What about the Coriolis Effect?

• 54 Replies
What about the Coriolis Effect?
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »
The Coriolis Effect causes tornadoes, hurricanes, flushing toilets etc. to rotate counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere. 

More on the Coriolis force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect 
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/coriolis_effect.html

With a flat earth, if the flat disk is spinning, the Coriolis effect would cause all these things to spin in the same direction.  The only way to make hurricanes in the Southern hemisphere spin clockwise with a flat earth is if the Southern hemisphere were rotating the opposite direction of the Northern hemisphere.  If this were the case, there would be obvious evidence (there isn't).

This brings us to 2 possible conclusions:
1.  Every single hurricane, tornado, toilet and wind current since the dawn of time is part of the Conspiracy.
2.  Earth is round.

If you choose the former, be prepared to explain how inanimate objects were convinced to join the conspiracy.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: What about the Coriolis Effect?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
You're wrong.  The Coriolis Force has no effect on our toilets.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that it affects hurricanes, tornadoes and wind currents.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
Roundy is right. Toilets are not influence by the Coriolis Effect. As for Tornados, it has something to do with gears under the Earth I think.
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »
Roundy is right. Toilets are not influence by the Coriolis Effect. As for Tornados, it has something to do with gears under the Earth I think.

Gears under the Earth?  How could that appreciably change the direction air moves? Are these gears man-made, or naturally-occurring?  I've never seen a gear form naturally, and for it to be man-made, it must have been built without anybody seeing it.  To build a machine on that magnitude, secretly, would be so expensive that it defies any conspiracy theory (the tax dollars going to NASA couldn't possibly pay for that).

?

flyingmonkey

• Troll trolling Trolls
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »

Ofcourse not toilets

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:19 AM »
You're wrong.  The Coriolis Force has no effect on our toilets.

Ofcourse not toilets

Obviously, the water in that sink has been bribed by NASA.  ;)

Thanks for the vindication.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:14:47 AM by SurfGuy »

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
You're wrong.  The Coriolis Force has no effect on our toilets.

Ofcourse not toilets

Obviously, the water in that sink has been bribed by NASA.  ;)

Thanks for the vindication.

That video is a trick:
http://www.tylerwhitaker.com/2008/05/23/my-attempt-to-find-the-ecuadorian-equator/#more-84

Read the comments.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »
It has been proposed that the rotating firmament accounts for the effect.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »

That's it! The gear thing!

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »

The 'gears' analogy is misleading.  That would simply be an aid to provide easier conceptualization.

?

ERTW

• Always fall back to common sense
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »

The 'gears' analogy is misleading.  That would simply be an aid to provide easier conceptualization.
But if its not gears then multiple counter-rotating flow systems would eventually dissipate unless driven by an external force. The viscous forces between materials in the Earth are enormous. Slow continental drift and rotation of the Earths core are very slow, but to produce the Coriolis effect trillions of tons of rock under the earth would need to rotate. The rotation would have to change in the southern hemisphere, so the systems would 'rub' against each other, unless some kind of mechanical separation or gear action takes place. Remember this is supposedly happening underneath the observable crust, and there is simply no way the entire known surface of the Earth is suspended over these systems. Forget about core magma and the Sun, the friction heat generated would boil us all.
Don't diss physics until you try it!

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »

Do you have any evidence for the rotating firmament beyond the fact that your theory makes no sense unless it is real?

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »

Do you have any evidence for the rotating firmament beyond the fact that your theory makes no sense unless it is real?

You're going to get a Willmorian answer:

"My observations indicate that it is real."

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Also, BH-FET offers the explanation that the coriolis effect could be the result of the "flips" the earth does when the black holes switch dominance.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
But if its not gears then multiple counter-rotating flow systems would eventually dissipate unless driven by an external force. The viscous forces between materials in the Earth are enormous. Slow continental drift and rotation of the Earths core are very slow, but to produce the Coriolis effect trillions of tons of rock under the earth would need to rotate. The rotation would have to change in the southern hemisphere, so the systems would 'rub' against each other, unless some kind of mechanical separation or gear action takes place. Remember this is supposedly happening underneath the observable crust, and there is simply no way the entire known surface of the Earth is suspended over these systems. Forget about core magma and the Sun, the friction heat generated would boil us all.

