Promoting the Society

• 45 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Promoting the Society
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »
I've been wondering lately if there's any way we can promote the society in order to boost the movement's membership and exposure. Though I have a few ideas of my own, I want the members to be as involved in this as possible, because there are a lot of creative people here at TFES. So I thought I'd post this up and see if we can think of ways whereby we can promote the site as a group, but in a co-ordinated fashion. I think this is something that everyone can get involved in.

First off, we're going to try and get a bigger online presence. I've already begun by trying to get the facebook page moving, but what would be great is if anyone who's a member of our facebook group would suggest us to as many of your friends as possible. This is a perfect example of how members can really get involved in promoting the site.

I've also created a YouTube page (click) and a Twitter page (click) under the name 'Flat Earth Today', so if you have a YouTube or Twitter account, please join! There's not much on the YouTube page right now, but hopefully that will change in the coming months - I know there are already a few FE related videos out there. Ideally, I'd like to run this in a similar fashion to the wiki, with some members being given access to the youtube account so they can upload content.

After that, we're going to pursue more active, 'real life' stuff (thinking poster campaigns, letter-writing), but first I'd like to have the online setup ready. Now, does anyone have any other ideas?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:30:09 AM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Secret User

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Promoting the Society
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
I've uploaded a couple of flat earth videos.... If you view the comments it's not exactly the kind of people we would want on the society, although there are a few people who are genuinely interested.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWayfaringStranger#p/a/u/2/99E-aTIk9xM

Ah, I see you've already found and subscribed to me.  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:59:32 AM by Secret User »
I vote for SecretUser as supreme overlord of TFES.

condemnant quod non intellegunt

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »
Rerun the Bedford level experiment.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
I've uploaded a couple of flat earth videos.... If you view the comments it's not exactly the kind of people we would want on the society, although there are a few people who are genuinely interested.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWayfaringStranger#p/a/u/2/99E-aTIk9xM

I was actually favouriting your videos and subscribing to you while you were posting!

Rerun the Bedford level experiment.

Daniel actually did this a while back, and uploaded pictures on Facebook, though the canal is in a bit of a state.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »
Daniel actually did this a while back, and uploaded pictures on Facebook, though the canal is in a bit of a state.

He re ran the whole experiment? With the boats and the flags and everything? And the earth was proven flat? Did he go to the press with his evidence?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

He re ran the whole experiment? With the boats and the flags and everything? And the earth was proven flat? Did he go to the press with his evidence?

I'm not going to engage in a debate about the experiment here, and more importantly, neither is anyone else.

Just making sure that's clear.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:12:07 AM by Lord Wilmore »

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
Not the thread for it, yeah.

I subscribed to both.  yay

Also joined the FB group while I was at it, since I never bothered to before.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
I'm not going to engage in a debate about the experiment here, and more importantly, neither is anyone else.

That be coo bro.

So my suggestion is to run the experiment exactly as performed originally by Hampden/Wallace. Have a wager staked on it. Invite the press.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
Also, those of you who are members of our facebook group, send suggestions to your friends! You don't have to send it to all of them, but anyone you think might be interested. Who knows, it might spread!

?

Secret User

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »
Done.

It might also be a good idea to write to your local newspaper to get stuff published in the opinions page. I wrote an article about FES and how people have dogmatic assumptions and it was published in the paper.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
A letter-writing campaign of some sort is definitely going to happen.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
We need a Flat Earth pamphlet, for distribution to our peers are places like school and such. I can't be bothered to remember EVERYTHING... maybe just something with the basics of UA and some references to ENAG.

?

Secret User

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
We need a Flat Earth pamphlet, for distribution to our peers are places like school and such. I can't be bothered to remember EVERYTHING... maybe just something with the basics of UA and some references to ENAG.

I made one, with the basics of the FAQ on it. I also made a button that I wear that says "Ask me about Flat Earth Theory". So when people do ask, which is quite often, I am able to give them a pamphlet and discuss the basics and direct them to here.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »

I made one, with the basics of the FAQ on it. I also made a button that I wear that says "Ask me about Flat Earth Theory". So when people do ask, which is quite often, I am able to give them a pamphlet and discuss the basics and direct them to here.

