Why does Tom not want to address this?

• 102 Replies
Why does Tom not want to address this?
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
Tom claims does not want open this link because he believes it will take too much of his time. All you need to do is look at the thumbnail. Surely won't take too much of your time right? I'm sorry for calling you out on this, but I'm having a very hard time believing that you agree with the FE theory. The only other reason I can see you making these claims is for money some how. Which is very ironic because that's the reason, you say, that the Govt wants us all to believe the Earth is round...

Is that a pun that you're throwing in our faces for believing your crackpot theory? Because that is the immediate impression I'm getting. If I'm wrong, please correct me, and know that whether or not you decide to answer, you'll still be giving an answer.

And please click this link. Maybe you're just confused, and haven't fully realized the Earth is round. I highly doubt you've been to space, so I have problems considering you a reliable source for many many many many reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=james+may+edge+of+space&search_type=&aq=f

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
Re: Why does Tom not want to address this?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
Tom claims does not want open this link because he believes it will take too much of his time. All you need to do is look at the thumbnail. Surely won't take too much of your time right? I'm sorry for calling you out on this, but I'm having a very hard time believing that you agree with the FE theory. The only other reason I can see you making these claims is for money some how. Which is very ironic because that's the reason, you say, that the Govt wants us all to believe the Earth is round...

Is that a pun that you're throwing in our faces for believing your crackpot theory? Because that is the immediate impression I'm getting. If I'm wrong, please correct me, and know that whether or not you decide to answer, you'll still be giving an answer.

And please click this link. Maybe you're just confused, and haven't fully realized the Earth is round. I highly doubt you've been to space, so I have problems considering you a reliable source for many many many many reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=james+may+edge+of+space&search_type=&aq=f

His explanation is that the sun is illuminating a circular portion of the Earth, so it only seems to be a picture of a curved Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Ugh ugh! Ugh nug nug ugh!

It's fourteen French social dances past the hour.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
Not good enough. That would mean the Earth is basically a half globe. The angles in which the curve is sloping would mean there's no a lot of outwards stretch the Earth has, this is also proven by the planes motion. At no point to we see that curvature level out, and surely the lens of that camera would NOT confuse a flat distance for a round distance, which is the explanation given when asked about the curvature seen while on the salt flats based on "how little we know about how our eyes work".

Towards you, away, and to either side, with a changing background due to the planes altitude and direction, the slope is always the exact same. This is not a random imperfection, it is the result of the formation caused by liquids combining in the path of least resistance due to surface pressure. That's how droplets of water are made, that's how planets are made. We can see that evidence in science without having to leave Earth.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:46:44 PM by Viper-X »

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
Not good enough. That would mean the Earth is basically a half globe. The angles in which the curve is sloping would mean there's no a lot of outwards stretch the Earth has, this is also proven by the planes motion. At no point to we see that curvature level out, and surely the lens of that camera would NOT confuse a flat distance for a round distance, which is the explanation given when asked about the curvature seen while on the salt flats.

No, what he is saying is that the sun is illuminating only a portion of the Earth, and that illumination creates a circular shape.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
Not good enough. That would mean the Earth is basically a half globe. The angles in which the curve is sloping would mean there's no a lot of outwards stretch the Earth has, this is also proven by the planes motion. At no point to we see that curvature level out, and surely the lens of that camera would NOT confuse a flat distance for a round distance, which is the explanation given when asked about the curvature seen while on the salt flats.

No, what he is saying is that the sun is illuminating only a portion of the Earth, and that illumination creates a circular shape.

Oh I get you. That's an even worse explanation but at least my previous post may give him a little better understanding about Earth.

We understand how light works. At no point does light work like a bubble. Light is never naturally circular, it spans out in all directions equally, 100% of the time.

Besides, we're seeing the round Earth, not the round light. I don't think he looked at the video closely.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
looking at a map that includes time zones, you can clearly see that the part of the earth illuminated on a flat earth would not be close to circular at all, much less the perfect circle seen by spacecraft.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »

Oh I get you. That's an even worse explanation but at least my previous post may give him a little better understanding about Earth.

We understand how light works. At no point does light work like a bubble. Light is never naturally circular, it spans out in all directions equally, 100% of the time.

Besides, we're seeing the round Earth, not the round light. I don't think he looked at the video closely.

Of course not, they block out anything that proves the Earth is round and chalks it up as the conspiracy or make up some bogus explanation.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
looking at a map that includes time zones, you can clearly see that the part of the earth illuminated on a flat earth would not be close to circular at all, much less the perfect circle seen by spacecraft.

Excellent point. Not only is the reflection circular, the shadow is circular. This is something Tom failed to answer in my previous thread that had this video. The only explanation I got was "Why would it be different, the earth is still a circle it's just not spherical.

That is clearly coming from someone who does not understand anything about the third dimension or light. At all.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
Like "The Earth is ROUND" said, at the edge of space the observer is looking down at an illuminated circle, which is the cause of distant curvature.

However, in that particular video linked in the op, I believe that some of those cameras are fish-eyed/wide-angled, giving the earth greater curvature than it really has.

Compare the curvature of the earth from the scenes at the 6:55 mark and the 7:35 mark. The earth goes from nearly flat to very curved in thirty seconds when the craft is supposed to have already reached its maximum altitude.

It's obvious that there is distortion going on in that particular video.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:37:18 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »
Like "The Earth is ROUND" said, at the edge of space the observer is looking down at an illuminated circle, which is the cause of distant curvature.

However, in that particular video linked in the op, I believe that some of those cameras are fish-eyed/wide-angled, giving the earth greater curvature than it really has.

Compare the curvature of the earth from the scenes at the 6:55 mark and the 7:35 mark. The earth goes from nearly flat to very curved in thirty seconds when the craft is supposed to have already reached its maximum altitude.

