Random Religious Comic Thread

• 604 Replies

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
Re: Random Religious Comic Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Lol, science.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
Religion actively tries to retard the advancement of science and has done so for the majority of recorded history.  If religions stop doing this then I will be more than happy to adopt a live and let live attitude.  Until then however, I will fight them on the beaches, I shall fight on the landing grounds, I shall fight in the fields and in the streets, I shall fight in the hills; I shall never surrender.

You even support that experiment that happened in England where they tried to recreate the Big Bang with a machine where if something went wrong it could create a black hole that would have destroyed the world?
I hope to Eris you aren't talking about the LHC. Please, please, tell me you aren't talking about the LHC.

That's the one.

That's it.

We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats.
He fills the thread with inanities about his favourite sports and we fall back,
He barfs right-wing propoganda and we fall back
not again.
The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!
And I will make him pay for what he's done!

Even though large tracts of The Lounge and many old and famous subforums have fallen or may fall into the grip of the CR90 and all the odious apparatus of Fundie sway, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in R+P, we shall fight in The Lounge and in Random Musings, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the Srs Forums, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be! We shall fight in the threads, we shall fight on the IRC channels, we shall fight in the Internets and in the IRLs, we shall fight in the webservers; we shall never surrender!

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
Picard and Churchill, now there's a combination I'd love to see.

« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
If the power to limit your freedom is in the hands of an influential few but isn't enacted through government how or where is used? Maybe we should make influence illegal, that would make society much more free.

What we need to do is make people less susceptible to corporate and religious influence by improving the education system, reducing the use of propaganda and making copyright law fairer.

lolwut? how would you do that, get rid of religion in the USA? you're nuts *facepalm*

So you're saying Improving education= reducing religious influence?  :o

No that's what parsifal implied.
Correctly so, in my opinion.

We have this little thing called the constitution and the freedom of religion, freedom of expression also. You'd have a hard time prohibiting religion at school.
School-led demonstrations of religion are already outlawed.

Irregardless, that's not what I was talking about. There is a negative correlation between intelligence and religious belief; improving education and teaching rational thought at a young age will help reduce the plague of fundamentalism.

It's only a consensus plague on here cause everyone in here would rather proselytize atheism on everybody instead of letting live their lives the way they want, if some people want to be fundamentalist, it's not for you to jump in and say "you can't", that's what's wrong with atheist, they want everybody to be like them instead of living lives like they want (yes I know the pot calling the kettle black but what I do is irrelevant at the moment).

You are more than welcome to be a fundamentalist (eh), but not institutionally. If you want to spread the word of God, do so appropriately in your Church and not in our public schools and universities. Faith is faith and science is science, why can't you understand this?

Also, lol at the black hole statement

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2010, 01:00:28 AM »
You even support that experiment that happened in England where they tried to recreate the Big Bang with a machine where if something went wrong it could create a black hole that would have destroyed the world?

Yes (that is in regards to the question that you were trying to ask).

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
Whatever happens is in God's hands. You shouldn't worry about it, CR90.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Mykael

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:23:39 AM by Mykael »

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »

We get it you hate Bush, now move on.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:08 AM »
I have yet to meet anyone who thinks Bush was a good president.

?

Mykael

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »

We get it you hate Bush, now move on.
As can be seen in the chart, the tax cuts he passed damaged the economy to the tune of $2 trillion. The Iraq War he started based on false premises probably accounted for another $2 trillion.

I'd like to think that I have cause.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:26 AM »
I thought you were a Canadian.  No?

?

Mykael

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
I thought you were a Canadian.  No?
I am.

Canada and the USA, however, are (literally) joined at the hip. What happens to one affects the other; Canadians have a vested interest in US politics.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2010, 07:35:24 AM »
Ah, okay, though maybe not a vested interest. 

?

Mykael

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2010, 08:00:56 AM »
Ah, okay, though maybe not a vested interest.  
Consider how much of Canada's trade goes through the USA, and vice versa... yes, we have a vested interest.

$303 billion in goods and services were exported the the USA in 2006, with $230 billion crossing the border in the opposite direction. We are each other's biggest trade partners by quite a large margin.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
'Vested' implies proprietorship, however, or an interest in future ownership. 

?

Mykael

« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
DAMMNIT PEACH THEY'VE GOT ALL OUR TRADE MARKETZ

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
Well, you could dabble in arbitrage and I'll concede a limited vested interest but I need a pic of your stack of Canadian dollars if that's the way you're betting.  :)

?

