Locking Threads

• 13 Replies
?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
Locking Threads
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
We need this thread so I can address this issue: now regular posters can no longer lock their own threads, I think the moderators should respect the wishes of those who ask for their threads to be locked. Rather than, as Wilmore did, post a snippy comment in the thread.
I'd like to point out that not only did Wilmore ignore and indeed flaunt himself against my request by personally posting a criticism, but back when I could lock my threads every single time I locked a thread a moderator immediately went and posted in it.
I'm certain if a flat guy asked a mod to lock a thread their request would be granted.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:54:39 PM by Lord Wilmore »
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: Locking Threads
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »
You don't own a thread just because you create it. Sorry if that jarrs with your desire to have the last word, but we feel that if someone wants to reply, they should be able to. Why exactly do you feel the need to lock the thread?

Also, the reason mods often post in locked threads is because if a mod clicks on something like 'last post' (which I usaully do), they won't see that it's locked. If they reply, SMF doesn't give any message to say that it's locked - the message just gets posted. I've done that a bunch of times myself, and I know others have too. It's an issue with the software more than anything else.

Also, I think you should stop putting moderating decisions down to some sort of FE'er bias. It just doesn't exist.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »
But i wanted to lock a thread so i could win a posting game in CN...

I actually like the fact i can't delete my own threads anymore.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Most forums don't allow you to lock your threads.  Usually the only time someone wants to lock a thread is so they can have the last word.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »
You don't own a thread just because you create it. Sorry if that jarrs with your desire to have the last word, but we feel that if someone wants to reply, they should be able to. Why exactly do you feel the need to lock the thread?

Also, the reason mods often post in locked threads is because if a mod clicks on something like 'last post' (which I usaully do), they won't see that it's locked. If they reply, SMF doesn't give any message to say that it's locked - the message just gets posted. I've done that a bunch of times myself, and I know others have too. It's an issue with the software more than anything else.

Also, I think you should stop putting moderating decisions down to some sort of FE'er bias. It just doesn't exist.

If you go read it (which you have, so you reveal yourself to be ignoring things now) I requested it be locked because it was descending into useless bickering.
You would say there is no FE'er bias - you're a flat guy yourself. All the mods are flat guys. I don't believe for a microsecond that there is any sort of impartiality whatsoever, due to the way FE'ers frequently post off topic rubbish and it is never remarked upon, but if a RE'er was to do the same they'd be jumped on. It's visible in the forums for all to see, you can't hide it. When has Raa ever been warned about being off topic? Or Johannes? Whereas I so much as dare bring in an analogy to the current discussion and I'm hit over the head with a frying pan wielded by a cross-eyed aristocrat.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
All the mods are flat guys.
I'm afraid that's not true.

When has Raa ever been warned about being off topic? Or Johannes?
I think they have been warned for being off topic before.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
If you go read it (which you have, so you reveal yourself to be ignoring things now) I requested it be locked because it was descending into useless bickering.

That's for the mods to decide. I did.

You would say there is no FE'er bias - you're a flat guy yourself. All the mods are flat guys.

That simply isn't true. Several of the mods are RE'ers, and before Hara was demoted and Raist stepped down, most of them were RE'ers. In fact, traditionally there have been far more RE'ers moderating this site than FE'ers.

I don't believe for a microsecond that there is any sort of impartiality whatsoever, due to the way FE'ers frequently post off topic rubbish and it is never remarked upon, but if a RE'er was to do the same they'd be jumped on. It's visible in the forums for all to see, you can't hide it. When has Raa ever been warned about being off topic? Or Johannes? Whereas I so much as dare bring in an analogy to the current discussion and I'm hit over the head with a frying pan wielded by a cross-eyed aristocrat.

I've explained this to you before. They post off-topic in boards where that is permitted, whereas the warnings I give you (and other RE'ers) generally occur in the debate board, where it is not. This is why I keep telling you to read the board-specific rules. Furthermore, the last warning you complained about (in this very topic) was aimed at several members, one of whom is (superfically at least) a FE'er. You just decided to take it as being directed at you alone.

The debate board is set up the way it is because RE'ers often complained that threads were constantly dragged off topic. If you post in Flat Earth Debate, you will be held to a higher standard than in Q&A or FEG, regardless of your beliefs. As I said before, if you can't deal with that, don't post there.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
I think they have been warned for being off topic before.

By a mod? Examples please.

Several of the mods are RE'ers

For the record you should name them.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »
Wasn't the whole point of this thread to avoid tedious back-and-forths and post more general, long-term issues?

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »

The debate board is set up the way it is because RE'ers often complained that threads were constantly dragged off topic. If you post in Flat Earth Debate, you will be held to a higher standard than in Q&A or FEG, regardless of your beliefs. As I said before, if you can't deal with that, don't post there.

The thread concerned is in Flat Earth General.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:58:46 PM »
Wasn't the whole point of this thread to avoid tedious back-and-forths and post more general, long-term issues?
Split or delete the bad troll posts.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
Split or delete the bad troll posts.

Yeah, which was done before, and now LiceFarm and TD are bawing it up again.  You guys have had this argument, or versions of it, several times before.  Could you please take it to a more specific thread instead of clogging up this one?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »

The thread concerned is in Flat Earth General.

The thread you were complaining about before, accusing me of unfairly warning you, was in Flat Earth Debate. That is the thread I was referring to when I said

I've explained this to you before. They post off-topic in boards where that is permitted, whereas the warnings I give you (and other RE'ers) generally occur in the debate board, where it is not. This is why I keep telling you to read the board-specific rules. Furthermore, the last warning you complained about (in this very topic) was aimed at several members, one of whom is (superfically at least) a FE'er. You just decided to take it as being directed at you alone.

I was answering your accusation of moderator bias. Incidentally, here is the thread:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=35052.msg866267#msg866267

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
Also, the thread you wanted locked has since continued, and remains an excellent discussion. This is why we don't let members lock their own threads.