Idea: Start a University

• 370 Replies
Re: Idea: Start a University
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2009, 04:07:28 AM »
Fair comment.

« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2009, 04:46:52 AM »
You know, as much as I hate to say it, I am actually in sympathy with some of what Tom Bishop is saying.  If some kind of testing program can reliably determine that an individual truly understands both how and why to do things and can demonstrate full competence to fullfill the requirements of the job, what difference does it make whether or not they have been formally awarded degrees earned during actual attendance at a university or trade school?

Because Tom isn't interested in rewarding, he's interested in money.

I agree with you about Tom, but I still think there ought to be some workable means of crediting and recognizing people who have managed to attain great knowledge, expertise and competence on their own, without actual attendence at formal institutions of higher learning.  Why should such people be required to spend years and huge sums of money to take formal courses at such institutions covering subject matter that they can demonstrate to an appropriately competent person or testing agency that they already understand thoroughly?  I realize that such individuals are relatively rare, but they do exist and (IMO) are even more admirable and potentially more valuable assets to prospective employers than typical, degree-holding university graduates.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:06:24 AM by Rational U.S. Viking »

« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2009, 05:10:36 AM »
You know, as much as I hate to say it, I am actually in sympathy with some of what Tom Bishop is saying.  If some kind of testing program can reliably determine that an individual truly understands both how and why to do things and can demonstrate full competence to fullfill the requirements of the job, what difference does it make whether or not they have been formally awarded degrees earned during actual attendance at a university or trade school?

Because Tom isn't interested in rewarding, he's interested in money.

I agree with you about Tom, but I still think there ought to be some workable means of crediting and recognizing people who have managed to attain great knowledge, expertise and competence on their own, without actual attendence at formal institutions of higher learning.  Why should such people be required to spend years and huge sums of money to take formal courses at such institutions covering subject matter that they can demonstrate to an appropriately competent person or testing agency that they already understand thoroughly?  I realize that such individuals are relatively rare, but they do exist and (IMO) are even more admirable and potentially more valuable assets to prospective employers than typical, degree-holding university graduates.
It's just the way the pendulum of the free market has swung.  I don't see why businesses must recognize such individuals.  Could the system be fucked out of some good people?  Yes, but the system is also set up to make sure many people do not just have to fake this one test.

« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2009, 05:31:02 AM »
Yes, but the system is also set up to make sure many people do not just have to fake this one test.

Who is talking about taking just "this one test?"  I'm not.  To accurately assess whether an individual has knowledge and expertise equivalent to what would be acquired from years of attendence at a university is obviously going to take a whole battery of tests probably requiring days or possibly even weeks to complete.  If an individual can successfully pass and survive such a grueling ordeal, that should be an adequate demonstration that he is sufficiently knowledgeable and competent, provided that the tests are competently designed, and that there are adequate safeguards to detect and prevent cheating.  Besides that, there are some people with college degrees who have managed to cheat and fake their way through their entire academic career.  Thus, merely possessing a degree from an accredited university is not necessarily infallible proof that they actually know what they claim to know.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:43:51 AM by Rational U.S. Viking »

« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:08 AM »
Yes, but the system is also set up to make sure many people do not just have to fake this one test.

Who is talking about taking just "this one test?"  I'm not.  To accurately assess whether an individual has knowledge and expertise equivalent to what would be acquired from years of attendence at a university is obviously going to take a whole battery of tests probably requiring days or possibly even weeks to complete.  If an individual can successfully pass and survive such a grueling ordeal, that should be an adequate demonstration that he is sufficiently knowledgeable and competent, provided that the tests are competently designed, and that there are adequate safeguards to detect and prevent cheating.  Besides that, there are some people with college degrees who have managed to cheat and fake their way through their entire academic career.  Thus, merely possessing a degree from an accredited university is not necessarily infallible proof that they actually know what they claim to know.
Of course it's not perfect.  I'm sure that with sufficient time your method would become quite corrupted too.  A thing about universities thought is that they are also largely used as research institutes.  By making it so that people with skill do not need to go through them there is less chance that universities will catch them and they will fall into the pit of private companies that need people to market their toys or some shit.

I am not advocating the current model per se, just saying that is how we ended up with out current economic setup.

« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »
Of course, no system is perfect.  I greatly value universities and what they do.  I think they are absolutely indispensible.   Individuals with enough self-discipline, drive and intelligence to learn on their own what universities can teach them without actually enrolling in one are rare, but if they can satisfactorily demonstrate that they have accomplished that, they deserve at least as much recognition and respect as typical university graduates.  What one actually knows and can do should count as least as much as where or how one actually acquired one's knowledge and skills.  Prospective employers who do not recognize that, risk overlooking what could potentially be their most valuable and productive employees.

