubris to suggest that getting people to come here via the media is good. Stop being so dumb and obviously contrary for the sake of it.

It's not like these were grand, costly media campaigns. We put a little in, and got a lot out of it. I consider that a success.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
It's not hubris to suggest that getting people to come here via the media is good.

It is if you're the type who would confuse lolcats for a militant animal rights movement.

People come here. Look around. Laff. Ban hammer. Wash. Repeat.

They get the good feeling that comes from laffing at dumb people. You get the good feeling of the ban hammer. Everyone goes home happy. Blow jobs all round.

You're not being taken seriosuly. Stop thinking you are. I'm really saying this for your benefit not mine. I don't want a brother from another mother to get hurt.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
If what you're questioning is whether they took us 'seriously', then it seems to me that all these articles represent us as seriously believing that the Earth is flat. We're not expecting them to agree with us, just to represent our society in a fair way. I think the BBC and Guardian articles do that, and hence it's perfectly reasonable to say we were taken seriously.

However, I was originally replying to sillyrob, who claimed no 'legit' newspaper or news organisation would give us article space. I think the BBC, Guardian etc. are pretty much the definition of 'serious' news organisations. Basically, you're on to a loser, so quit now. Nobody can seriously suggest that these articles weren't a good thing for the society, and the fact is if they didn't exist, you'd be in a similar topic laughing at us for precisely that reason.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:34:53 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Nope they just make sure they don't feed the troll.

The guardian cuts FET down early on in a couple of sentences. Guardian readers, being smart bunnies that they are, don't need to read details of proofs. After that its plain sailing to a few hundred words of whimsy.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »
Nope they just make sure they don't feed the troll.

The guardian cuts FET down early on in a couple of sentences. Guardian readers, being smart bunnies that they are, don't need to read details of proofs. After that its plain sailing to a few hundred words of whimsy.

To be fair to the Guardian, they weren't cutting FET down, just stating a fact. People regularly use terms like 'Flat Earther' to mock people, or refer to organisations or groupings they are opposed to as 'the Flat Earth Society'. The whole global warming debate is a prime example; we even saw Gordon Brown doing it.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
To be fair to the Guardian, they weren't cutting FET down, just stating a fact.

Correct.

... a group that has become a living metaphor for backward thinking and a refusal to face scientific facts.

The scientific evidence is stacked against Shenton, ?obviously, just as it is against those who think global warming is a hoax and that the dead stalk the Earth as ghosts

Inevitably, Shenton's ?argument forces him down all kinds of logical blind alleys ? the non-existence of gravity, and his argument that most space exploration, and so the moon landings, are faked.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
To be fair to the Guardian, they weren't cutting FET down, just stating a fact.

Correct.

... a group that has become a living metaphor for backward thinking and a refusal to face scientific facts.

The scientific evidence is stacked against Shenton, ?obviously, just as it is against those who think global warming is a hoax and that the dead stalk the Earth as ghosts

Inevitably, Shenton's ?argument forces him down all kinds of logical blind alleys ? the non-existence of gravity, and his argument that most space exploration, and so the moon landings, are faked.

That bit's half-way through the article. By "early on" I thought you meant the intro at the beginning.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
That bit's half-way through the article. By "early on" I thought you meant the intro at the beginning.

Grief. Are you really this desperate for a win?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »

Grief. Are you really this desperate for a win?

No, it'd just be nice if you'd troll with greater clarity. I consider the Guardian article to be the only 'win' that matters.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
No, it'd just be nice if you'd troll with greater clarity.

I was pretty clear. It's all getting horribly sad now brother Wilmore.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
No, it'd just be nice if you'd troll with greater clarity.

I was pretty clear. It's all getting horribly sad now brother Wilmore.

Yeah, it is, which is why I'm locking this thread.