Under FET why does gravity reduce as you dig down further.

• 29 Replies
Under FET why does gravity reduce as you dig down further.
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:33:39 AM »
It's a well known fact that as you dig further underground the effect of gravity dimishes (not noticably but with accurate enough measurement it has been proven to slightly reduce) and theoretically at the centre of the earth you would be weightless as gravity is acting on you equally from all sides.

The UA doesn't seem to be able to cope with this fact as there is no reason why the UA should affect you less the further down you dig. So how does it deal with the phenomenon

Re: Under FET why does gravity reduce as you dig down further.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »
They're probably going to say the conspiracy messed up the equipment that measures it.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
No, the explanation will likely involve general relativity.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
Since the Earth is flat, I believe that if one were to dig it gravity would gradually become weaker.  Since the backside of the flat earth is likely rock, if one were to break through that rock he would be in space where gravity does not exist. So basically gravity gets weaker as you get closer to the bottom of our Flat Earth. But I'm just a new Flat Earth believer here, and everyone just thinks I'm trolling, so this may or not be the correct answer to your question.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »
Since the Earth is flat, I believe that if one were to dig it gravity would gradually become weaker.  Since the backside of the flat earth is likely rock, if one were to break through that rock he would be in space where gravity does not exist. So basically gravity gets weaker as you get closer to the bottom of our Flat Earth. But I'm just a new Flat Earth believer here, and everyone just thinks I'm trolling, so this may or not be the correct answer to your question.

Gravity as a force does not exist.  It's the universal accelerator that pushes the FE up at a rate of 9.8m/s2 therefore the gravitational force would not vary no matter how deep you dig.  Please study up on your own theory by reading the FAQ and Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Rowbotham.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

ERTW

• Always fall back to common sense
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
Since the Earth is flat, I believe that if one were to dig it gravity would gradually become weaker.  Since the backside of the flat earth is likely rock, if one were to break through that rock he would be in space where gravity does not exist. So basically gravity gets weaker as you get closer to the bottom of our Flat Earth. But I'm just a new Flat Earth believer here, and everyone just thinks I'm trolling, so this may or not be the correct answer to your question.
Except people have measured this variation in existing deep holes.
Don't diss physics until you try it!

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
When you dig the hole, you get closer to the force of the UA.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
When you dig the hole, you get closer to the force of the UA.

Good.

And therefore?

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »
Usually you're shielded from it due to how thick the FE is. The less earth you have between you and the source of UA, the stronger the effect of the UA has on you. So you're now slightly accelerating up due to the UA.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
Usually you're shielded from it due to how thick the FE is. The less earth you have between you and the source of UA, the stronger the effect of the UA has on you. So you're now slightly accelerating up due to the UA.

The effect of the UA has a decay parameter?

Meaning things above the surface will be affected even less by the UA... meaning we'll smack into them.

Congratulations on destroying FE theory.

parsec

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
It's a well known fact that as you dig further underground the effect of gravity dimishes (not noticably but with accurate enough measurement it has been proven to slightly reduce) and theoretically at the centre of the earth you would be weightless as gravity is acting on you equally from all sides.

The UA doesn't seem to be able to cope with this fact as there is no reason why the UA should affect you less the further down you dig. So how does it deal with the phenomenon
Is this a well known fact or a well known prediction of Newton's Theory of Gravitation?

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
Is this a well known fact or a well known prediction of Newton's Theory of Gravitation?

Yes.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »

Meaning things above the surface will be affected even less by the UA... meaning we'll smack into them.

Us being stuck to the earth has always been because we weren't being accelerated by the UA. Probably because we're sheilded by the earth or something like that.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Us being stuck to the earth has always been because we weren't being accelerated by the UA. Probably because we're sheilded by the earth or something like that.

How do you know we're shielded 100% by the effects of the UA?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:47:20 AM »

What about the celestial bodies?  How much UA is left to accelerate them?

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I'd assume it works somewhat fluidly?

IDK.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
I'd assume it works somewhat fluidly?

IDK.

Fluid energy?  Neat trick.  Sounds like it might be worth a Nobel Prize if you can prove it.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
I know, right? I'll work on it.

It could be the same as light and other waves bending around slits/corners. Let me find an example picture.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
I know, right? I'll work on it.

It could be the same as light and other waves bending around slits/corners. Let me find an example picture.

Hmm...  Interesting.  But wouldn't that mean that the heavens would form a celestial dome?  You would also get constructive and destructive interference patterns that should be visible in the night sky.  That seems to conflict with the general consensus that the heavens are in a relatively flat plane above the FE.  This would conflict with the infinite plane model of the FE as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:13:56 PM by markjo »

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »

Hmm...  Interesting.  But wouldn't that mean that the heavens would form a celestial dome?  You would also get constructive and destructive interference patterns that should be visible in the night sky.  That seems to conflict with the general consensus that the heavens are in a relatively flat plane above the FE.  This would conflict with the infinite plane model of the FE as well.

I didn't know that was a consensus so I'd appreciate a source.  Not saying you're wrong about it but do you have a quick reference?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »

I didn't know that was a consensus so I'd appreciate a source.  Not saying you're wrong about it but do you have a quick reference?

The FAQ implies a flat plane.
The stars are at a height of 3100 miles above sea level, which is as far as from San Francisco to Boston.

No mention of a dome and I don't remember very many (if any) FE'ers contradicting the FAQ on this point. 

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
Start a new thread about it, then. This thread is about the effect of UA the deeper you go.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
Start a new thread about it, then. This thread is about the effect of UA the deeper you go.

In order to understand the effects of the UA the deeper you go, it helps to understand the nature of the UA itself.

parsec

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

In order to understand the effects of the UA the deeper you go, it helps to understand the nature of the UA itself.
So start a new thread about UA.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »

Does it matter parsec? We can observe that gravity chances with altitude. Now go explain it with a nice equation like a good boy.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »
It is an interesting point.  If the effect of gravity was caused by simple acceleration then it should be uniform at all altitudes and depths, and since that is demonstrably not the case, there is a problem.  Either UA has to be substantially modified to include this effect (though how this is possible is anybody's guess), or it has to be thrown out.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »
As I understand it, which admittedly is limited, the RE gravitational theories also have some problems with not quite matching with observations.  Are they going to be thrown out or are they going to be modified?  The UA is a young theory and most probably not completely understood. 

?

ERTW

• Always fall back to common sense
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
As I understand it, which admittedly is limited, the RE gravitational theories also have some problems with not quite matching with observations.  Are they going to be thrown out or are they going to be modified?  The UA is a young theory and most probably not completely understood.  
Yes, they are thrown out in those situations. That is why Newtonian Gravity is used in engineering, where things travel nice an slow, but not in modern physics.

GR has its problems as well, but the biggest one I know of is that it doesn't mesh with quantum physics. If you think about the scale of the problem, it is like expecting an understanding of dust mites on peoples eyelashes to predict the stock market. The two theories work on very different length and time scales, but they work well in their own regions.

I worked on a project that is trying to better understand neutrino mass. Not so many years ago people were convinced that neutrinos were mass-less and the standard model was shaped to fit that idea. New experimental evidence suggests that neutrinos do have mass, so a new 'version' of the standard model with new (modified) mathematical equations is now being explored.

If theoretical physicists have their way both GR and Quantum will be thrown out and replaced with one theory that explains all observable length scales.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:15:58 AM by ERTW »
Don't diss physics until you try it!

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »
Now I'll have to try and learn something about neutrinos.  This website is one of the best science instructors I ever had. :)