radiometric dating

• 11 Replies
radiometric dating
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:55:53 AM »
some of you seem to have something against radiometric dating in general. probably because you are creationists and you do not like the idea of anything being older than ~6000 years old.

these two papers use non-radiometric methods to put a minimum age on the sun, which agrees perfectly with the radiometric ages of the oldest known meteorites. this is predicted by the solar system accretion theory.
consequently
a) we have an age for the whole solar system
b) radiometric dating (and all its assumptions) are perfectly valid over any timescale.

http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/aa/pdf/2002/30/aa2598.pdf?access=ok

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/9809/9809361.pdf
tf?

radiometric dating
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »
we've been over this. some creationist started bashing the big bang and evolution and got smacked down over the course of like 12 pages.

radiometric dating
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:09:37 AM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
we've been over this. some creationist started bashing the big bang and evolution and got smacked down over the course of like 12 pages.

haha, i bet it was the old "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" stuff.
tf?

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
radiometric dating
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
Big Bang Smackdown! Only available on Pay-Per-View!

I could not resist.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

radiometric dating
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »
Don't call me a monkey, i'm an ape, there is a big difference between monkeys and apes!!!

radiometric dating
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
Dr. Quak, arn't humans great apes anyway, a different and superior group to most apes?
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

radiometric dating
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:26:54 PM »
that was actually a quote from planet of the apes, but yes your right, we are a great ape, as are gorrillas orangutans, chimps and those monkeys that shag everything that walks

radiometric dating
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
I really want to get two of those, give them a lot of food, and see if they ever sleep
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Re: radiometric dating
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 04:41:27 PM »
Quote from: "Ezkerraldean"
some of you seem to have something against radiometric dating in general. probably because you are creationists and you do not like the idea of anything being older than ~6000 years old.

What? I'm an evolutionist just as much as I am a Flat Earther. I believe that the Earth is millions of years old, and it's impirically obvious that mankind is descended from other animals, as are all other species on the planet (there are a few exceptions to this (penguins and a few other genetic hybrids), but overall it's obvious that life on Earth is inter-related and derives from one or more common ancestors).
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

radiometric dating
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 05:36:20 PM »
The theory of evolution does NOT claim that we are descended from monkeys or apes, but that we AND monkeys/apes are descended from the same micro-organisms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

Re: radiometric dating
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"

What? I'm an evolutionist just as much as I am a Flat Earther. I believe that the Earth is millions of years old, and it's impirically obvious that mankind is descended from other animals, as are all other species on the planet (there are a few exceptions to this (penguins and a few other genetic hybrids), but overall it's obvious that life on Earth is inter-related and derives from one or more common ancestors).

Empirical.

radiometric dating
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:35:36 PM »
Quote from: "troubadour"

haha, i bet it was the old "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" stuff.

No it's more like he couldn't grasp the wealth of cosmological evidence for the big bang. He didn't understand how entropy works and kept invoking the 2nd law of thermodynamics even though it didn't support his position at all.