NASA update: more ridiculousness

• 132 Replies
?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
NASA update: more ridiculousness
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/news/wise20091214.html

NASA at it again, boys. Apparently they launched a rocket into space as they claimed. I understand space flight is possibly but that satellites and stuff are probably crap. But this right here is another pathetic attempt to put the conspiracy forward. Disagree and your called insane. Maybe Round Earthers can answer this question: how do you feel about NASA using your tax dollars to do this?! Well not all of it goes to do this. I am sure some of it is sticky money if you get my drift. Looks like Nasa employees will be getting a nice Christmas bonus!

Re: NASA update: more ridiculousness
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »

NASA at it again, boys. Apparently they launched a rocket into space as they claimed. I understand space flight is possibly but that satellites and stuff are probably crap. But this right here is another pathetic attempt to put the conspiracy forward. Disagree and your called insane. Maybe Round Earthers can answer this question: how do you feel about NASA using your tax dollars to do this?! Well not all of it goes to do this. I am sure some of it is sticky money if you get my drift. Looks like Nasa employees will be getting a nice Christmas bonus!

I have no problem with NASA using my tax money to further our understanding of space.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:01 PM »

Yeah you go ahead and believe it's a conspiracy, when you're too stupid to have noticed that the motions of the night sky do not fit your flat earth model. Lucky it's NASA researching space and not you, right? You don't appear to be able to even look up at night.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »
How is it a "pathetic attempt to put the conspiracy forward"??? As was just stated by an earlier poster, they are furthering our understanding of space. And if you would like to be a part of this great process, you can be. But right now, you have no idea what you're talking about. "satellites and stuff are probably crap." Why? You see, when an object has a high enough horizontal velocity, it will fall toward the earth at the same speed that the earth curves down below it. And so its height relative to the earth will be stable at all times. This is called orbit.

?

Gigamonsta

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »

Yeah you go ahead and believe it's a conspiracy, when you're too stupid to have noticed that the motions of the night sky do not fit your flat earth model. Lucky it's NASA researching space and not you, right? You don't appear to be able to even look up at night.

Ah more insults. And how do you know NASA is serious. Here is a question for you: look at all the technological advancements in the past 150 years. Impressive, right? Yet if we are advancing that far then why not space? 1969 we supposedly landed on the moon! Why no moonbases or space ship that are a significant advancement! The space station they claim they have can't even hold that many people!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »

Ah more insults. And how do you know NASA is serious. Here is a question for you: look at all the technological advancements in the past 150 years. Impressive, right? Yet if we are advancing that far then why not space? 1969 we supposedly landed on the moon! Why no moonbases or space ship that are a significant advancement! The space station they claim they have can't even hold that many people!

NASA is rather underfunded. And I think we've made leaps and bounds in technological advancement. Why no moon-bases? No real point. "Wow...sure is rocky up here..."

The amount of people a space-station can hold in no way reflects its capability or how technologically advanced it is. It holds just enough people to run it. 

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
Moon bases and mass evacuation plans are not necessary. Our earth is just fine right now. NASA doesn't do its work just to be cool. "Oh look at these cool moon bases we just spend 100 billion dollars on....now what?"

NASA's mission is as much to make scientific discoveries through aeronautics research as it is to explore space. Plus, our governments are much more concerned with international affairs, geopolitics, and the economy. Those issues are much, much, much, much more important in the average person's mind than "oh no what if we need to evacuate the planet right now?" And so therefore the amount of funding provided to NASA for its research is insignificant compared to the amount of money being invested in the economy, military, and such.

?

Gigamonsta

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »
Moon bases and mass evacuation plans are not necessary. Our earth is just fine right now. NASA doesn't do its work just to be cool. "Oh look at these cool moon bases we just spend 100 billion dollars on....now what?"

NASA's mission is as much to make scientific discoveries through aeronautics research as it is to explore space. Plus, our governments are much more concerned with international affairs, geopolitics, and the economy. Those issues are much, much, much, much more important in the average person's mind than "oh no what if we need to evacuate the planet right now?" And so therefore the amount of funding provided to NASA for its research is insignificant compared to the amount of money being invested in the economy, military, and such.

Ah but thjere would be many scientific discoveries made if nasa really could land a man on the moon. Think if they establised a moon base! They could discover many things about outter space living could they not?

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »

Ah but thjere would be many scientific discoveries made if nasa really could land a man on the moon. Think if they establised a moon base! They could discover many things about outter space living could they not?

