Off-Site Harrassment

• 82 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Off-Site Harrassment
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »
Hey guys, I just want to make you aware that one of our members (Ichi) has been the subject of serious harrassment outside this forum, and that as a consequence charges have been made. The person involved made death threats, knew Ichi was a FE'er, and where Ichi lived. He went by various AIM screenames, usually some is some variation or form of bpartyboy, partyboy, bpartyboy18 etc.

We're just making an announcement about this in case a) Ichi isn't the only one, and b) this happens again. Remember, if someone is seriously and persistently harrassing you online, they are breaking the law, and you should contact the authorities.

If anyone else thinks they've been having trouble from the same person, let us know so we can contact Ichi. It may not be an isolated incident.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: Off-Site Harrassment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
Wow.  If charges were filed, do we know who the person was?  In real life, I mean, beyond his screen name?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I don't know who he is, beyond the rough description Ichi received from the police, which I feel is neither necessary nor appropriate to post here. However, I will say that he is apparently facing felony charges due to the crime crossing state lines, though Ichi believes that he will probably plead guilty to a misdemeanor.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Why?

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
Because people are idiots?
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

clovis2

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
Thank you for this information.Most Flat Earthers are harrassed in some form or other but actual threats are a step beyond the normal verbal abuse.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Hey guys, I just want to make you aware that one of our members (Ichi) has been the subject of serious harrassment outside this forum, and that as a consequence charges have been made.

It's curious how we've had electronic harassment, then verbal harassment, then harassment face to face, then the agressor identified and captured, then charges brought, then the level of crime established, and finally the establishment of a likely pleading of the presumed aggressor.

All within two hours! Phew!

Still you've just laid out accusations at several AOL screen names. Not only is that possible libel against innocent victims it could seriously jeapodise any forthcoming trial.

I hope it all works out OK. *hugs*

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
It's curious how we've had electronic harassment, then verbal harassment, then harassment face to face, then the agressor identified and captured, then charges brought, then the level of crime established, and finally the establishment of a likely pleading of the presumed aggressor.

All within two hours! Phew!

What?  ???

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »
Still you've just laid out accusations at several AOL screen names. Not only is that possible libel against innocent victims it could seriously jeapodise any forthcoming trial.

Wilmore has done no such thing. He has simply mentioned a pattern in the several screennames of the person who perpetrated the harassment. How could that jeopardise and trials?
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Wilmore has done no such thing. He has simply mentioned a pattern in the several screennames of the person who perpetrated the harassment. How could that jeopardise and trials?

lrn2juryprejudice lrn2witnessprejudice

Dear God this is such fail. If there really was about to be a case you'd know as an Admin to keep your mouth shut about it or face some kind of contempt of court charge. In fact whatever council Ichi has appointed (and I'll assume he has, since so much else has happened) would know to tell Ichi to keep his mouth shut.

Still. Hope it all works out. *hugs*

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Mentioning screen names could only be considered as contempt if there were some sort of gag order in place.  And then it would be iffy.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
Not really. It could easily jeopardise the trial as anyone could now claim to have been a victim of the accused.

It's the internet equivalent of announcing that David Sprigs of 43 Elsmere Road has been getting his cock out at bus stations, so if anyone else thinks they've seen him do it, let us know.

Seriously Wilmore, delete the thread and we can pretend the whole thing didn't happen.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
I actually kind of agree with Crusty that it could possibly bring up some dishonest folks making false accusations.  However, thanks for the heads up Willy.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Any idea as to why he was being harassed?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
Any idea as to why he was being harassed?
It was probably a troll, from what I figure.

Also, Crusty is a terrible troll.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
Seeing how none of us are going to be in the jury or anything, I don't think that this is unfair prejudice.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

lrn2juryprejudice lrn2witnessprejudice

Dear God this is such fail. If there really was about to be a case you'd know as an Admin to keep your mouth shut about it or face some kind of contempt of court charge. In fact whatever council Ichi has appointed (and I'll assume he has, since so much else has happened) would know to tell Ichi to keep his mouth shut.

Still. Hope it all works out. *hugs*

1) Ichi specifically asked me to warn the other members, and relay the information given here, which is the only reason I'm posting it, and probably the only reason he gave me the info. I'm not his mother or his lawyer, so it's his business what information he wants to give out.

2) Given that I don't live in the United States, I seriously doubt I'm going to face a contempt of court charge over a case of this nature.

But thanks for your advice Ally; we'll bear it in mind. ::)

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:07:28 AM »
This turn of events does not please me.

Not at all.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
Seeing how none of us are going to be in the jury or anything, I don't think that this is unfair prejudice.

It's not about whether you are on the jury. It's about whether any jury could have their opinion prejudiced by what they read here. Naming someone here, by way of their AOL screenname, identifies them as a perpetrator before it's been proven that they committed a crime.

