main problem.

• 26 Replies
main problem.
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
What does everyone think the main problem with human nature is. there is obviously a couple problems for there to be genocides going on. my belief is everyone cares to much about image. in most of the truly horrible events most people in the area didn't participate but they also didn't try to stop it. they didn't want to stand out. I think on the whole people are good but they let image get in the way of doing the right thing. if I leave my car unlocked with the keys inside it in a open area most people won't steal it. it is the few bad ones that make certain areas "bad".
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Re: main problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:40:19 AM »
Ignorance and selfishness.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
Poverty.

A man with nothin' ain't got nothin' to lose.

OmgHAI

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
<3 <3 <3
You ravers are not nearly as awesome as you think you are.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »
What does everyone think the main problem with human nature is. there is obviously a couple problems for there to be genocides going on. my belief is everyone cares to much about image. in most of the truly horrible events most people in the area didn't participate but they also didn't try to stop it. they didn't want to stand out. I think on the whole people are good but they let image get in the way of doing the right thing. if I leave my car unlocked with the keys inside it in a open area most people won't steal it. it is the few bad ones that make certain areas "bad".

I have a sad suspicion that most people restrain themselves from committing crimes-like stealing your car, for example-more out of a fear of punishment than out of their sense of morality.  Evidence comes from history when the police go on strike.  In almost every single instance where the police have stopped enforcing the laws, there is rioting, looting, and general pandemonium.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »
What does everyone think the main problem with human nature is.

Faulty genes cause us to desire to protect people we have no genetic interest in preserving.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »

The worst part of human nature?

The fact that we need things to survive. If we got rid of that then the world would be a lot better. As far as emotionally, we're pretty well suited for living in large groups and removing any behaviors no matter how bad they are at their extremes would make us horrible at living socially.

parsec

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
I'd have to say large variations in the length of male genitalia.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:36:44 AM »

I have a sad suspicion that most people restrain themselves from committing crimes-like stealing your car, for example-more out of a fear of punishment than out of their sense of morality.  Evidence comes from history when the police go on strike.  In almost every single instance where the police have stopped enforcing the laws, there is rioting, looting, and general pandemonium.

This is going to come out extremely racist, but its not intended to be.  Without actually doing any research I cannot think of one predominately white riot or mass looting. 

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:00:47 AM »
Raist put it pretty well. There is no single problem, they are many.  Poverty, ignorance, greed, politics, religion all these.  Interestingly greed and poverty are linked closely, if we could spread the wealth more evenly it may eliminate problems.

Apathy is a big problem.  If global warming is really going to end the planet then surely people would be doing a hell of a lot more to stop it, and by this I mean everyone. War and peace the same.  Too many people don't care about terrorism, global warming, war in Africa etc as it may not directly concern them and they are probably more worried about meeting basic needs like getting dinner on the table and making sure the kids are tucked in bed (making ends meet). 

A good example is the useslessness of foriegn aid and charities like World Famine.  (Not that these are bad ideas, I really try support only support 3 charities.)  Problem with these is if people cared enough to give enough, including governments, we would elimate a lot of problems.  People either don't care to even support them or make minimal donations as most money goes towards supporting themselves.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 05:02:17 AM »
Raist put it pretty well. There is no single problem, they are many.  Poverty, ignorance, greed, politics, religion all these.  Interestingly greed and poverty are linked closely, if we could spread the wealth more evenly it may eliminate problems.

Apathy is a big problem.  If global warming is really going to end the planet then surely people would be doing a hell of a lot more to stop it, and by this I mean everyone. War and peace the same.  Too many people don't care about terrorism, global warming, war in Africa etc as it may not directly concern them and they are probably more worried about meeting basic needs like getting dinner on the table and making sure the kids are tucked in bed (making ends meet). 

A good example is the useslessness of foriegn aid and charities like World Famine.  (Not that these are bad ideas, I really try support only support 3 charities.)  Problem with these is if people cared enough to give enough, including governments, we would elimate a lot of problems.  People either don't care to even support them or make minimal donations as most money goes towards supporting themselves.