Have you ever held a flashlight closely to a wall and then slowly moved it back? Do this, and you will notice the further the flashlight is from the wall, the more the light dissipates around it's edges and becomes blurry. Now if the sun is a spotlight that is only 32 miles in diameter, and over 3,000 miles away, then how could the light make such a perfect circular arc with no visible dissipation of light around the edges?

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »

I'm a photographer... Fisheye lens? I don't mean to sound so offensive but I know for a fact that is false, many of your explanations have been disproven, as a fact. Why do you continue to try and explain things that you know nothing about?

A fisheye lens would have an opposite AND unequal curvature that would warp the vision as it panned in any direction. This was recorded by the BBC, You think they'd blotch this shot?

6:55 - Very high altitude, but low enough to see the detail of the earth, without the overcast clouds and reflected light obscuring our view. We see the Earth at this altitude from several angles...

So is it a coincidence that when our view of the Earth is MOST obscured, we see the Earth as LESS spherical?

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »

I'm a photographer... Fisheye lens? I don't mean to sound so offensive but I know for a fact that is false, many of your explanations have been disproven, as a fact. Why do you continue to try and explain things that you know nothing about?

A fisheye lens would have an opposite AND unequal curvature that would warp the vision as it panned in any direction. This was recorded by the BBC, You think they'd blotch this shot?

6:55 - Very high altitude, but low enough to see the detail of the earth, without the overcast clouds and reflected light obscuring our view. We see the Earth at this altitude from several angles...

So is it a coincidence that when our view of the Earth is MOST obscured, we see the Earth as LESS spherical?

"Yes. It's called bendy light bouncing off of the sky mirror."

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

Have you ever held a flashlight closely to a wall and then slowly moved it back? Do this, and you will notice the further the flashlight is from the wall, the more the light dissipates around it's edges and becomes blurry. Now if the sun is a spotlight that is only 32 miles in diameter, and over 3,000 miles away, then how could the light make such a perfect circular arc with no visible dissipation of light around the edges?

The sun doesn't operate like a flashlight.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »

The sun doesn't operate like a flashlight.

Did it really take you that long to come up with that?

Then how does it operate? You didn't really think I would take that at face value did you?

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »
Then how does it operate?

Three pages for you to read:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Sun

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Setting+of+the+Sun

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Magnification+of+the+Sun+at+Sunset

That link states that the sun is a sphere, so it should not act as a spotlight, because it would have light illuminating from all sides, which in turn spreads light everywhere, not in one specific spot.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Setting+of+the+Sun

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Magnification+of+the+Sun+at+Sunset

That link states that the sun is a sphere, so it should not act as a spotlight, because it would have light illuminating from all sides, which in turn spreads light everywhere, not in one specific spot.

Right. The sun is a sphere which shines light from all points upon its surface.

The sun's light is limited to a circular area upon the earth just as the light from a lighthouse is limited to a circular area upon the earth, despite it shining light 360 degrees around itself.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:55:02 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »

Right. The sun is a sphere which shines light from all points upon its surface.

The sun's light is limited to a circular area upon the earth just as the light from a lighthouse is limited to a circular area of the earth, despite it shining light 360 degrees around itself.

But a lighthouse's light does not have light shining from all angles simultaneously, as a spherical sun does.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
But a lighthouse's light does not have light shining from all angles simultaneously, as a spherical sun does.

If you take out the searchlight and replace it with a giant lightbulb on the roof the same principle apply.

The light from the lighthouse is limited to a distinct circle upon the earth.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

If you take out the searchlight and replace it with a giant lightbulb on the roof the same principle apply.

The light from the lighthouse is limited to a distinct circle upon the earth.

No, it's not Tom.

Does the bulb on a table lamp focus all of it's light into a circular point on your wall? No, it spreads light throughout the whole room.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
No, it's not Tom.

Does the bulb on a table lamp focus all of it's light into a circular point on your wall? No, it spreads light throughout the whole room.

But it doesn't spread its light throughout your whole state when you put it on your roof.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
No, it's not Tom.

But it doesn't spread its light throughout your whole state when you put it on your roof.

What does that have to do with anything? You can still see the light from everywhere from a certain distance if it is high enough.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
What does that have to do with anything? You can still see the light from everywhere from a certain distance if it is high enough.

Can you see the window light from the skyscrapers in LA?

No. Because they're lost to perspective.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

Can you see the window light from the skyscrapers in LA?

No. Because they're lost to perspective.

Ok then, what you're saying is that the sun's light is being blocked by the land that falls below the horizon line. I'm glad we cleared that up.

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
It's taking you quite a while to come up with a bullshit excuse that twists what you said around.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
The sun is a sphere??

It doesn't look like a sphere...
( ) or _ ?

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
The sun is a sphere??

Just like the Earth doesn't look like a sphere... I think you're onto something here.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:21 PM »
The sun is a sphere??

Just like the Earth doesn't look like a sphere... I think you're onto something here.

I'm leaning towards flat Earth, flat sun.

Anti-curvature corrections in our vision is another possibility. That would mean that things which look like spheres are some kind of hypersphere though. Hmmm. Well, I haven't worked out all the details, but it seems plausible.
( ) or _ ?

?

Mookie89

• Artilles is a goddess
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
The sun is a sphere??

I'm leaning towards flat Earth, flat sun.

Anti-curvature corrections in our vision is another possibility. That would mean that things which look like spheres are some kind of hypersphere though. Hmmm. Well, I haven't worked out all the details, but it seems plausible.

Are you a RE'er or a FE'er?

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
For the purposes of insight, I am making no presumption as to the shape of the planet.
( ) or _ ?