Is the Earth Flat? Or is it round?

• 39 Replies
Is the Earth Flat? Or is it round?
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
My initial response to this without any evidence is, "I really don't know." Either argument is sound, and i love the fact that this website challenges everything that we have been taught at such a young age. Can anyone argue that either one could be right?

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
Re: Is the Earth Flat? Or is it round?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »
A very good point, I really don't know but believe the Flat Earth theory much more likely.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
Actually, I'd say with no evidence, you'd be more likely to assume the earth is flat.  It certainly doesn't look spherical from our level.

But the problem is, there has been shed loads of research done, by various organizations over the past hundred years or more, that shows the earth as round.

Without bandying "Conspiracy" around, there is much less evidence in favour of a flat earth.  Most of it seems to be "it looks flat", a few relatively untested hypotheses to explain things like perspective and curvature, and some odd (but nonetheless clever) bendy light theories and equations.
(There's no doubt more, but I can't remember it...)

Round earth evidence is much more compelling.  Examples include Continental drift and Plate Tectonics, Fossil evidence, the same rocks on different continents, Ocean conveyor systems, geophysical mapping of the internal structure of the earth, plus all the space programs and satellites.  Again, there's probably more I forgot or couldn't be bothered to type out.  A good old search will give you plenty.
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
It seems to me Joeval said what I wanna say.  XD
Recently listened to:

Spacehopperjoe

• He dosnt sleep, he waits.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:52:07 AM »
Can anyone argue that either one could be right?

Eh, there is only one right theory, RE. Until the FE'ers have a reason for lunar eclipses which is backed up by research and evidence (like the Greeks did back in the day to prove the earth was round,) the FE religion will always be some sort of half cast joke. Stuck between make believe science and faith.
Read the FAQ first, it will save half of you looking like fools!

MikeVaughanG

• Get Yo'self Some Truthiness
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:58:53 AM »
"your retarted"
ps. i couldnt give s shit about spelling, gramma or puntuation -slammer

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 07:11:03 AM »

the FE religion..

HaHaHa!
No low content posting in the upper fora folks.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »
Aha!  Mr Davis!  Just the person I was hoping would come into this thread...

As a FE'er, could you give a quick list of whatever FE evidence/theories I've left out of my post?  I'm clearly RE, so my post is a bit biased...  No doubt I forgot all sorts of flat earth stuff.

If nothing else, it would bring a bit of balance to this thread!
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

?

smudge1

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »
Of course the earth is flat. That's why my overseas mail always goes missing, along with the ship that takes it because quite obviously it falls off the edge. What's the matter with you all? Are you all stoopid? It's just so obvious!

Oh yes, just like god exists too, because ther's a big thick black book that says so.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:14:48 AM »
Of course the earth is flat. That's why my overseas mail always goes missing, along with the ship that takes it because quite obviously it falls off the edge. What's the matter with you all? Are you all stoopid? It's just so obvious!

Oh yes, just like god exists too, because ther's a big thick black book that says so.
Read the faq, forum rules, and lurk a bit before you post again.

Most of us are atheists.  There is nothing with overseas mail.
Quantum Ab Hoc

?

Nord

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »

the fact you join this site to criticize flat earth means deep down you probably have doubts about a round earth...same for most other members who join this site to ''mock'' the flat earth...

why is it 99% of the ''anti-flat earthers'' on this forum don't post in flat earth debates?

of course because they can't refute flat earth. have a look on the forum...all the anti-flat earthers instead can be found in the areas where there are meaningless music or political debates.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »

the fact you join this site to criticize flat earth means deep down you probably have doubts about a round earth...same for most other members who join this site to ''mock'' the flat earth...

why is it 99% of the ''anti-flat earthers'' on this forum don't post in flat earth debates?

Must be that I'm a member of the 1% club.

of course because they can't refute flat earth. have a look on the forum...all the anti-flat earthers instead can be found in the areas where there are meaningless music or political debates.

Actually, most of the regulars that post in the lower fora claim to be FE true believers.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 02:00:51 AM »

Eh, there is only one right theory, RE. Until the FE'ers have a reason for lunar eclipses which is backed up by research and evidence (like the Greeks did back in the day to prove the earth was round,) the FE religion will always be some sort of half cast joke. Stuck between make believe science and faith.

We actually use those old Greek equations to predict our eclipses too. It's just an equation which predicts a recurring pattern which is seen in the sky.

It's the same way modern Astronomers still do it. Patterns in the sky and an equation which will predict the next.

Consult the Lunar Eclipse chapters of Earth Not a Globe and Zetetic Cosmogony in my signature link if you are interested in learning more.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 06:17:30 AM »
We actually use those old Greek equations to predict our eclipses too. It's just an equation which predicts a recurring pattern which is seen in the sky.

It's the same way modern Astronomers still do it. Patterns in the sky and an equation which will predict the next.

Consult the Lunar Eclipse chapters of Earth Not a Globe and Zetetic Cosmogony in my signature link if you are interested in learning more.

That's nice, Tom.  Did the ancient Greeks say anything about a mysterious shadow object causing lunar eclipses, or did they figure out that the round earth was the shadow object?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:58:39 AM »

Really? Could you explain further?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »

That's nice, Tom.  Did the ancient Greeks say anything about a mysterious shadow object causing lunar eclipses, or did they figure out that the round earth was the shadow object?

All the Greeks did was provide an equation to tell us the recurrence of the Lunar Eclipse.

You have a lot of free time throughout the night when you're not stuck on your computer.

Really? Could you explain further?

