Global Warming is a farce

• 231 Replies

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
Re: Global Warming is a farce
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2010, 01:20:39 AM »
Here CR, this chart should explain why everyone in this thread, and pretty much this entire forum, is laughing at you:

You don't know much about anything, and yet you still feel compelled to give everyone your opinion on everything, every chance you get. But I suppose that is to be expected from someone who idolizes Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:22:26 AM by Masterchef »

parsec

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
I can see the "global" temperature had risen from 286.75 K to 287.65 K (plus or minus 0.1 K in each figure, the second decimal comes from the standard conversion between oC to K) in a period of 149 years. That is an average yearly increase of (21.2 +/- 4.7) ppm (parts per million).

At the same time the CO2 concentration had risen from 285 ppm to 375 ppm (plus or minus 10 ppm on each figure). This is an average yearly increase of (0.186 +/- 0.042) %.

If anything, it tells us that temperature is rather insensitive to the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. The reason why this graph looks so dramatic is because it had been zoomed in on the vertical axis of the temperature. For example, if this rate of increase continues, the global temperature should increase by 2 Co in a period between the next 267 and 420 years.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
I posted the chart to show how climate change works, not to support global warming. CR doesn't understand how we could experience a few years of cooling, while the climate is actually increasing overall. I just couldn't find a good chart depicting climate change without showing the correlation to CO2 concentration.

I have no desire to join in a debate about global warming. I just wanted to show him why his "LOLOLOLOL its cold in florida in january!" argument was retarted.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
I can see the "global" temperature had risen from 286.75 K to 287.65 K (plus or minus 0.1 K in each figure, the second decimal comes from the standard conversion between oC to K) in a period of 149 years. That is an average yearly increase of (21.2 +/- 4.7) ppm (parts per million).

At the same time the CO2 concentration had risen from 285 ppm to 375 ppm (plus or minus 10 ppm on each figure). This is an average yearly increase of (0.186 +/- 0.042) %.

If anything, it tells us that temperature is rather insensitive to the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. The reason why this graph looks so dramatic is because it had been zoomed in on the vertical axis of the temperature. For example, if this rate of increase continues, the global temperature should increase by 2 Co in a period between the next 267 and 420 years.

Also correlation does not equal causation.

But I agree with Masterchef in that the graph does show an observable rise in global temperature/ CO2 concentration implying that FearTehGator's argument is idiotic.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
You guys have been scammed. Period. Now I'm all for "green" cause it's a nice thing to do, but global warming is a scam that you have blindly fallen for.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
You guys have been scammed. Period. Now I'm all for "green" cause it's a nice thing to do, but global warming is a scam that you have blindly fallen for.

No, it just shows you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore are reduced to simply repeating "Its a scam!" over and over.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »

No, it just shows you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore are reduced to simply repeating "Its a scam!" over and over.

There is no other way to put it. How can you prove that the evidence you have wasn't skewed to make it seem like it's happening so theh scientists could make money? Prove this to me.

parsec

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »

There is no other way to put it. How can you prove that the evidence you have wasn't skewed to make it seem like it's happening so theh scientists could make money? Prove this to me.
The burden of proof is on you to show that scientists make money by falsifying evidence.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »

The burden of proof is on you to show that scientists make money by falsifying evidence.

Uh no, you the ones providing it as proof, so you have to prove why I should take it seriously.

parsec

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »

Uh no, you the ones providing it as proof, so you have to prove why I should take it seriously.
Why shouldn't you take it seriously?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
I saw the title of this thread, and then saw the author. I thought to myself, 'There's no way he's literally actually seriously going to claim that global warming isn't happening because it's cold,' but well done CR90, you've excelled yourself.

Also, it's really cold in Britain at the moment, which, in fact, is strong evidence for global warming.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

Why should we care about your opinion?
Also, you've already proven multiple times that you're practically bulletproof to logic. I have no interest in smashing my head against a brick wall.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
I saw the title of this thread, and then saw the author. I thought to myself, 'There's no way he's literally actually seriously going to claim that global warming isn't happening because it's cold,' but well done CR90, you've excelled yourself.

Also, it's really cold in Britain at the moment, which, in fact, is strong evidence for global warming.

WTH?!

------

::)

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/22330

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
What are you trying to counter?

parsec

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »

WTH?!

------

As a counterargument, I present the following proof:

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Britian would normally be warmed by ocean currents.

Since it's cold, it indicates the ocean currents are not functioning as they should, and a likely cause is that global warming is changing the temperatures and salinity of the water to the point where the currents no longer function normally.

parsec

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »

Since it's cold, it indicates the ocean currents are not functioning as they should, and a likely cause is that global warming is changing the temperatures and salinity of the water to the point where the currents no longer function normally.

Why wouldn't global cooling do the same?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »

Because we're suddenly getting a stream of arctic water, instead of our lovely, warm, tropical water. Global cooling would affect it, perhaps, but negligibly.

parsec

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

Because we're suddenly getting a stream of arctic water, instead of our lovely, warm, tropical water. Global cooling would affect it, perhaps, but negligibly.
Where does the lovely, warm, tropical water go?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
It's pushed towards the bottom of the ocean by the less salty arctic water that's melted from the icecaps.

jtelroy

• Intellectual
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »

It would affect temperature, but not salinity.

Salinity is affected by themelting of various ice shelfs, which would cause the water to be less saline.

Pete

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »

I don't have to, silly. You are the making the one making the positive claim that they are some evil global conspiracy.

Pete

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »
It's pushed towards the bottom of the ocean by the less salty arctic water that's melted from the icecaps.

This is correct.

parsec

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
This will only be possible if the temperature interval is between 0 oC and 4 oC.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
Eh? Explain.

parsec

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »

It would affect temperature, but not salinity.

Salinity is affected by themelting of various ice shelfs, which would cause the water to be less saline.

And why would a less saline water be the preferred explanation over a more saline one?

Pete

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »

WTH?!

------

If you seriously think that Youtube videos are worth crap in a scientific discussion, I'll be praying for you.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

WTH?!

------

If you seriously think that Youtube videos are worth crap in a scientific discussion, I'll be praying for you.

Are you that high and mighty to watch a documentary from british teleivison that someone posted on Youtube?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »

WTH?!

------

Are you that high and mighty to watch a documentary from british teleivison that someone posted on Youtube?

I could find you 9 times as much evidence to counter yours, I'm afraid.

parsec

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »
Regarding the youtube videos, see my counterexample.