If such a case were to come to trial it would be fairly likely that various members of the site would need to be interviewed, for example to establish Ichi character online, the kind of information he gave out, how the accused did, or might have, got hold of his personal details.

Defence lawyers particularly would be interested in finding another member of the site in order to pin such accusations on.

1) Ichi specifically asked me to warn the other members, and relay the information given here, which is the only reason I'm posting it, and probably the only reason he gave me the info. I'm not his mother or his lawyer, so it's his business what information he wants to give out.But thanks for your advice Ally; we'll bear it in mind. ::)

It was you who gave out the information, not Ichi. I'm not sure why he couldn't make the post warning people himself, but regardless, it's you who would face any legal questioning.

2) Given that I don't live in the United States, I seriously doubt I'm going to face a contempt of court charge over a case of this nature.

But thanks for your advice Ally; we'll bear it in mind. ::)

lrn2extradition. You're not above US law. If they ask for you they can take you.

You might be rolling your eyes, but I don't think you realise how serious the allegations are that you're bringing. This is the kind of thing that, if it were true, would make national news. On a slow day with a court announcement and some lurid details it would make top story.

The majority of Ichi's posts are in CN. He rarely causes rifts with any members new or old and most of his posts are light hearted and fun. Doesn't seem like a viable target for harassment. Maybe someone found out Ichi is the werewolf...

Until you can link to a news article detailing the arrest and court appearance we should chalk this one up as a cool story bro.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
Crusty is in full bad-troll mode now. You can tell by the walls of text, fake authority, and bullshit he's spewing.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
Crusty is in full bad-troll mode now. You can tell by the walls of text, fake authority, and bullshit he's spewing.

Umm. No.

I paragraphed my reply nicely. I'm not claiming any authority (or giving any legal advice). If you want to correct me on anything then do so.

TBH the whole thread is an embarrassment to TFES.  :-\

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »

Umm. No.

I paragraphed my reply nicely. I'm not claiming any authority (or giving any legal advice). If you want to correct me on anything then do so.

TBH the whole thread is an embarrassment to TFES.  :-\
See children, this is a bad troll. He is trolling badly.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
Yeah, I can tell because I can't be bothered to read his posts.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
lrn2extradition. You're not above US law. If they ask for you they can take you.

Seriously, lol. With this remark, you confirm that you are talking out of your ass. Now, having demonstrated that, I want you to stop derailing this thread with your free legal advice. Start another topic about it in the Lounge if you must, but keep it out of here.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »

You might be rolling your eyes, but I don't think you realise how serious the allegations are that you're bringing. This is the kind of thing that, if it were true, would make national news. On a slow day with a court announcement and some lurid details it would make top story.

Evidently the Perry Mason/Matlock/Murder She Wrote marathon you watched with Mamaw and Papaw should have come with a disclaimer regarding how the show won't make you a legal expert.
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »
Seriously, lol. With this remark, you confirm that you are talking out of your ass. Now, having demonstrated that, I want you to stop derailing this thread with your free legal advice. Start another topic about it in the Lounge if you must, but keep it out of here.

It's not derailing, it's simple fact.

If you annoy the US courts enough they can get hold of you. You seemed to be ignorant of that fact. Jeopardising a US Court case is pretty significant. How much effort they go to in order to bring you to justice is up to them. You've named an individual as the perpetrator of a crime before a court has identified that individual as the perpetrator. That's some heavy jeopardy you're laying out. Still you seem pretty sure of yourself.

*hugs* Hope it all works out. Stay safe. *hugs*

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
Better watch yourself, Wilmore.  You're going to get extradited for making a post on the Internet!

I'm not giving legal advice.

No shit.

?

Raiku

• War Squirrel.
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 04:43:17 AM »
First off, Crusty isn't a troll.

And

Wilmore, I thought you were a moderator...  Setting a good example, eh?

Anyways, poor Ichi...   :(
I guess all humans have mental problems since we believe the Earth exists...

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:23 AM »
I have no problem with you Raiku, but whats with all your... suggesting and concerning?
Recently religious due to the impending rapture.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 06:04:35 AM »

It's not derailing, it's simple fact.

If you annoy the US courts enough they can get hold of you. You seemed to be ignorant of that fact. Jeopardising a US Court case is pretty significant. How much effort they go to in order to bring you to justice is up to them. You've named an individual as the perpetrator of a crime before a court has identified that individual as the perpetrator. That's some heavy jeopardy you're laying out. Still you seem pretty sure of yourself.

*hugs* Hope it all works out. Stay safe. *hugs*
This thread is a warning concerning the safety of our members.  If you continue this crap you will be banned.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.