Not really, no. We can do most of our observations from the comfort of our own planet. Why pour money into a moon-base? The only reason to conceivably build a Moon base would be to experiment on long-term space bases that we could build elsewhere (Mars for instance), but that kind of endeavor isn't even on the horizon yet. And yes, there are actually more important things the government spends their money on, because most of the public don't really understand the need for a moon-base (I'm one of these people).

Basically...we went to the Moon a whole bunch already. There's rocks there.

Neat!

?

Tristan

• Bendy Earth Proponent
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:54:32 AM »
Maybe Round Earthers can answer this question: how do you feel about NASA using your tax dollars to do this?!

Given that I don't live, work or pay taxes in the United States, it doesn't bother me at all.
Image used in Avatar:
"Duck Dodgers™ in the 24&1/2th Century"
© Warner Brothers Animation
All Rights Reserved

?

Sutekh

• Icewall Deathguard - Disinformation section.
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:09:44 AM »

It's all good, we learn more about space and slowly technology develops. Then we kill ourselves with the technology in about 50 years in world war 4. all good.

parsec

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
when did ww3 happen? did i miss it?

?

dim

• More overpowered than Aristotel.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24:44 AM »

NASA is rather underfunded. And I think we've made leaps and bounds in technological advancement. Why no moon-bases? No real point. "Wow...sure is rocky up here..."

The amount of people a space-station can hold in no way reflects its capability or how technologically advanced it is. It holds just enough people to run it.  

Oh, man.
Underfunded?
They have billions. The labour force costs much more lower. If somebody artificially rising prices for all that pseudo-stuff, it doesnt mean than in reality(if earth was really round) it would cost that much.
I mean, if we are race of wise human, why would factories and so on just rise the prices that high, that even NASA with their billions feels herself as udnerfunded.

Space travels and space technologies for sure must be sponsored by factories and scientists centers, but no, no low prices for the pride of humnity. In fact vise versa, somebody even thinks that NASA is underfunded.

But what is problem to build 100 or 1000 rockets of same technology that are fly? Why it would cost that much that NASA is underfuned. If they have drawing, plans, exact amount of materials used - why would it cost that much? And don't tell me about liberalismus and markets, because if it really worked, they would have popularized this many many years ago.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:26:59 AM by dim »

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:35:32 AM »

Oh, man.
Underfunded?
They have billions. The labour force costs much more lower. If somebody artificially rising prices for all that pseudo-stuff, it doesnt mean than in reality(if earth was really round) it would cost that much.
I mean, if we are race of wise human, why would factories and so on just rise the prices that high, that even NASA with their billions feels herself as udnerfunded.

Space travels and space technologies for sure must be sponsored by factories and scientists centers, but no, no low prices for the pride of humnity. In fact vise versa, somebody even thinks that NASA is underfunded.

But what is problem to build 100 or 1000 rockets of same technology that are fly? Why it would cost that much that NASA is underfuned. If they have drawing, plans, exact amount of materials used - why would it cost that much? And don't tell me about liberalismus and markets, because if it really worked, they would have popularized this many many years ago.

Are you under the impression that all NASA does is build a flimsy rocket every six months?

?

dim

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
Man I really dont know what NASA does except for:

writing texts;
faking pictures;
makes launches of metal junk to the nearest waters;
and tells to few people that they soon become heroes by becoming superstars in the form astronauts;

I dont know about anything else. Like their experiments on the orbit(what they do there except repairing ISS?), like all those fuel, like all those super-challenging stuff. I never heard about it in details nor i dont see any benefits for human race since first Sputnik was launched. Do you see any? (miss the point about GPS pls)

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »

writing texts;
faking pictures;
and tells to few people that they soon become heroes by becoming superstars in the form astronauts;

I dont know about anything else. Like their experiments on the orbit(what they do there except repairing ISS?), like all those fuel, like all those super-challenging stuff. I never heard about it in details nor i dont see any benefits for human race since first Sputnik was launched. Do you see any? (miss the point about GPS pls)

Oh, okay...conspiracy NASA is wasting our money, sure.

Not conspiracy NASA works on new technologies from aeronautics (for practical and vital use in our everyday life (even in conspiracy reality where planes have to be in the air 24 hours a day to feed "satellite signals" across the world)) to robotics, the continual effort to document as much of space and our celestial neighbors as possible, maintain very sophisticated equipment both on Earth and in orbit, as well as developing better technology to further our understanding of Earth and space. In a Round Earth universe this is an endeavor to better understand the world around us.