Where did you get the added on idea of churning rocks under the earth? I'm not denying that such an idea may have been postulated by someone, I've just never seen that before.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:53:53 AM »
Still, nobody has explained how this rotating firmament, gears, or churning rocks under the Earth affects the direction air above the earth rotates.

Not to mention the lack of evidence of any of the 3

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Tom Bishop has given a good explanation.  A simple search should bring up his previous posts on this subject.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=18646.msg849489#msg849489

Tom's explanation is flawed.  In Tom's model, the Coriolis effect would be most prominent at the North pole and halfway down the Southern hemisphere.  In reality, the Coriolis effect becomes more prominent as you get closer to either pole.

You'll need to imagine a better explanation.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »
Tom Bishop has given a good explanation.  A simple search should bring up his previous posts on this subject.

Would this be the laughable explanation involving wind gears created entirely by the sun and electrostatically attracted wind currents with zero empirical evidence to support it?

You might consider re-evaluating your use of the word "good" Peach.

My city was betrayed by the weak..

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
Let's not forget that the wind gears still don't explain the fact that liquids draining from a tank are affected by the Coriolis effect.  If you read the wiki article at the top of the page, you can confirm that this experiment has been done.  If you still don't believe it, the wiki article has a link to the peer-reviewed experiment. 

If a scientist were to conduct this experiment and find that the Coriolis effect does not affect liquids, he wouldn't want to cover it up.  Such a discovery would be Nobel Prize material.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »
BH-FET provides a better explanation, though still flawed as there is no evidence found for it either.

However I have proven that Tom Bishop's own post support BH-FET as better alternative to standard FET.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=18646.msg849489#msg849489

Tom's explanation is flawed.  In Tom's model, the Coriolis effect would be most prominent at the North pole and halfway down the Southern hemisphere.  In reality, the Coriolis effect becomes more prominent as you get closer to either pole.

I'd certainly be very interested in your observations of the effect and I'd be surprised if I were the only one interested.  If you're so inclined, please provide as much data as you have.  I've never been south of the equator and my only observations are mostly just of the prevailing westerlies at about the 35th parallel N.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »

I'd certainly be very interested in your observations of the effect and I'd be surprised if I were the only one interested.  If you're so inclined, please provide as much data as you have.  I've never been south of the equator and my only observations are mostly just of the prevailing westerlies at about the 35th parallel N.

*Passes back burden of proof*

When you suggest something as contrary to establised fact as what Tom is suggesting, I think the data should be coming from his end.

Pseudoscience fail.
My city was betrayed by the weak..

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

I'm gonna go to Australia the first chance I get (mostly for surfing, but I'll squeeze in a Coriolis experiment just for you).  Until then, a peer-reviewed University article will have to do, even though I'm almost positive you're gonna call it a conspiracy of every single professor that saw it.  http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gh%29/guides/mtr/fw/crls.rxml

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »

I'm gonna go to Australia the first chance I get (mostly for surfing, but I'll squeeze in a Coriolis experiment just for you).  Until then, a peer-reviewed University article will have to do, even though I'm almost positive you're gonna call it a conspiracy of every single professor that saw it.  http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gh%29/guides/mtr/fw/crls.rxml

That's an excellent idea because if you are willing to just accept another's words on authority, how will you ever decide the worth of the ideas? Your willingness to investigate is commendable.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

That's an excellent idea because if you are willing to just accept another's words on authority, how will you ever decide the worth of the ideas? Your willingness to investigate is commendable.

Don't a lot of FE'ers except EnaG without questioning it?  Like the grievous mathematical errors it makes which nullify nearly all of its experiments?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

Don't a lot of FE'ers except EnaG without questioning it?  Like the grievous mathematical errors it makes which nullify nearly all of its experiments?

I have no idea.  You could pose the question in a poll.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »

Ofcourse not toilets

Go check your toilet. The water doesn't spin. It just gets forced into the bowl and flushed. It doesn't excacty drain like a bathtub.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
OK, can we please move past toilets?