Check my signature link. It took me a couple clicks in to get to this:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+shadow+on+the+moon+during+a+Lunar+Eclipse+is+round

Read the source reference in Zetetic Cosmogony, Earth Not a Globe, and others. Read them without bias.

The greeks and ancients provided charts and equations which showed CYCLES of patterns in the sky.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:20:52 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+shadow+on+the+moon+during+a+Lunar+Eclipse+is+round

Read the source reference in Zetetic Cosmogony, Earth Not a Globe, and others.

Nope. No Greek equation.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »

Read the source reference in Zetetic Cosmogony, Earth Not a Globe, and others.

Nope. No Greek equation.

The specific equations are provided in the Lunar Eclipse Chapter of Earth Not a Globe, 2nd Edition. At the very end of the chapter.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 03:30:36 PM »
The specific equations are provided in the Lunar Eclipse Chapter of Earth Not a Globe, 2nd Edition. At the very end of the chapter.

The one that was produced by "modern theorists".

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »

The one that was produced by "modern theorists".

The same explanation still stands today. That's why it's in the Wiki.

Astronomers have tried to create eclipse predictions which take into account the geometry of the earth, sun, and moon. It's simply too hard to do. I've seen them try to do it. They hand wave something about "perturbations of orbit" and say that the Greek way is the best way to do it.

After NASA gives its yearly eclipse predictions, when you look at their "how it was done page" please look out for the words "Ancient Greeks" and "Cycles".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:55:03 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »

The same explanation still stands today. That's why it's in the Wiki.
But it's not in the wiki.

And that's not an equation produced by ancient Greeks.

Astronomers have tried to create eclipse predictions which take into account the geometry of the earth, sun, and moon. It's simply too hard to do. I've seen them try to do it. They hand wave something about "perturbations of orbit" and say that the Greek way is the best way to do it.

You'll have no difficulty in backing up this cool story with some fact.

After NASA gives its yearly eclipse predictions, when you look at their "how it was done page" please look out for the words "Ancient Greeks" and "Cycles".

Actually NASA have produced eclipse data for every city on the planet until the year 3000.

Please highlight the "how was it done" section on this site that contains the words "Ancient Greeks".

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:20:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
http://www.screencast.com/users/tbishop/folders/Jing/media/5fdaffdc-ba0f-45a2-b895-4026b6a5951f

There. Now stop bothering me.

Using a hammer to crack a nut there Tom.

This was the passage you highlighted:

The periodicity and recurrence of eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). It was known to the Chaldeans as a period when lunar eclipses seem to repeat themselves, but the cycle is applicable to solar eclipses as well.

Nope. No reference to "how it was done" being due to ancient Greeks. :(

I'm still waiting for you to back up your cool story too.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
http://www.screencast.com/users/tbishop/folders/Jing/media/5fdaffdc-ba0f-45a2-b895-4026b6a5951f

There. Now stop bothering me.

Using a hammer to crack a nut there Tom.

This was the passage you highlighted:

The periodicity and recurrence of eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). It was known to the Chaldeans as a period when lunar eclipses seem to repeat themselves, but the cycle is applicable to solar eclipses as well.

Nope. No reference to "how it was done" being due to ancient Greeks. :(

I'm still waiting for you to back up your cool story too.

Fact: The Greeks could predict the eclipse thousands of years in advance.

Data: The Chaldean (Babylonian) Renaissance happened at least a thousand years after the Greeks. It's known that the Greeks were around since at least 3000 B.C.

Conclusion: They got their cycle charts from the Greeks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:42:54 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
Fact: The Greeks could predict the eclipse thousands of years in advance.

Maybe. I've not seen your ancient Greek equation yet to verify if that's true.

The Chaldean Renaissance happened at least one thousand years after the Greeks. The Greek Renaissance happened around 3000 B.C.

They got their cycles from the Greeks.
[/quote]

Nice logic there. Let me try:

Nuclear power was invented in 1942, at least 100 years after the Georgian era in Britain. They got their nuclear power from the Georgians.

And I'm still waiting for you to back up your cool story too.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »

Again, the equations are in Earth Not a Globe, Second Edition, at the very end of the Lunar Eclipse chapter.

Links to online versions of the literature are in the signature.

Nice logic there. Let me try:

Nuclear power was invented in 1942, at least 100 years after the Georgian era in Britain. They got their nuclear power from the Georgians.

Did the Georgians claim to have Nuclear Power in 1842?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:48:05 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »

Again, the equation are in Earth Not a Globe, Second Edition, at the very end of the Lunar Eclipse chapter.

No. That was an equation produced by "modern theorists".

Did the Georgians claim to have Nuclear Power in 1842?

Did the Greeks claim to have an equation for lunar eclipses?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
No. That was an equation produced by "modern theorists".

Nope. The calculations are one in the same. Predicting the same phenomenon with the same equations which have been passed down in schools from generation to generation for thousands of years.

The Greeks also invented Algebra, by the way. Aristotile used Algebra to calculate buoyancy in liquid. The very same ones we also use today.

Did the Greeks claim to have an equation for lunar eclipses?

Yes, they did. Please read Earth Not a Globe. It also happens to be a history book.

Read more. Post less.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:02:15 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »
Amazing that the NASA site doesn't mention this mystery "shadow object"  You'd think they would have discovered it by now.  Also amazing how the wiki references that something blocks the light from the sun to the moon.  I thought the moon produced its own light?
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:17 AM »
The Greeks also invented Algebra, by the way. Aristotile used Algebra to calculate buoyancy in liquid. The very same ones we also use today.
Actually, not to veer off topic too much, it was Indians mostly.
Quantum Ab Hoc