Ask a Christian anything.

• 1304 Replies
Re: Ask a Christian anything.
« Reply #990 on: May 15, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
That made me chuckle, but no.
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #991 on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »
Yes, because the first 4 commandments, again if I remember my Christian days properly, are all about God and it's already been admitted that you cannot be found guilty for not following God if you don't know he exists...

I'm starting to believe that might not be true but regardless, Christians are instructed to communicate the gospel. If what you mentioned is in fact true then it would make sense that merely hearing the gospel does not set you up for judgment, but you actually have to understand it fully and willingly reject it.

And yet you have said that anybody who understands it will not reject it. I am an apostate of Christianity, will I be judged harshly because I turned my back on the teachings or leniently because I obviously didn't understand them?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #992 on: May 15, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »
WWhat is the purpose of Evangelism?

Based on evidence posted here, I'd hypothesise that the purpose of evangelism is to reduce the number of people getting into heaven.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #993 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
WWhat is the purpose of Evangelism?

Based on evidence posted here, I'd hypothesise that the purpose of evangelism is to reduce the number of people getting into heaven.

In fact, no gods anywhere play chess. They prefer simple, vicious games, where you Do Not Achieve Transcendence but Go Straight to Oblivion; a key to the understanding of all religion is that a god's idea of amusement is Snakes and Ladders with greased rungs. - Terry Pratchett

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #994 on: May 15, 2010, 10:47:06 PM »
Yes, because the first 4 commandments, again if I remember my Christian days properly, are all about God and it's already been admitted that you cannot be found guilty for not following God if you don't know he exists...

I'm starting to believe that might not be true but regardless, Christians are instructed to communicate the gospel.

If what you mentioned is in fact true then it would make sense that merely hearing the gospel does not set you up for judgment, but you actually have to understand it fully and willingly reject it.
Partially disagree with 1st half, and partially agree with 2nd, which is why I split Canadark's remarks in half.  This is something that I can mostly agree on with Canadark and will give credit where credit is due.

Christians are instructed to communicate the entire bible, not just the gospel (the 4).

As Chris had said, you would have to know God or can't be guilty, then Canadark said if that is true that would make sense that one would have to understand it fully and reject it willingly.  Response as it applies to Canadark's remark:  This is true for the "unforgiveable sin", which is when apostasy sets in.  This is the same as life in prison without the possibility of parole.  (Just an analogy in a worldy way.)  Others sins, may or may not be forgiven, for God is the judge, and the reader of hearts.  

Response as it applies to Chris:  One that purposely, willfully, practices sin is said to have no saving left for sins. (see He 10:26)  This is not exactly the same thing as apostasy and the unforgiveable, but means to know and not do.  In otherwords, you may not have committed the unforgiveable, but you have knowledge that you do not use or follow.  How is that different?  Because one may believe in God, and the bible, and love God, but does not hate the bad (hate enough to stop doing it).  You love what is good, but do not hate what is bad, and unwilling to make those changes, and put God first.

If neither of the 2 situations applies as laid out above, then one who never comes to know God (and not guilty per Chris) is still a sinner.  You are still guilty of the sins, you are just not guilty as to being an apostate, OR being one that had come to know YET did not use the knowledge afforded him.  This is why you MAY still be forgiven.  The bible says there will be a saving of the righteous and unrighteous.  (see Acts)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:54:43 PM by babsinva »
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #995 on: May 16, 2010, 12:33:40 AM »
For Babs and Canadark:

What happens if your Karma runs over your Dogma?

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #996 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
For Babs and Canadark:

What happens if your Karma runs over your Dogma?

I can't let the small city NE of Fallujah (Karma) run over apologists.

Myk - LOL that's cute.  But you know me, I can't get too silly in R&P - will have to save that for RM.

Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

« Reply #997 on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
What is the purpose of Evangelism?

No, that's not it either.

But_I_Digress

• I know I'm sexy.
« Reply #998 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »

That may not be the purpse, but it is the end result.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:18:59 PM by But_I_Digress »
The only possible explanation for this is that the Earth is generally spherical in shape, otherwise, such a perpetual curvature could not exist

Wilmore is a RE'er in disguise

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #999 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »

I see nothing to indicate the contrary.