Mykael

« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
Canadian money: Spend the Rainbow

?

fbkj

« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »
'Vested' implies proprietorship, however, or an interest in future ownership. 

you really dont know much about canadian/US relations I guess

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »

Canadian money: Spend the Rainbow

Well, that ain't much but you may don one sixth of a vest.  Anything smaller and you'd have a hard time getting it to stay buttoned.  

I think your being somewhat of a student of US politics is lovely but I, as a matter of curiosity, would be interested in your giving us your insights into Canadian politics.  Really.

Added on Edit  Oh, and your betting against the US dollar at this time is probably wise.  Knowing when to trade them in is the tricky part I understand.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:52:46 AM by Mrs. Peach »

?

Mykael

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
I think your being somewhat of a student of US politics is lovely but I, as a matter of curiosity, would be interested in your giving us your insights into Canadian politics.  Really.

-There are 3-4 major parties, as opposed to just two. This means that the government so much time making deals to secure legislative support that it really doesn't have time to suppress its citizens rights properly. It also encourages co-operation and moderation in the government: if a government is elected as a minority (highest number of seats yet below 50%) they must make their legislature and budgets open to discussion and input in order to secure enough votes to pass it.

-Universal healthcare (90% of Canadians strongly support it, and the support stretches across almost all political/ideological demographics)

-The political spectrum in Canada is similar to Europe's, as opposed to the USA's right-wing politics. The Canadian Conservative party is the equivalent of the USA's Democratic party.

-Legalization of same-sex marriage and medicinal marijuana

-We get all the benefits of the USA's army and nuclear stockpile without actually having to live in the USA.

-Our economy fared/is faring extremely well during the recession, in contrast to the US and the UK.

-This
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:55:51 AM by Mykael »

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
Yeah, I guess having to create coalitions waters down the message?  And smaller blocs having more sway than their actual numbers?

I actually think left wing/right wing isn't a good description of US political parties, more like a bigger FED/smaller Fed division,  although this is somewhat more obvious in the hinterlands than in Washington.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »
The boingboing was  ;D.

?

Mykael

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2010, 09:22:15 AM »
Yeah, I guess having to create coalitions waters down the message?  And smaller blocs having more sway than their actual numbers?

I actually think left wing/right wing isn't a good description of US political parties, more like a bigger FED/smaller Fed division,  although this is somewhat more obvious in the hinterlands than in Washington.

It does water down the legislation, that's true. OTOH, though, it allows the opposition parties to actually have a say in legislation-making. One thing I dislike about the US system is that due to the two-party system, there will always be a majority party that could -if it wanted to- rule without input from the opposition. The US executive and judicial branches provide restraint for that kind of thing, but in the Canadian system your vote isn't wasted if it happens to be for a representative that isn't in the ruling party.

In the interest of fairness, here's the things I don't like about the Canadian political system:

-Party loyalty is heavily enforced. Members of a political party are heavily influenced -some might say forced- to vote the party line in Parliament. Not doing so can lead to ejection from the party, or non-consideration for Senate or Cabinet positions.

-The Senate serves as a rewards system, controlled by the Prime Minister. In practice, Senate seats are given out as rewards for party loyalty. This wasnot its original purpose.

-The Bloc Quebecois: A Federal-level party dedicated to the sovereignty of a province (Quebec). Srsly, this is stupid.

-The balance of power between the three branches of government is heavily weighted in favour of the Executive. The Prime Minister is defined as the leader of the winning party, and via party loyalty and Senate appointments he exercises more than his fair share of power.

-Our official head of state is Queen Elizabeth; a vestigial remnant of our beginnings as a British colony. In practice, though, she exerts no control over the government, apart from the signing of bills into law (Royal Assent).

?

fbkj

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
-The Bloc Quebecois: A Federal-level party dedicated to the sovereignty of a province (Quebec). Srsly, this is stupid.

agreed stupid however they are working the system, which is at least civilized

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
See fellas, now this is interesting!  Although maybe we should add something randomly religious and comical. ***

***"In the begining there was nothing and God said 'Let there be light', and there was still nothing but everybody could see it."

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
See fellas, now this is interesting!  Although maybe we should add something randomly religious and comical. ***

***"In the begining there was nothing and God said 'Let there be light', and there was still nothing but everybody could see it."
Get that politics out of my religious thread!
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

Mykael

« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »

Psst: In the Random Religious Comic Thread we post political comics. Vice versa in the Random Political Comic Thread.

We did it to piss off CR90; for the lulz.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
well you fail'd...now Bush is gone, time to start blaming Obama when he messes up.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »

We did it to piss off CR90; for the lulz.

:-[      I've been caught out not keeping up.  Thanks.