Global Warming is a farce

• 231 Replies

jtelroy

• Intellectual
Re: Global Warming is a farce
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
Britian would normally be warmed by ocean currents.

Since it's cold, it indicates the ocean currents are not functioning as they should, and a likely cause is that global warming is changing the temperatures and salinity of the water to the point where the currents no longer function normally.

Why wouldn't global cooling do the same?

It would affect temperature, but not salinity.

Salinity is affected by themelting of various ice shelfs, which would cause the water to be less saline.

And why would a less saline water be the preferred explanation over a more saline one?

Currents are built on water salinity.  The more saline water is heavier, thus making it sink.

At different depths, the water flows in different directions.  The salinity changes within the current through regular freezing and melting, thus allowing the water to reach the depth and flow in the directions it needs.

Global cooling would affect the freezing, but negligibly, as said before

Melting has a greater and quicker impact because a lot more water is added to the system via melting than is removed via freezing.

So, with the salinity not at the places it needs to be, the current cannot flow correctly.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
I saw the title of this thread, and then saw the author. I thought to myself, 'There's no way he's literally actually seriously going to claim that global warming isn't happening because it's cold,' but well done CR90, you've excelled yourself.

Also, it's really cold in Britain at the moment, which, in fact, is strong evidence for global warming.

WTH?!

------

::)

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/22330

If you seriously think that Youtube videos are worth crap in a scientific discussion, I'll be praying for you.

Are you that high and mighty to watch a documentary from british teleivison that someone posted on Youtube?

Yes, because documentaries aren't science. I realize that science has slightly higher standards then you seem to believe.

parsec

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2010, 01:33:08 PM »

Since it's cold, it indicates the ocean currents are not functioning as they should, and a likely cause is that global warming is changing the temperatures and salinity of the water to the point where the currents no longer function normally.

Salinity is affected by themelting of various ice shelfs, which would cause the water to be less saline.

And why would a less saline water be the preferred explanation over a more saline one?

Currents are built on water salinity.  The more saline water is heavier, thus making it sink.
Yes, but salinity also affects the melting temperature. With cooler water being less dense, we might have the case where more salty water is colder and less dense, thus achieving the opposite effect.
At different depths, the water flows in different directions.  The salinity changes within the current through regular freezing and melting, thus allowing the water to reach the depth and flow in the directions it needs.
So, water freezes throught the current?!

Melting has a greater and quicker impact because a lot more water is added to the system via melting than is removed via freezing.

So, with the salinity not at the places it needs to be, the current cannot flow correctly.
I'm afraid I do not agree with this. Melting and freezing are reversible processes and should affect the salinity in exactly opposite ways.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »

Yes, but salinity also affects the melting temperature. With cooler water being less dense, we might have the case where more salty water is colder and less dense, thus achieving the opposite effect.
So, water freezes throught the current?!

I'm afraid I do not agree with this. Melting and freezing are reversible processes and should affect the salinity in exactly opposite ways.

Those are some good points.

To answer your (sarcastic) question about water freezing through the current: it doesn't freeze throughout the current, only at "turning points" which are in an area where the water would freeze.  Also not all of the water freezes, only some does (which is why I think mlting would have a greater effect because higher temperatures would melt all the ice that exists on Earth (and whether you're FE or RE you have to admit, the consensus is that there is a lot of ice on Earth!) rather than just some)

That is an excellent point about how density also effects the melting point of water, and I admit I didn't take that into account.  I'd have to do some research and calculation to see how much of a balancing effect that would have.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
I saw the title of this thread, and then saw the author. I thought to myself, 'There's no way he's literally actually seriously going to claim that global warming isn't happening because it's cold,' but well done CR90, you've excelled yourself.

Also, it's really cold in Britain at the moment, which, in fact, is strong evidence for global warming.

WTH?!

------

If you seriously think that Youtube videos are worth crap in a scientific discussion, I'll be praying for you.

Are you that high and mighty to watch a documentary from british teleivison that someone posted on Youtube?

Yes, because documentaries aren't science. I realize that science has slightly higher standards then you seem to believe.

Such a shame that you won't even listen to a counter POV.

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »

WTH?!

------

What do POV's have to do with scientific data?

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

WTH?!

------

What do POV's have to do with scientific data?

Nothing, but mentioning them is a great stall tactic.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
It's not that nobody here ever listens to your point of view. It's that your point of view is usually unsupported, and completely retarted.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
Here Here
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
It's not that nobody here ever listens to your point of view. It's that your point of view is usually unsupported, and completely retarted.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »

JACKPOT

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
RIGHT ON MASTERCHEF YOU'RE THE MAN, OMGLOLWTFBBQ! 

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Pete

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »
This insolence needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this website with your behaviour. You are a complete disgrace.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »

I'm sure if you did a google search you could find some, I'm just lazy.

why am I sure? Cause I know for sure there are scientist that are skeptical.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »

Science is skeptical by definition.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »

And that gives you the excuse not to do a google search how?

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
It was cold here today. Global warming is indeed a farce.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Mykael

« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »

Do I need an excuse?
Besides, "Global Warming" is misleading. "Climate Change" is where it's at.

We know at least this much:
1. Earth's climate is changing.
2. Human activities are affecting/accelerating this trend, although the full extent is not currently known.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
What makes CR think we all haven't weighed up both arguments extensively already?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
What makes CR think we all haven't weighed up both arguments extensively already?

Because he hasn't. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
Global warming must be a farce because of the existence of January and February.

If Global warming did exist like those "scientist" are saying, the months would have logically become

"Warm Month" and "Warmer Month"

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »

This is why I don't like it when we agree on things, you make our side look bad.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2010, 02:44:36 PM »
Do I need an excuse?
Besides, "Global Warming" is misleading. "Climate Change" is where it's at.

We know at least this much:
1. Earth's climate is changing.
2. Human activities are affecting/accelerating this trend, although the full extent is not currently known.
And if we were affect/accelerating a warming period by a small amount then that would be great, as further warming will be better before it is worse for the environment/humanity.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

parsec

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
LOL.

Pete

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »

Its time for you to review Burden of Proof again, I see.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
It was cold here today. Global warming is indeed a farce.
I agree, its snowing outside. Snow + warm = water. As such, global warming is a shambles
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

?

Mykael

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »

Its time for you to review Burden of Proof again, I see.
I lol'ed.

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »

Wow, I never knew America's daylight savings system was universal. We are awesome.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »
Is that newspaper seriously real?