Ask a Christian anything.

• 1304 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Ask a Christian anything.
« Reply #1230 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »
Just because God knows the future doesn't mean he's going to control you in it.

If God knows the future, then you're already controlled because it is predetermined.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #1231 on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
Just because God knows the future doesn't mean he's going to control you in it.

If he knows what your are going to do (divine foreknowledge), then you do not have the ability to do otherwise, therefore there is no free will.

Just because you are making a choice, you mind makes the decision, does not necessarily mean it was free.

Again: suppose a man be carried, whilst fast asleep, into a room where is a person he longs to see and speak with; and be there locked fast in, beyond his power to get out: he awakes, and is glad to find himself in so desirable company, which he stays willingly in, i.e. prefers his stay to going away. I ask, is not this stay voluntary? I think nobody will doubt it: and yet, being locked fast in, it is evident he is not at liberty not to stay, he has not freedom to be gone. So that liberty is not an idea belonging to volition, or preferring; but to the person having the power of doing, or forbearing to do, according as the mind shall choose or direct. Our idea of liberty reaches as far as that power, and no farther. For wherever restraint comes to check that power, or compulsion takes away that indifferency of ability to bear acting, there liberty, and our notion of it, presently ceases

John Locke

Is the man who chose to stay in the room making that choice freely if he was locked in?  Do we make our everyday descisions freely if they are predestined?

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1232 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »

Then Babs, am I right to guess that you do not believe in Divine Foreknowledge?  God does not know what is going to happen?
God can look into our future but does not; he's not some fortune teller being.  That would be like saying, he is going to perform a tarot reading, or read your palm, which would be engaging in mediums or alchemy.  He let's it play out, and we may not be in his favor when doing bad things, but if we turn over a whole new leaf, then we would be in his favor.  The Bible talks about making your mind over and stripping off the old personalities.  (See Ro 12:2; Col 3:9)  It also talks about when one doing bad turns back against wickedness, the previous works are not remembered.  Meaning He doesn't keep score, and then hold it against you for what you did before.  (Ez 3:20; 33:12; & 13 then go back to verse 11 and it will make sense.)

This is actually a good thing, because if we had pre-destined futures of just being badly molded clay and damned from the start - why try and do what is right.  Yet if all are resurrected no matter what, then again why try to do what is right, for you would be a shoe-in or as they say ... in like Flynn.  We all have free will, but many will pray and say, ... let your will be done, because if we pray in accordance with what he wants, we will be guided.  However ultimately, in the "end", it will be God's will.  (And no I don't mean the end of your one dilema.)
If God has the ability to look into the future, than the future is set.  If God has the ability to look into the future and know for a fact that I am going to eat corn flakes tomorrow, then that future is set, and I do not have the ability to choose otherwise.  This is true even if God chooses not to look into the future.
I answered this twice, and now you are picking it apart with minutia about the habits of your breakfast routine, and being flippant as it pertains to God.  As Parisifal would say, ... irrelevant.   God does not care what you eat for breakfast, as long as it is not immoral, illegal, unethical, unscriptural etc. etc.  If you were to eat your corn flakes with the cut up little fingers of children you have multilated, then yes He would care about what is in your A.M. milk bowl.  Otherwise he could care less, or should I say couldn't care less, and your future is not set.  If you want to seek, then seek, but if you want to make a mockery out of God, then I'm not interested.

You completely ignored the point that Marcus made.  You haven't answered this at all, let alone twice. This wasn't about breakfast habits, or God caring about anything.  It was about free will, or the lack thereof. 

Did respond to this about 4 pages back ... first addressed (in opposition) to badly molded clay presented by Canadark - my post June 13th 2:17:17 A.M. then again another response by me as it pertains to "free will" (but not without consequences) AND our lives not pre-destined, on the same day June 13th but later at 2:21:12 P.M.

I am using an example to illistrate why it is impossible for God to know the future, or have the ability to know according to you, and for human free will to exist.  My example has nothing to do with whether or not God cares about my breakfast routine.  You could substitute your example of finger cereal and it does not change my argument one bit.

My argument is, if God has the ability to know the future (even if he choses not too), then free will does not exist.  You have indicated that both are possible, yet you have not answered how.

Since you put it this way, I will again try and answer.
Even Jesus himself was a free moral agent.  Just before the events took place where the crowded mob came with clubs (and He was taken by the Sanhedrin, then to Pilate, then Herod, then back to Pilate), Jesus was praying in the garden at Gethsemane, all the while Judas had been plotting and events were in motion.  3 separate times (says Gospel of John or maybe Luke) that Jesus prayed to His father, and asked - (paraphrasing) Can't you remove this cup from me, can you pass it on to someone else?  (Cup is figurative.)  Jesus could have run out of the Garden at Gethsemane, but He did not; He knew what He had to do - it had been written.  He could still have run out, but He chose to fulfill the prophesy, and He did NOT put up a fight, or try and break away when they arrested him.  When He was slapped, spit on, beaten, still He did not retaliate, NOR did he order his apostles to do so.  The matter was NOT one-sided, resting solely with God, for His Son must still do his part.