Okay, that is pretty awesome.

?

Secret User

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
I have a folder in which in bold letters says "PARRALAX" on it, and inside there is a printed copy of ENAG, an interview with Charles K. Johnson, three different version of the FAQ, and a printed out copy if 100 Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe. That way, wherever I am, I have a mini flat earth "office" that people can look into.

And, if people are legitimately interested, I have about 5 USB cords on me at all times that have Flat Earth literature and pictures downloaded onto them that I can hand out.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
WTF!

Me want.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:11 PM »
Wow, SecretUser has put in some pretty good effort.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
I have a folder in which in bold letters says "PARRALAX" on it, and inside there is a printed copy of ENAG, an interview with Charles K. Johnson, three different version of the FAQ, and a printed out copy if 100 Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe. That way, wherever I am, I have a mini flat earth "office" that people can look into.

And, if people are legitimately interested, I have about 5 USB cords on me at all times that have Flat Earth literature and pictures downloaded onto them that I can hand out.

This is all great stuff, and just the kind of enthusiasm we need. I am definitely going to borrow some of this.

?

Secret User

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
Flat Earth Pamphlet
The heading is Daniel's flat earth symbol.

1. What is the circumference and diameter of the Earth?  1. What is the circumference and diameter of the Earth?

2.Why are other celestial bodies round but not the Earth? 2. The Earth is not one of the other planets. The Earth is special and unlike the other bodies in numerous ways.

3. What about gravity? 3. Dark Energy accelerates the Earth and all celestial bodies in the universe at 9.8m/s2. This is commonly known as Universal Acceleration, which produces the same effect as gravity. General relativity uses this concept to explain the equivalence between proper acceleration and gravity.

4. If the world was really flat, what would happen if you jump off the disc's edge? 4. You would become directly affected by Dark Energy as the Earth is, creating the illusion that you are standing next to the Earth.

5. Exactly what shape is the Earth if it's flat? Square or circle? 5. Circle, like in the UN logo. However, the earth is NOT 2D; it is in the shape of a cylinder.

6. Why doesn't water run off the Earth? 6. There is a vast ice wall that keeps the water where it is. The ice wall is roughly 150ft high. This also explains why you can find a vast plane of ice when you travel south. Antarctica as a continent does not exist.

7. NASA and other world space agencies have pictures of the Earth from space, and in those pictures the Earth is clearly a globe; in this day and age, hasn't it been proven beyond any doubt that the Earth is round? 7. NASA and the rest of the world's space agencies who claim to have been to space are involved in a Conspiracy to keep the shape of the Earth hidden.  The pictures are faked using simple imaging software.

Contact Info
www.theflatearthsociety.org
Scollins@theflatearthsociety.org

Those really are the questions that people ask me in the street most often.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
I think the best method is a personal, word of mouth approach. Wear your FES shirt and be willing to talk about it, or at least direct people to the site, in public.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 02:10:13 PM »

I carry about a dozen of my business cards with me.

You win.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »
Done.

It might also be a good idea to write to your local newspaper to get stuff published in the opinions page. I wrote an article about FES and how people have dogmatic assumptions and it was published in the paper.

I positively encourage all flat earth believers to write to their local newspapers.

Also letters to MPs and local council would help, perhaps pointing out that they are using conspiracy tampered equipment designed to indoctrinate them to round earth belief (theodolites, maps and so on)

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »

You win.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »

You win.

Seconded
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »

You win.

Seconded
Hmm...  I thought that Daniel was supreme overlord of TFES and as such he has to be assassinated by his successor.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »

You win.

Seconded
Hmm...  I thought that Daniel was supreme overlord of TFES and as such he has to be assassinated by his successor.

This quite possibly could be the case.  I think Daniel himself just waited until the previous overlord died from natural causes to pick up the torch himself.  Hmm.

We might need to invest in security.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 04:28:46 AM »
If you have an official advertisement, I  can print some out and put them up on the bulletin boards at my school.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
Big news here.  I have two words for you: Guardian interview.

More details as the situation develops!

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Woah! Absolutely fantastic!

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
Meh. Get an interview with an American paper and i'll be all like... WHOA!

Also, remember to constantly refer to your regulars as fervent disciples..