Is this my boat?

• 21 Replies
?

Drdevice

• Deus of Machina
Is this my boat?
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »
Let us say that I sailed across a lake in a wooden boat. Now this boat remains in dry dock from now untill the end of the earth. Every year I replace one of the boards with a new one, after replacing the board I add it to another boat thats just made out of the old wood.

Now here is the question, does replacing a board make the first boat not the one I sailed across the lake in? At what point would it stop being the boat I sailed across the lake in? And what is the other boat once all the pieces have been switched out?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: Is this my boat?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
Well that's entirely up to you, isn't it? Our mental catagorisations don't originate from the objects in question.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »
Once there are no pieces of the original boat left....it no longer is the original boat.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
Let us say that I sailed across a lake in a wooden boat. Now this boat remains in dry dock from now untill the end of the earth. Every year I replace one of the boards with a new one, after replacing the board I add it to another boat thats just made out of the old wood.

Now here is the question, does replacing a board make the first boat not the one I sailed across the lake in? At what point would it stop being the boat I sailed across the lake in? And what is the other boat once all the pieces have been switched out?
This is a good paradox(I've heard it as "my grandfather's axe) that brings up questions with teleportation of objects in question as well.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

Drdevice

• Deus of Machina
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
Does replacing one piece of the boat make it not my boat?

It's the same as trying to define when a pile is no longer a pile.

I have a pile of rice, if I take one piece of rice it is still a pile. If we astablish that taking one away does not make it any less of (my boat, or a pile) then at what point does it stop being the old?

Lord Wilmore is right onto things. Just because I say the single grain of rice is still a pile doesn't mean that it is too you. Or that my boat is no longer my boat. If my boat where to have some historical significance it would only come down to the significance behind the story, not the object itself.

I almost wish you hadn't posted willmore I wanted to see what kinds of deranged arguments I could get from this.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
You're simply arguing over terminology.  It's all about how you define the words you are using.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:26 AM »
Humans have always had problems cataloguing objects which aren't clear-cut and immutable. The question could ask 'when is a village not a village?' if you take away one house it's still a village... etc.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:35 AM »
As you would die before completing the task, it would be your boat until you died.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:00:43 AM »
Even something as simple as what makes a chair a chair poses problems. For example, ask yourself what the precise difference is between a stool and a table. I doubt you'll come up with a meaningful answer that cannot in some way be exposed.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
Even something as simple as what makes a chair a chair poses problems. For example, ask yourself what the precise difference is between a stool and a table. I doubt you'll come up with a meaningful answer that cannot in some way be exposed.
????????????????????
The Bristol stool scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »
Aslong as you still own the wood its always yours, but as soon as one thing changes, its fundamentally not the same boat.
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
Aslong as you still own the wood its always yours, but as soon as one thing changes, its fundamentally not the same boat.

This would imply that you are no longer fundamentally yourself, as cells are constantly being lost and regrown.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »

This would imply that you are no longer fundamentally yourself, as cells are constantly being lost and regrown.
Regrown from what?

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
How many memories can i lose before i stop being me?

EnigmaZV

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

Regrown from what?
Regrown from materials received from the environment, which are then taken in by the cell in order to replicate.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
So we're all REALLY the flat earth.

Enigma provided the most believable proof for FET I've ever read!

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »

All, for is an infant with no memories not still themselves?

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »

All, for is an infant with no memories not still themselves?
Ask someone with alzheimers.I SPELLED IT WRONG. Fuck you spell check...

Also... an infant has no memories to base its personality on.

Catchpa

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:02 PM »

Once just above 50% has been changed from the boat, it is now another boat.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »

Once just above 50% has been changed from the boat, it is now another boat.
ur dum. Once it's been changed, it's not the same thing.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 06:01:03 AM »
So you've all been several people in the course of your lives, right?

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 08:03:32 AM »
So you've all been several people in the course of your lives, right?
By my count, I am currently fourteen people right now.