In conclusion:

It was absolutely awesome.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: I just saw James Cameron's Avatar.
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
It was pretty awesome to look at, but it had some serious shortcomings plot-wise. It's also inspiring some nutty behavior by the super-fans of the world.  I can guess there'll be lots of smurfcats at upcoming sf/f conventions. 

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
WHUT.

I think it had similar shortcomings to other very important films, like Star Wars.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »
It was pretty awesome to look at, but it had some serious shortcomings plot-wise. It's also inspiring some nutty behavior by the super-fans of the world.  I can guess there'll be lots of smurfcats at upcoming sf/f conventions. 

Hey guys, I bet you're wondering why my avatar looks absolutely amazing. It's because I was inspired last night by a fat cow.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

I would totally hit that. She is sexy, especially when she does her RAWR!!
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Ugh ugh! Ugh nug nug ugh!

It's fourteen French social dances past the hour.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
Just saw it for the second time, and it's even better than the first time.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Ugh ugh! Ugh nug nug ugh!

It's fourteen French social dances past the hour.

Euclid

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
I didn't mind Jake, so much.  His character was a bit bland, but I could empathize with him wanting to stay in his avatar body at the expense of his "real" one.  It's like that feeling you have when you really love a video game and don't want to stop playing for anything.

I hope that the sequels will have a deeper plot, since it's obvious that the eye candy was the main focus of Avatar.  I'm willing to forgive Cameron for the shit plot in the the first one, since he was revolutionizing 3D and all... but I don't intend to reward him with my money if the next one is just more of the same.  He has created an interesting and beautiful world, now he needs to hire a real screen writer so that world (and its people) can be better explored.  

I sincerely hope the sequels can explore some of the more complex issues involving two interacting races.  There is plenty of potential.  Star Wars too had a very simplistic plot, but the sequels delved into some deeper and more interesting plot lines than good vs. evil.
Quote from: Roundy the Truthinessist
Yes, thanks to the tireless efforts of Euclid and a few other mathematically-inclined members, electromagnetic acceleration is fast moving into the forefront of FE research.
8)

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:48 AM »
I didn't mind Jake, so much.  His character was a bit bland, but I could empathize with him wanting to stay in his avatar body at the expense of his "real" one.  It's like that feeling you have when you really love a video game and don't want to stop playing for anything.

I hope that the sequels will have a deeper plot, since it's obvious that the eye candy was the main focus of Avatar.  I'm willing to forgive Cameron for the shit plot in the the first one, since he was revolutionizing 3D and all... but I don't intend to reward him with my money if the next one is just more of the same.  He has created an interesting and beautiful world, now he needs to hire a real screen writer so that world (and its people) can be better explored.  

I sincerely hope the sequels can explore some of the more complex issues involving two interacting races.  There is plenty of potential.  Star Wars too had a very simplistic plot, but the sequels delved into some deeper and more interesting plot lines than good vs. evil.
I think a prequel would be the best course of action.
I truly don't care

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2010, 01:09:38 AM »
Unfortunately, he decided that Avatar 2 will not be a prequel, and I'm generally unsure about that. For instance, Jake no longer needs to switch between his avatar and his human body, which may contradict the title "Avatar". Perhaps the sequel will focus on something more.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »
Hopefully it'll explain the tribes a bit better. I don't understand how they can be so awesome at warring and not have had any practice. And I don't get how they got the horses on to the floating mountains. Or how the mountains floated, but that's probably just because I'm a bit ignorant about flux vortices. ::)
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
'Gravity' is lower in the vortex. But apparently, it's only lower for mountains. People and helicopters still fall. Typical globularist fantasy.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
'Gravity' is lower in the vortex. But apparently, it's only lower for mountains. People and helicopters still fall. Typical globularist fantasy.
lower gravity makes mouuntians float?
an vir

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
Another thing to nitpick- the biologist lady. I'm willing to ignore the fact that she messed up what transduction is, but it just didn't seem right that she came off as a hardass and an arrogant jerk and then in one sudden scene she becomes this nice, caring lady and continues to be for the rest of the movie.
 [SPOILER ALERT] until she dies  :P
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
Another thing to nitpick- the biologist lady. I'm willing to ignore the fact that she messed up what transduction is, but it just didn't seem right that she came off as a hardass and an arrogant jerk and then in one sudden scene she becomes this nice, caring lady and continues to be for the rest of the movie.

It is because she hated that the soldier was being let in to the avatar program, but once she realised that he wasn't just another 'jarhead' like the others she became ok with him.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2010, 01:23:41 PM »
lower gravity makes mouuntians float?

Yes. But not helicopters. Never.

Yeah, they take just cram what's obvously supposed to be a cliched 'evolving relationship' into a couple of scenes, so it's not only cliched, it's rushed and dumb. I'm glad you're as nit-picky as me Ichi!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Euclid

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
Were the flying mountains ever explained?  Sorry, the whole scene was a facepalm/look down and away moment and I don't remember.  I thought it had something to do with them being buoyant or hovering magnetically.
Yes, thanks to the tireless efforts of Euclid and a few other mathematically-inclined members, electromagnetic acceleration is fast moving into the forefront of FE research.
8)

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
Were the flying mountains ever explained?  Sorry, the whole scene was a facepalm/look down and away moment and I don't remember.  I thought it had something to do with them being buoyant or hovering magnetically.
Why do they have to be explained? It's a new world with new elements. Why can no one just enjoy a movie?
I truly don't care

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

They're in a flux vortex. Duh.

Why do they have to be explained? It's a new world with new elements. Why can no one just enjoy a movie?

Because it isn't fantasy, it's science fiction. There's supposed to be science.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »

I can enjoy a movie. Just not that one. And I'm pretty sure there is some throw away comment about gravity being lower because of the vortex. Except it only seems to affect the mountains.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
Maybe it's EM. That would explain the stuff going crazy. Nothing else, though.

EDIT: stuff is electronics.

Euclid

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »
Were the flying mountains ever explained?  Sorry, the whole scene was a facepalm/look down and away moment and I don't remember.  I thought it had something to do with them being buoyant or hovering magnetically.

The movie has a pretense of scientific accuracy or at least plausibility.  Part of my enjoyment of a sci fi movie comes from seeing things that might happen in the future.  Naturally, this enjoyment is diminished if the idea could not actually happen, so for an idea that seems implausible, I would like to know how it is actually plausible.
8)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
Or at least, even if it's not that plausible, isn't made to seem totally inconsistent - e.g. mountains float, but nothing else does.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
I saw the version where everything else was affected. It was terrible.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
I saw the version where everything else was affected. It was terrible.

=)

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »

I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it, now I'm enjoying picking it apart.  I'm glad I saw it, but I expect more from the sequels. 

I sort of blocked out the whole floating mountains thing.. they weren't even necessary to the story.  They could have used really tall mountains instead of completely implausible floating rocks. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »

Haven't you seen Alien?

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
Geez, the the film has reached over $1 billion in gross revenue just after 17 days.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
Since he directed it, wrote the story behind it, and did most of it on computers he must be a rich son of a bitch by now.

LordTalon69

• I think I may have the lulz.
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Geez, the the film has reached over $1 billion in gross revenue just after 17 days.

Well lucky for him since he spent like 600 million making/marketing the movie .. so is the profit really that large compared to the cost?

parsec

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
I saw it just now in 3D. It was awesome.