Ok...

• 28 Replies
Ok...
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »
So, let's hypothetically say the Earth is flat, and somehow you guys that believe that are right, whilst at least 95 percent of the planet believes it's round. What do you do now? I severely doubt you guys can perform some sort of mass conversion that makes everyone believe the earth isn't round.

I'm just wondering.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
Re: Ok...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
So, let's hypothetically say that Psychics are real, and somehow you guys that believe that are right, whilst at least 95 percent of the planet believes they're fake. What do you do now? I severely doubt you guys can perform some sort of mass conversion that makes everyone believe that psychics are real.

I'm just wondering.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
Wow, that totally answered my question.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »
Your question is stupid. If the earth is flat, all it would take to convert 100% of any real scientists is actual evidence. If, hypothetically, the earth is flat, evidence would be gathered and given.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
Hey man, there's no such thing as a stupid question. However, the people that believe in the flat earth have failed to provide any actual evidence, just twist the rules. What if evidence is perceived as different things by each different side?

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
Hey man, there's no such thing as a stupid question. However, the people that believe in the flat earth have failed to provide any actual evidence, just twist the rules. What if evidence is perceived as different things by each different side?

You have your answer.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »
FFFFFFFF-

What's the point of this forum? It's a giant feedback loop for god's sake!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »
FFFFFFFF-

What's the point of this forum? It's a giant feedback loop for god's sake!

Bye.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
 :-[

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »

What if evidence is perceived as different things by each different side?

You said it yourself...in your own question.

That's all.

Welcome back!  ;D

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
Well that's what I meant by 'feedback loop', if people show evidence and the opposite side has evidence that isn't perceived as evidence by the other side, then what's the point of debate?

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
Well that's what I meant by 'feedback loop', if people show evidence and the opposite side has evidence that isn't perceived as evidence by the other side, then what's the point of debate?

Oh, I don't know. Some people just like the excercise, most people on this site are most likely arguing for the sake of arguing, its a grand experiment in the suspension of disbelief, it informs us of a different worldview that even though a majority of people don't believe in allows us to open our minds a little and conceive the impossible. Plus, even though its about Flat Earth, there's actually some cool science on this sight if you dig. There's also some hilarious science that's entertaining. Any number of reasons for the debate. And plus, all science should continue to be questioned, regardless of elitism or snobbery within the scientific community, even if we are so very sure of how the world works. Most of the time, yes, it works the way we think it does, but we still need to keep it in check. New ideas are exciting and very interesting (and many times bizarre on this forum), but that just makes the whole thing cool. Really, Round Earthers know the world is round because it is, and Flat Earthers, in contrast, know the world is flat because it is, but the discussion is fun and informative. I don't think people come on this site because they believe their worldview to be WRONG, they're just peeking into a interesting world that they didn't even know existed. It's not threatening the way you believe the world works, you don't go to bed with doubts about how round or how flat the world is, its simply an interesting experiment.

And who knows...maybe the world is flat.  ;D

parsec

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
If 5% of the World's population believe in FE, then the FE'ers job is done!

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
If 5% of the World's population believe in FE, then the FE'ers job is done!
I said at least 95 percent, there might be tribals or something out there who have nothing to do with this website that believe the earth is flat. Therefore the percentage can go from 5% to a decimal above 1%, but I really wouldn't know.

parsec

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
So, the uncertainity is plus or minus 2% of the World's population. Keeping in mind that the current world's population is 6.707 billion, this amounts to a number of 134 million people, about a half of the U.S.'s population. And you suppose this is due to some tribes in remote areas of the World. I find this highly unlikely to believe.

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
Thing is, some on this site are genuine FE'ers, some are trolls, some argue for the fun of it and to hone debating skills.  The rest are RE'ers (although we have our fair share of trolls, noobs and arses.  Gives us a bad rep...)

RE'ers reject everything FE'ers say as BS and no real evidence.

FE'ers reject everything RE'ers say.

No one can convert the other, until commercial space flight to prove RE, or definitive proof of a FE.

So... yeah.
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
So, the uncertainity is plus or minus 2% of the World's population. Keeping in mind that the current world's population is 6.707 billion, this amounts to a number of 134 million people, about a half of the U.S.'s population. And you suppose this is due to some tribes in remote areas of the World. I find this highly unlikely to believe.
Well played sir. The truth is that I really wasn't paying attention to what percentage I put down.

parsec

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
Oh, then your question is nonsensical.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »
Oh, then your question is nonsensical.
Woah woah woah, just because I didn't really put much thought to how many people believe the world is flat makes my question nonsensical?

Tough crowd...

parsec

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
No, it just means you lack the analytical capabilities to comprehend the arguments put forward in defense of the FE idea and are predoctrinated to dismiss them without giving them any benefit of a doubt. So, answering your question has really no point, does it?

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
No, it just means you lack the analytical capabilities to comprehend the arguments put forward in defense of the FE idea and are predoctrinated to dismiss them without giving them any benefit of a doubt. So, answering your question has really no point, does it?
I don't know where you pulled that out of your ass...

parsec

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
Well, if I pulled it out of my ass, then you do know, don't you?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »

I can't believe I'm siding with a noob, but that's just irrelevant, Parsifal-style nitpicking.  You know what he meant, in general, the vast majority of the world's population believes in RET.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
Well, if I pulled it out of my ass, then you do know, don't you?
FFFFFFFF- it's an expression!

parsec

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
The whole popoulation of physicists in the world is less than 1%. Yet, we say that today the General Theory of Relativity is widely accepted. Does this mean that people who do not know what the Riemann curvature tensor is have any say about this issue? When it comes to intellectual matters, democracy is irrelevant.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
The whole popoulation of physicists in the world is less than 1%. Yet, we say that today the General Theory of Relativity is widely accepted. Does this mean that people who do not know what the Riemann curvature tensor is have any say about this issue? When it comes to intellectual matters, democracy is irrelevant.

I agree, but the OP wasn't making an appeal to popularity.

parsec

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
I severely doubt you guys can perform some sort of mass conversion that makes everyone believe the earth isn't round.

ORLY?

?

ERTW

• Always fall back to common sense
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »
I severely doubt you guys can perform some sort of mass conversion that makes everyone believe the earth isn't round.

ORLY?
I doubt the FES ever intends to.
Don't diss physics until you try it!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »

ORLY?

That's not an argument for RET.