Gays are confused, not in love

• 201 Replies
?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
Gays are confused, not in love
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »
Personally I think gays are confused, not in love with another member of the same sex.

Debate it out, I'll reply later, I have things to do this afternoon.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Gays are confused, not in love
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
I'll start by asking why you think that.

And I doubt that this debate will happen without your involvement. I'm not sure if there's anybody who shares your perspective.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
Cause most gays I know were abused sexually as a child by the opposite sex and don't want to deal with he opposite sex, refuse to.

But you know my opinion, I want to hear yours.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
Cause most gays I know were abused sexually as a child by the opposite sex and don't want to deal with he opposite sex, refuse to.
Anecdotal generalizations are not evidence. Similarly, I have never met a homosexual with a known history of sexual abuse.

I have no reason to think that homosexuals can't fall in love just as much as heterosexuals can.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »
I know plenty of gay people who are gay because....

They find members of the same sex attractive. That's all there is to it, and I know plenty of people who would punch you pretty hard in the face for saying that they're not in love with their life partner.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
Because you're not looking. You don't want to find any cause that would mean I am right.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:35 PM »
because you're not looking. You don't want to find any cause that would me I am right.
I've had this opinion long before I knew you.
Now's your chance to show me.

Edit:
Just like testosterone and estrogen ratios vary between people and sexes, hormone imbalances could easily create a spectrum of sexual attraction. The mother's stress while giving birth could easily be one of many influences on the baby's sexual orientation.

I find it a likely possibility that the one's who 'choose' one sex over another are largely bisexual, towards the middle of the continuum.

Also, animals all over the world exhibit homosexual behavior in the wild without sexual abuse.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:07:13 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »

How many gays do you know?  I seriously doubt you know more than one.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Christianrocker90

• Rays Republic
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »

You're still not looking.

Why should I tell you, you'll ignore it and then I've wasted my time typing?

How many gays do you know?  I seriously doubt you know more than one.

Well then you're wrong I know around 10.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »
Because you're not looking. You don't want to find any cause that would mean I am right.

Your point of view if completely ridiculous and I'm so glad I don't know you.
Back on topic, I'm fairly certain that there is often a scientific cause for some homosexuality.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 12:12:11 PM »
You're still not looking.
I can't see what isn't there, and you refuse to post it.

Why should I tell you, you'll ignore it and then I've wasted my time typing?
This is one of the strangest attempts at debate I have seen.
"My sides right, but I won't show you coz you won't accept it". It in no way supports your argument, attacks me, and fails to give supporting reasoning itself. The rules of logical structure and evidence are universal and undeniable. Factual integrity can often be examined. If I ignored a conclusion that I couldn't show to be flawed, you would win the argument. Stop procrastinating.

How many gays do you know?  I seriously doubt you know more than one.
This is a great example of one such fact I cannot verify.
Do you personally know them (like friends), or know of them (distanced and unfamiliar)?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:17:10 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »
How many gays do you know?  I seriously doubt you know more than one.

You know ten people who openly admit that they were sexually abused as childen, causing them to become gay? What kind of hick town are you from?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
Personally I think straights are confused, not in love with another member of the opposite sex.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
You know ten people who openly admit that they were sexually abused as childen, causing them to become gay? What kind of hick town are you from?
6+ actually. He said "most".
But still you have a point.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Another fantastically contructed argument by CR.

So you know 10 gay people and thats your generalisation to say that they are all confused and were abused.

I know 10 people who are villa fans and they are all men. This does not mean that all villa fans are men.

Why not go to your gay friends and tell them your theory and see how long it takes you to come round from your coma.
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
I think that Christianrocker made this thread so that he could prove to himself that his ludicrous theory is true. From a psychological standpoint it seems that he is having doubts about his sexuality, and if he could prove these ideas to himself than he would then be able to prove to himself that he is not gay, since he was (presumably) never abused sexually.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »

I'm sure this applies to some people, but I also know gay people who had loving and accepting parents and have never been sexually abused. Obviously sexual abuse is not a first cause for homosexuality. Like wise, many people who are sexually abused do not go on to seek same sex partners.

You are experiencing confirmation bias and avoiding other facts that don't support your idealogical thoughts. Your assumptions are not based on reality but in your own special world in your head.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:20:02 PM by grogberries »
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
Ok do you think that sexual preference is a choice? does someone look at someone else and say that hmm they fit in this category so I think I will decide to be attracted to them? or is the fact males on average are attracted to females something that they are born with. if that is the case a change in brain development could easily make them attracted to someone of the same sex.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
You expect us to believe you know "about 10" gay people and they all trust you enough to tell you that they are both gay and the victims of sexual abuse?  Most people who were sexually abused as children don't go around telling anyone about it, let alone someone who thinks they are confused about their sexuality.  