In a Flat Earth viewpoint...

Why bother? Who cares? The world is the world, so there. Let's not worry with it.

So, regarding FE viewpoint, yes, they're wasting a whole bunch of money.   

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
Ooh, the "conspiracy". Clearly they're all wasting our
money trying to get us to believe that the world is round.

And it takes a MASSIVE amount of money for all of NASA's projects. So excuse them if they don't come out with private space shuttles and vacation homes on Mars. =P

?

Sutekh

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »

writing texts;
faking pictures;

Don't forget NASA blows up shuttles and kills astronauts to make us think the shuttles are real, when in fact they are just airplanes. Must be the worst job in the conspiracy, " Sir can I work in the library instead? I know you guys murder us every few years to make it seems the shuttle is a dangerous spaceship" lol!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:47:11 PM by Sutekh »

?

dim

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

writing texts;
faking pictures;

Not conspiracy NASA works on new technologies from aeronautics (for practical and vital use in our everyday life (even in conspiracy reality where planes have to be in the air 24 hours a day to feed "satellite signals" across the world)) to robotics, the continual effort to document as much of space and our celestial neighbors as possible, maintain very sophisticated equipment both on Earth and in orbit, as well as developing better technology to further our understanding of Earth and space. In a Round Earth universe this is an endeavor to better understand the world around us.

Why bother? Who cares? The world is the world, so there. Let's not worry with it.

Really, I am enlighted after your post!

Aircraft 24h in the air. That what they do, to make GPS more efficient and longreaching.
The inly thing is, that this technology was discovered and in use, i think, from mid 90ies for all, and from mid 70 for militaries.  But that's just my opinion. And it is done not by NASA of course, so they don't waste money on it.

What else humankind can benefit from space flights?

?

Sutekh

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:45 AM »

writing texts;
faking pictures;

Really, I am enlighted after your post!

Aircraft 24h in the air. That what they do, to make GPS more efficient and longreaching.
The inly thing is, that this technology was discovered and in use, i think, from mid 90ies for all, and from mid 70 for militaries.  But that's just my opinion. And it is done not by NASA of course, so they don't waste money on it.

What else humankind can benefit from space flights?

One day we are going to colonise half the galaxy, probably a real real bad thing for any other species out there in space, but our space program is a first step. It's all part of the inevitable evolution and expansion of our species, and its very facinating the stuff being discovered, from the rough age and origin of the universe, to the origin of planets and life. Isin't that stuff makign nasa's work worth it even without any technological changers that will occur as any science is done?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 04:27:39 AM by Sutekh »

?

dim

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 04:43:09 AM »
Nah, I like games like Master of Orion too. But it was just a fiction game, based on novels of fiction authors. It was really nice. But we should understand, that we gonna find another species out there but not in space, but outside icewall, or even in the great deep. So, intersting stuff is going to happen anyway, my version is that we can meet even dragons outside icewall, basically animals. What about space...well, they should have already done building base on the moon and so on, but it never happened. Well, we just switched to the philosophy stream.

I dont see any progress of NASA. They never told us what they for in space.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
If it wasn't for NASA you wouldn't have GPS systems. And Google Earth, which is really cool. And other satellite-based stuff, including satellite TV. I'd say that that's at least some progress.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
NASA has done some great stuff. Especially GPS, I dont know how FE gets around that.

That would mean that thousands of towers were put up all over the world and were not noticed or anything. Thats impossible. Give me an alternate to why GPS works that actually makes sense/is possible.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
The US Air Force runs and controls the GPS, not NASA.  They and to some extent the US Navy have been responsible for the GPS from the get go.

parsec

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
The US Air Force runs and controls the GPS, not NASA.  They and to some extent the US Navy have been responsible for the GPS from the get go.
proof?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Proof?  Why don't you trust me?  ;D

The impetus for the thing in the first place was for pinpoint submarine navigation, hence the Navy's role.  Then the Air Force got involved as some of the first triangulation was done from high altitude aircraft belonging to the USAF.   This was in the very early days.  I'm not privy as to why the Navy is no longer running the thing...maybe our Marine FES members can enlighten us.

parsec

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
reference?

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
References I have none; I am relying on personal knowledge.  You may however google the 50th Space Wing and the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC).

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »
So now you are increasing the conspiracy either way. Explain how gps could work without sats.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
Strats.