On the other hand, though, remarkable individuals who have managed to achieve the equivalent of a university education and expertise on their own, without the help of formal university instruction, are probably more likely to become independent entrepeneurs and employers rather than go to work for someone else.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:36:31 AM by Rational U.S. Viking »

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
Any progress?

« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
Any progress?

I don't know, have you sent him any money yet?

« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

<------------------
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:49:04 PM by Tom Bishop is a failure »
You are a snowman.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Any progress?

First we need to decide on a name.

« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
Any progress?

Definetely.

Don't bother worrying about what courses will be offered, the location of the "University" or who is going to teach at it, the name is definetely the most important thing right now.

Fool.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2010, 01:35:34 AM »
Any progress?

Definetely.

Don't bother worrying about what courses will be offered, the location of the "University" or who is going to teach at it, the name is definetely the most important thing right now.

Fool.

You need to attend and take Spelling Lessons 101.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:10 AM »
I'm ok thanks, i have a real degree.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2010, 03:01:38 AM »
Any progress?

Suggestions:
  • The Rowbotham Institute of Enlightenment
  • The Collage for the Realisation of Alternative Postulations (C.R.A.P)
  • Academy for Substitute Shape Hypotheses by Organised Learning of Earth Science (A.S.S. H.O.L.E.S)
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2010, 04:30:13 AM »
Any progress?

Suggestions:
  • Academy for Substitute Shape Hypotheses by Organised Learning of Earth Science (A.S.S. H.O.L.E.S)

Doubter's Organizational University for Correcting Humanity's Earthview By Alternative Geometry Selection?
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »
National Academy for Sceptical Analysis.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
Those are all great names, but I think something more relevant like "Tom Bishop is So Fucking Amazing He Slept With Your Mom Every Day and is Probably Your Dad" is the best.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
Bishop's University of Learning, Lore, and the Subsequent deHumanization of Intelligent Thought.
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »
Any progress?

Suggestions:

Doubter's Organizational University for Correcting Humanity's Earthview By Alternative Geometry Selection?

D...O...U...C...H...

Hey!  >:(
There is evidence for a NASA conspiracy. Please search.

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
California Institute of the Sciences

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
California Institute of the Sciences

That sound similar enough to a few other legit universities to sucker in idiots with limited grasp of English language/culture/US education system.

Go for it Tom! This guy want send you money now! No question! We friends now!

Sefnug

« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
Any progress?

How about "Get your degree in 2 weeks while we try to brainwash you to think the earth is flat"?

« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »
Any progress?

How about "Get your degree in 2 weeks while we try to brainwash you to think the earth is flat"?

Thats Funny LOL ;D ;D

« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
Any progress?

Thats Funny LOL ;D ;D

Why do you keep bumping old threads?

?

clovis2

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:17 AM »
I would support a Flat Earth university. Good idea,Tom.

« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Oh get real, if it really came to that, and the school would get too big or too popular, "the conspiracy" would just kill everyone involved with it and just claim they were convinced the school had nuclear weapons or something like that...

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
If I was a billionaire, I'd fund it.

Sefnug

« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
If I was a billionaire, I'd fund it.

If only there was a rich Fe'r.

« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:39 AM »
If only there was a rich Fe'r.

But Tom already runs two universities! How rich must he be?!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »
I came back to this "Start a University" idea and was thinking that the name "University of Columbia" would be a good name for this school.

Columbia is a poetic analogy which means "New Frontier".

In literature "Columbia" is also known as a female personification of America (in the sense of "European colonies in the New World"). Columbia is a term which has inspired the names of many persons, places, objects, institutions, and companies in the Western Hemisphere and beyond.

As a school designed around the free exchange of ideas and thought, Columbia would be a great name.

I was thinking that in order to compete with bigger schools we could provide a shorter, cheaper path to a degree than mainstream schools. There are several innovative models which we could work around:

Assessment of Prior Learning - College Credit is given for exams which assess one's skillset for the knowledge they already have. For example, if someone has been working in business for a number of years he or she can take tests which quizzes them in various business subjects. An entire degree can be earned through this method, as fast as one wishes, based on what they already know.

Video Courses - Rather than buildings filled with professors and long tedious classes, Columbia's curriculum can be based on instructional videos which the student can view at his or her leisure. This is perfect for someone who wishes to go to school while working. Columbia provides the student the videos and workbooks and they can educate themselves at home, on their own schedule, for less.

Only Learn What You Need - Why should an English major be forced to take courses in Biology? Why should an Artist be forced to take Calculus? Why waste your time with General Ed? At the University of Columbia you only need to  take the courses you need for your profession and can be done with your degree in months, not years.

Keep in mind that this shorter path to a degree doesn't necessarily mean that a student would get a sub par education. Without the hassle of General Ed, most majors can be mastered in a few months time.

As a school, the University of Columbia can be registered as a Non-Profit with the IRS.[/list]
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:45:14 PM by Tom Bishop »