CR90, have you ever been in love?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I think it is fairly evident that homosexual attraction can be genuine; homosexuals certainly seem capable of feeling arousal around members of the same sex and I do not doubt that most receive sexual gratification through such pursuits. The mistake is assuming one must act on such selfish and abhorrent urges. A man who desires men, but realizes his duty to society and takes on a woman to copulate with is a patriot in my books. Your actions are what defines you in relation to others. If you keep inclinations toward the same sex to yourself and spurn them, you are not homosexual.

when I accuse you of bringing your personal moral preferences into a discussion of legality and psychology, this is what I meant.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
I know 3 gay people. None of them were sexually abused as Children. Therefore no gays have ever been sexually abused as children.

Also CR, what is the percentage of non-gays in your incestuous redneck town who were molested as children?

Pete

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I think it is fairly evident that homosexual attraction can be genuine; homosexuals certainly seem capable of feeling arousal around members of the same sex and I do not doubt that most receive sexual gratification through such pursuits. The mistake is assuming one must act on such selfish and abhorrent urges. A man who desires men, but realizes his duty to society and takes on a woman to copulate with is a patriot in my books. Your actions are what defines you in relation to others. If you keep inclinations toward the same sex to yourself and spurn them, you are not homosexual.

when I accuse you of bringing your personal moral preferences into a discussion of legality and psychology, this is what I meant.
I stated one personal opinion in that post and it wasn't in the sentence you highlighted.

Lol. Your opinion was stating that homosexual sex was a "selfish and abhorent urge"  ::)

Your becoming rather obvious. Try being more subtle next time.

Pete

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
Your opinion was stating that homosexual sex was a "selfish and abhorent urge"  ::)
Replace the adjectives with any others of your choice and the statement still holds true.

True according to you. Other people disagree, and your personal opinions as to the moral value of homosexual intercourse aren't absolute.

Pete

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »
Your opinion was stating that homosexual sex was a "selfish and abhorent urge"  ::)
Replace the adjectives with any others of your choice and the statement still holds true.

True according to you. Other people disagree, and your personal opinions as to the moral value of homosexual intercourse aren't absolute.
Me saying that people do not necessarily have to act on homosexual urges is somehow false? ???

No, but your claiming that such urges are inherently evil is not necessarily correct. And now you are just being deliberately obtuse.  ::)

Pete

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

Me saying that people do not necessarily have to act on homosexual urges is somehow false? ???

No, but your claiming that such urges are inherently evil is not necessarily correct. And now you are just being deliberately obtuse.  ::)
As I said, spin the observation whichever way you want and it's still true.

You have yet to offer any reason for your opinion being true.  ::)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »
Personally I think gays are confused, not in love with another member of the same sex.

Debate it out, I'll reply later, I have things to do this afternoon.

The fact that you somehow think someone could be confused enough to fuck guys makes me think you're a bit gay. I couldn't really imagine being with another guy, and I'm pretty sure it is a biological issue not a psychological one.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
A man who desires men, but realizes his duty to society and takes on a woman to copulate with is a patriot in my books.

That's a cruel argument.  If someone is homosexual, then they will never be able to truly love a woman the same way that they love a man.  Do you think that procreating is a more important aspect of marriage than loving your spouse?

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
From what Ive found when looking into the matter is that it can be both a choice and innate, but far more often it is innate.

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation.[75] The main reasons cited include genetic and environmental factors, likely in combination.[76][77] Other factors that may play a role include prenatal hormone exposure, where hormones play a role in determining sexual orientation as they do with sex differentiation;[78][79] and prenatal stress on the mother.[80][81][82]"

"The American Psychological Association, American Psychiatric Association, and National Association of Social Workers stated in an amicus brief presented to the Supreme Court of the State of California: "Sexual orientation has proved to be generally impervious to interventions intended to change it, which are sometimes referred to as ?reparative therapy.? No scientifically adequate research has shown that such interventions are effective or safe."

-Also, gays and lesbians should be able to have civil unions for the simple reason that the only arguments that people are able to make against them having civil unions are solely religious based, and the US is a secular system of government.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:05:21 AM by Sadistic »
"So now we know. Pigs are horses. Girls are boys. War is peace." -Arundhati Roy

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
This thread is a joke right? Various scientific studies have shown that homosexuality is for the most part entirely biological, with the exception of a few actual pyschological disorders. I've never heard of people turning gay because they were abused as kids, it doesn't really make sense. Bad childhood usually leads to social disorders and anxiety, but I really can't see how it can make a person randomely start being attracted to members of the same sex. And I live in California. Hell even my high school English teacher was gay.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »

Anecdotal generalizations are not evidence. Similarly, I have never met a homosexual with a known history of sexual abuse.

To:  Christian Rocker & Sing:
1st to answer  C Rocker.... I was sexually abused as a child by the opposite sex, but I do not run from the opposite sex today, NOR did I become homosexual/gay.

2nd to answer   Sing....  I have met some people who have been sexually abused as a child whether by the same sex or opposite sex and did become homosexual /gay.  Normally though- the people I met that fell into that category were abused by same sex, and /or rejected by opposite sex.

Agreed though Sing - it is a generalization - but there are cases of it.
Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."