« Reply #1000 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
Any other takers?

We have repeatedly established within this interpretation of scripture that the purpose of evangelism is not to get as many people into heaven as possible.

What then is its purpose?

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: May 17, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
Is it not obvious?  It's to give people a false sense of wellbeing.

?

Mykael

« Reply #1002 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
Any other takers?

We have repeatedly established within this interpretation of scripture that the purpose of evangelism is not to get as many people into heaven as possible.

To satisfy people's innate need to convert other people to their own personal opinions and beliefs?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1003 on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »
Any other takers?

To satisfy people's innate need to convert other people to their own personal opinions and beliefs?

This.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #1004 on: May 18, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
To create a false authority which can be used to control the population?

« Reply #1005 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:55 AM »
Nope.

Let me ask it differently: According to the Bible, what is the purpose of evangelism?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1006 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
Oh, you Canadian minx, stop teasing us and tell us what is the purpose of evangeklism.

?

Mykael

« Reply #1007 on: May 18, 2010, 07:56:12 AM »
Nope.

Let me ask it differently: According to the Bible, what is the purpose of evangelism?
Because God told us to
       \

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1008 on: May 18, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »
Is it because Jesus can't come back until everyone on earth has had the chance to accept him as their lord and savior?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #1009 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
Nope.

Because God told us to
       \

That is not even a valid answer to the question I asked.

Is it because Jesus can't come back until everyone on earth has had the chance to accept him as their lord and savior?

Good guess, but no.

?

Mykael

« Reply #1010 on: May 18, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
Nope.

Because God told us to
       \

God tells you to spread the Good News and evangelize. Surely you're not questioning God?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1011 on: May 18, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Building an army to fight Satan? Just tell us what you think it is.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #1012 on: May 18, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »

This thread is called "Ask a christian anything" not "A Christian asks a question and then gets uppity until you say what he wants to hear"

« Reply #1013 on: May 18, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Nope.

Because God told us to
       \

This thread is called "Ask a christian anything" not "A Christian asks a question and then gets uppity until you say what he wants to hear"

God tells you to spread the Good News and evangelize. Surely you're not questioning God?

God does tell us to evangelize, but he didn't answer my question, I asked, "what is the purpose of evangelism?" to which the volcano answered "because God tells us to". His reply didn't even make sense.

The purpose of evangelism is to make people into disciples of Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:30:18 PM by Canadark »

« Reply #1014 on: May 18, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
A hypothetical: I'm in the middle of the Australian outback with my wife and my fanbelt has broken. Should I

(a) pray for assistance
or
(b) get her tights off?

If she's a transexual, does this change anything?

(c) All of the above.

Also, do Canadians call them tights or nylons?

( ) or _ ?

?

Mykael

« Reply #1015 on: May 18, 2010, 11:58:57 PM »
That's really not much better than my answer. What is the purpose of making people into disciples of Jesus?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »

Even though you happily admit it does more harm than good?

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #1017 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:15 AM »

But people who don't know about Jesus are already disciples of Jesus.

Or does heaven let people in that are not disciples of Jesus?

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #1018 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
Interesting video from a former catholic priest.  His answer contradict some on this thread, though that may simply be because of the difference between catholics and other christians.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardtarte#p/u/7/tR-1epQms9Y

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1019 on: May 20, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
Interesting video from a former catholic priest.  His answer contradict some on this thread, though that may simply be because of the difference between catholics and other christians.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardtarte#p/u/7/tR-1epQms9Y 

Interesting and I want to listen more.  He has several videos he has uploaded and I want to hear them all eventually.   He's an ex-Catholic, and I'm an ex-Catholic, and alot of what he says makes sense, maybe not all - but then again I haven't listened to all yet. 

I do wish he had found another religion, instead of completely dropping out of a religion entirely, but then again after the Catholics schooled him, - it really is enough to make any one wonder if there is a God.  I kinda feel for him, - sad.