In addition to cooperation on His son's part, the above is related to prophesy, and YOUR life Marcus and mine are not related to prophesy, since I don't remember reading about you or me in the bible - so no worries, you are not asked to perform some special function of saving the world.  You only need to follow his commands to save yourself. 

Is that clearer?  I hope.

Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

« Reply #1233 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:59 PM »
Do you think God made more than 1 universe?

No, I don't believe he did.
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #1234 on: June 22, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
Maybe the human concept of time buggers it up. Perhaps time is not a variable thing at all, and seeing the future doesn't even exist as a concept.

That was always my thought on that matter. In the bible it states that God is outside of time ("Before Abraham was, I AM") therefore God would be seeing past, present and future all at the same time as though it is happening right now. If I watch you do something I know what you are doing but you can't say I'm making you do it, it would be the same for God in that sense, he's just watching the future as if it was the present.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1235 on: July 13, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1236 on: July 14, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »
Maybe the human concept of time buggers it up. Perhaps time is not a variable thing at all, and seeing the future doesn't even exist as a concept.

That was always my thought on that matter. In the bible it states that God is outside of time ("Before Abraham was, I AM") therefore God would be seeing past, present and future all at the same time as though it is happening right now. If I watch you do something I know what you are doing but you can't say I'm making you do it, it would be the same for God in that sense, he's just watching the future as if it was the present.
Whilst he is not making you do it, if he is seeing the future like it is the present then it canot be changed and is then a constant.
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #1237 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »

Whilst he is not making you do it, if he is seeing the future like it is the present then it canot be changed and is then a constant.

Well why can't the future as God is seeing it be changing as the present changes? As we make decisions that affect our future, the future could change as to God its all happening at the same time.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #1238 on: July 14, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
My point, actually, was that seeing the future is impossible for God as it is impossible, even as a concept; for example, even God couldn't make half a hole, because it doesn't exist, even as an idea.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1239 on: July 14, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
Can God change the future, or would he already of foresaw himself doing it?

« Reply #1240 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
If God does know the future then why did he make n bet with the devil by letting him take away Jobs riches end kill his children.? just to show that Job wont lose his Faith?If he knew what the outcome would be what was the point of all that?just to show the devil he is right?
Rules!! I hate RULES!!!

« Reply #1241 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
So God do throw dice...
Rules!! I hate RULES!!!

« Reply #1242 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
My point, actually, was that seeing the future is impossible for God as it is impossible, even as a concept; for example, even God couldn't make half a hole, because it doesn't exist, even as an idea.

Does the future exist?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #1243 on: July 15, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »
Not really.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1244 on: April 19, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
Did Jesus have siblings?

Yes. The book of James was written by Jesus' half brother (Mathew 12:46).

Yes but 3 other half brothers and some half sisters.  Other brothers were Joseph, Simon, and Judas or Jude. 

Jesus' half brother Judas/Jude wrote the Book (or the Letter) of Jude in the NT. (Not Judas Iscariot - traitor, and also NOT Judas son of James)

JESUS's SIBLINGS

The brothers names (all 4) and the mention of sisters (unamed) are located at Matthew 13:55 & 56.  Jesus was oldest son and firstborn son - see Luke 2:7.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:59:10 PM by babsinva »
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1245 on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
Some Christians are of the belief that the gifts of knowledge, wisdom, tongues, and prophecy ended with the era of the Apostles.

GIFTS OF TONGUES AND OTHER GIFTS

SOme Christians believe this whereas others think these gifts still go on.  Personally I'm going by the Bible only.

In reference to gifts of tongues, see Acts 2:4 14, 17; 10:44-46; 19:6 and 8:14-18.

1)  More information on this gift and others can be derived from the fact that these gifts were then passed on to others by the laying on of hands by the apostles, and they are no more.

2) Additionally Bible tells us that NOT all who have God's spirit would in fact speak in tongues, so it can't be a sign of true worship or only for real Christians because NOT all had the gift.  See 1Cor 14:26 to show there were different gifts and not all had the same gift.  And see 14:22 which says gifts of tongues are NOT a sign for the believers but the unbelievers. (they need something concrete to believe in)

3) 1Cor 13:8-10 states these things will be done away with and also says when that which is "complete arrives" they will be no more.  The Bible is complete when John while incarcerated in Patmos wrote Revelation.  Some Bible use the wording ... when that which is "perfect is come", whereas perfect in this context is taken from the Greek word    te' lei.on, which conveys the thought of being full, or complete, grown.  When the last apostle (John) had passed and the Bible was complete, there are no more such gifts.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:46:35 PM by babsinva »

« Reply #1246 on: July 25, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
Serious defects in the arguments about the KJV OT:

The Masoretic text was established about the 7th or 8th century AD.  And once it was established the "original text" - in the sense of non-Masoretic Hebrew text - vanished.  The Masoretic text was supposedly (its history can only be pieced together from folkloric bits) intended to preserve the text in the condition closest to the oldest form that could be re-created.  Even so, there are some differences from pre-Masoretic texts, such as Talmudic quotations and the Dead Sea Scrolls - but there is no convincing reason to suppose those Pre-Masoretic differences are preferable.

