Okay, serious question time.

• 21 Replies
« on: August 03, 2006, 11:47:49 AM »
You all have your beliefs about the Earth being flat, so I would like to know the following from FE purists.

1 - Why would you want to believe in a flat Earth in the first place? It doesn't seem to make a difference what shape the Earth is. It could be pyramid shaped, or even hexagonal for all I care. It doesn't make a bit of difference in life, so why create a forum and debate over it so defensively?

2 - If you ever did find soild proof that the Earth is flat that debunks the theory of a spherical Earth at the same time (hey, anything's worth a go) what would you all do then?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Okay, serious question time.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:57:06 AM »
Quote from: "slobbergoat"
1 - Why would you want to believe in a flat Earth in the first place?

Obviously we could ask the same question of REers.  The fact is that unlike REers, we don't have anything in particular that we want to believe or that we want to be true.  The zetetic method requires that you accept only what is directly evident.

2 - If you ever did find soild proof that the Earth is flat that debunks the theory of a spherical Earth at the same time (hey, anything's worth a go) what would you all do then?

I dunno... what do other scientists do when they make a new discovery?  Have a party I guess, with popping champagne bottles and what-not.  Then we'd publish a paper.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »
Thanks, but my main point about number one was what's the difference between a flat Earth and a spherical Earth, and why it has to be debated so much. =/

Surely it won't make a difference either way?

I'm not saying anyone's wrong or right, but I just wonder why people could get overly concerned over it.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
One reason is the FE opinion on global warming, they believe global warmnig will melt the  ice wall and the atmosphere will leak into space.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »
I guess FEers just want to know the way things really are, that's all.

On a more practical level, if there really is an overarching government conspiracy, it may have harmful consequences for people and we have a responsibility as citizens to find out.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
What possible motive would the "government" have to keep the shape of the Earth a secret from the public? Tell me, I'm curious.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:18:39 PM »
what would you do erasmus if you personally were taken into space and shown the world was a sphere? even taken out into the vaccuum on a space walk so you could see the earth?
would you still be sceptical or would you join the rest saying that we arent being brainwashed?
img]http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/Kamikazefish.png[/img]

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Okay, serious question time.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 12:22:30 PM »

1 - Why would you want to believe in a flat Earth in the first place? It doesn't seem to make a difference what shape the Earth is. It could be pyramid shaped, or even hexagonal for all I care. It doesn't make a bit of difference in life, so why create a forum and debate over it so defensively?

Essentially in agreement with Erasmus's contribution. It's not a case of "wanting to believe" in something - it's about finding the truth and then believing that.

Stop the world's governments damaging the Ice Wall.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :roll:
an vir

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »
And when the scientific evidence / community is sooooo overwhelmingly in favour of RE theory? How do you square that with "finding the truth?"

There must therefore be several fields of science which to your minds shouldn't even exist!

How do you dismiss the entire field of astronomy (one of my favourite hobbies)? The other planets are round, and have been mapped (well some better than others), as has the Sun...

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:52:14 PM »
Quote from: "KamikazeFish"
what would you do erasmus if you personally were taken into space and shown the world was a sphere? even taken out into the vaccuum on a space walk so you could see the earth?
would you still be sceptical or would you join the rest saying that we arent being brainwashed?

You're asking the wrong person. Pose that hypothetical to Dogplatter or Dionysis.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »
Quote from: "merg"
And when the scientific evidence / community is sooooo overwhelmingly in favour of RE theory? How do you square that with "finding the truth?"

There must therefore be several fields of science which to your minds shouldn't even exist!

How do you dismiss the entire field of astronomy (one of my favourite hobbies)? The other planets are round, and have been mapped (well some better than others), as has the Sun...

evidence = conspiracy.

there is nothing you can do.
tf?

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
I must tell Patrick Moore, he'll be so disappointed to find his life's work is just a conspiracy  :lol:

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"

You're asking the wrong person. Pose that hypothetical to Dogplatter or Dionysis.

I'll pre-empt this re-asking by telling you right now. Yes, I'd still be skeptical - why would someone go to such lengths to prove to me the shape of the Earth - but of course, seeing and experiencing with my own eyes and sense that the Earth was spherical (I.E from space, during a spacewalk, whatever) would probably convince me that it was indeed the case.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
Quote from: "Believe in Believing"
What possible motive would the "government" have to keep the shape of the Earth a secret from the public? Tell me, I'm curious.

To take power away from religion.

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
And what possible motive would they have by taking away religion? I mean, sure, it's an abstract concept, and entire cults and hate groups are founded on the (intentional?) misinterpretation of the bible, but do you know what kind of disorder and chaos would reign by taking religion away from people? These claims are unfounded and poorly backed-up.

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 01:35:41 PM »

What motive indeed.

Unfortunately, as we are not in on a probably tightly knit group of extremely wealthy/influential men, I doubt this will be answered any time soon.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »
The motive:
Is it not clear? You respond to a ridiculous theory and actually try to debate and discuss, they gain massive amounts of hits. None of these arses believe the Earth is flat, except for maybe one person who immediately throws his toys out of the pram when you actually corner him!
By the way, I am a government agent and I am trying to confound you all!

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"
What motive indeed.

Nice answer, dumbshit.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 10:57:50 PM »
Nice answer, dumbshit.

So long as we're pointing fingers, I believe it is you who ventured to ask the motive for a conspiracy.

Quote from: "http://www.dictionary.com"
conspiracy

n 1: a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act [syn: confederacy] 2: a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot) [syn: cabal] 3: a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose [syn: confederacy]

Quote from: "http://en.wiktionary.org"
conspiracy (plural: conspiracies)

1. act of working in secret to obtain some goal, usually understood with negative connotations.

Secret in both being the operative word.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »
Please do not link to images this large.

-The Administration-

?

TheOneGuyWhoBelieves

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"
Nice answer, dumbshit.

So long as we're pointing fingers, I believe it is you who ventured to ask the motive for a conspiracy.

Quote from: "http://www.dictionary.com"
conspiracy

n 1: a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act [syn: confederacy] 2: a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot) [syn: cabal] 3: a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose [syn: confederacy]

Quote from: "http://en.wiktionary.org"
conspiracy (plural: conspiracies)

1. act of working in secret to obtain some goal, usually understood with negative connotations.

Secret in both being the operative word.

Kay, you gave me the dictionary.com definition for what a conspiracy is. That doesn't answer my question. What motive would the government have to destroy religion? Sure, you can copy and paste until your hand goes numb, but you don't really know, do you?