This is wrong.  The main problem with humans is they have a moral sense and each person has slightly differing values.  It is these differences in morals that is the root of all problems.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »

Greed and poverty are not linked. All humans are greedy and we need to be. If we are to survive we need to want more than we have, without that drive we won't accomplish anything.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

This is going to come out extremely racist, but its not intended to be.  Without actually doing any research I cannot think of one predominately white riot or mass looting. 
Poll Tax Riot

The Troubles - Northern Ireland
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39166000/jpg/_39166792_bel416_getty.jpg

French Student riots 2006

the 1930s facsist/communist riots in britain.

The National Front riots of the 1970s

etc etc

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
Many of the race riots in the 1960s (and indeed throughout American history) were also instigated for the most part by white people.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »

Poll Tax Riot

The Troubles - Northern Ireland
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39166000/jpg/_39166792_bel416_getty.jpg

French Student riots 2006

the 1930s facsist/communist riots in britain.

The National Front riots of the 1970s

etc etc

Sorry I should have stated Amerikkkan riots. 

Many of the race riots in the 1960s (and indeed throughout American history) were also instigated for the most part by white people.

Instigated?  Racial tension was the instigator.   

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
I wasn't really talking about race riots, I was referring to riots when the police go on strike.  There was one in Montreal, there was one in Boston, etc.  People of all races were looting and running amok.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
Instigated?  Racial tension was the instigator.

You're right, that asshole Racial Tension is to blame! ::)
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:54:56 AM »
Ignorance + the inability to accept our mortality.

Why is it a necessary comment to make then? I mean if you have no intention of attempting to one up non-white peoples, why make the comment at all? Honestly, why did you post this.
"So now we know. Pigs are horses. Girls are boys. War is peace." -Arundhati Roy

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
I wasn't really talking about race riots, I was referring to riots when the police go on strike.  There was one in Montreal, there was one in Boston, etc.  People of all races were looting and running amok.
yes but what percent of the population of the area was running amok? you don't need a high percent of the population to cause general chaos. picture what it would be like if 1 in  1000 drivers thought crashing into random cars was fun. the road ways would look like something out of the demolish in derby. the point being it doesn't take much to cause chaos.  but if by themselves people seem to on average make moral decisions. or at least not make the situation worse.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »
I'd have to say large variations in the length of male genitalia.

You prefer all the ones you "take on" to be of the same length?
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
I've been discussing this topic in my philosophy honours seminar this year. We've been doing some debating on an external forum, and I think some of you guys would enjoy that kind of academic debate. For some here it will be over your head, but I can think of a few usernames off the top o' my head that would fit right in. If you want in, I'll pm you the addy.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

?

AbdulAziz

• Slave Of Allah
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »
Man is, in most things, contentious. Fretful when evil touches him And niggardly when good reaches him :)
"And say, `All praise belongs to ALLAH; HE will soon show you HIS Signs, and you will know them.' And thy Lord is not unaware of what you do."

"Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators? "
(Translations of Allah's Words)

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Man is, in most things, contentious. Fretful when evil touches him And niggardly when good reaches him :)

Reported for racism.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »

Reported for racism.

In all seriousness, wasn't some government official fired for using that word back in the nineties?

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »

Reported for racism.

In all seriousness, wasn't some government official fired for using that word back in the nineties?

You would be correct. 

?

AbdulAziz

• Slave Of Allah
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 02:01:33 AM »
As far as I know niggardly = Petty in giving or spending  :)
"And say, `All praise belongs to ALLAH; HE will soon show you HIS Signs, and you will know them.' And thy Lord is not unaware of what you do."

"Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators? "
(Translations of Allah's Words)

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
As far as I know niggardly = Petty in giving or spending  :)

That's true, but I guess some dumb people don't understand that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

(Not including Wardogg as one of those people, of course.  I know he was just kidding.)