The Pre-Masoretic samples  (the so-called "original" Hebrew texts) were not available to the KJV translators.  A good deal of the "science" in Masoretic texts was also not available to the KJV translators, owing to the poor quality of printed editions available to them.

The primary innovation in the Masoretic text was the addition (possibly also the creation) of the vowel points and the musical accent marks.  Pre-Masoretic samples primarily are the same words - just the  consonants without vowel points or accent marks, so that a certain amount of fluency is necessary to identify the words accurately.  A number of modern versions (among them the RSV) make a point of using the unpointed text as the basis of the OT text; the result has been only a few words translated differently than by relying on the Masoretic marks.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:41:38 PM by Cartog »

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1247 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
Who in God's name is this directed at?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #1248 on: July 26, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »
Who in God's name is this directed at?
The year 2010 apparently.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
I like the title of this thread. As if christians are a rarity, and it's something very special when someone does an AMA.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #1250 on: July 27, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
I can't believe nobody has attempted to ask the most pertinent question of all....

What does God need with a starship?
You just got Weskered, bitches!

RocketSauce

• I kill penguins for fun
« Reply #1251 on: July 28, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
Are we born perfect in God's eyes?
Quote from: Every FE'r

Please don't mention Himawari 8
Quote from: sceptimatic
Impossible to have the same volume and different density.

*fact*
Extra Virgin Penguin Blood is a natural aphrodisiac

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #1252 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:46 AM »

As a Christian I can empirically answer this question in the negative.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #1253 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
The Ancient Greek KNEW their gods were real, the Egyptians KNEW their gods were real, the Aztecs KNEW their gods were real, so what makes Christianity any different? Maybe in a few thousand years humanity will look back and view Christianity in the same light as those "wrong" religions.

RocketSauce

« Reply #1254 on: July 30, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »

So is the Christian answer, no we are not born perfect in Gods eye?

Hmmm

*fact*

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1255 on: July 30, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

So is the Christian answer, no we are not born perfect in Gods eye?

Hmmm

That is correct.  You are not born perfect.

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #1256 on: July 30, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »
How can a perfect being create anything but something perfect? It would have no concept of imperfection.

RocketSauce

« Reply #1257 on: July 30, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
Is that why God wants us all to chop the ends of our dicks off?

I have seen enough religious debates to know it is nearly impossible to debate a believer in religion... similar to converting a FE'r... not gonna happen... eventually logic and reason gives way to faith and stubborn...

If you are SO committed to a stance or position or ideology that it becomes your identity and you fail to acknowledge its shortcomings... what's the point in a debate?

I, unfortunately, am a Browns (American football team) fan... they are not a good team... they do not win games... but I root for them. Why? Because I was born at a certain time and place and it is part of my identity. Do I believe in them? Well, i know they exist.... but i don't have faith in them to win... I would not argue for anyone to be a Browns fan... it is almost like my own victim identity...

"JEEZ, my team lost the super bowl..."

"Oh yeah? Well I am Browns fan, and there is nothing I can do about it!!!"

"Oh man, how rude of me, I didn't know.... I'm sorry"

My acquired personal view of the universe allows for a super natural entity/power in some form but not for an established mainstream religion.

*fact*

The Real Celine Dion

• Use as directed
« Reply #1258 on: July 30, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »

I have seen enough religious debates to know it is nearly impossible to debate a believer in religion... similar to converting a FE'r... not gonna happen... eventually logic and reason gives way to faith and stubborn...

If you are SO committed to a stance or position or ideology that it becomes your identity and you fail to acknowledge its shortcomings... what's the point in a debate?

I, unfortunately, am a Browns (American football team) fan... they are not a good team... they do not win games... but I root for them. Why? Because I was born at a certain time and place and it is part of my identity. Do I believe in them? Well, i know they exist.... but i don't have faith in them to win... I would not argue for anyone to be a Browns fan... it is almost like my own victim identity...

My acquired personal view of the universe allows for a super natural entity/power in some form but not for an established mainstream religion.

I'm a Saints fan, so especially after last year I think "Well it could be worse...I could be a Brown fan"

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1259 on: July 30, 2018, 05:47:48 PM »
How can a perfect being create anything but something perfect? It would have no concept of imperfection.

If you are asking me the inner workings of creation and God's reasoning for such actions I cannot help you.

If you are asking for biblical backings for my answer to the question I would be more than happy to oblige.

God does not care about the tip of your dick. Nor does he require you to chop the end of it off.  If the tip of your dick was chopped off in the name of God then the adults that presided over that function were mistaken.  I am sorry for your loss.

And yet here you are in the religion section of the forum....having discussion about religion.

My advice, find a new hobby.  May I recommend stamp collecting?  I find it 1000 times more fascinating than that so called "sport".