seismic waves

• 9 Replies
seismic waves
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:40:29 AM »
waves produced by earthwuakes travel through the earth at speeds depending on the medium density, and they also refract when meeting a change in medium. these waves, when detected in various parts of the world, build a picture of the structure of the earth, with its differentiated layers: crust, asthenosphere (low-velocity layer), the mantle, the liquid outer core and the solid inner core (known to be solid through detection of shear waves)

so, presumably, this is all a conspiracy too?
is the global network of seismometers, several of which i have operated myself, all a lie?
tf?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
seismic waves
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:04:31 AM »
Why would the FE be any different?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

seismic waves
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 08:39:22 AM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Why would the FE be any different?

because the whole structure depends on a round earth. there is no hint that the waves bounce of the bottom of the flat earth, or anything like that.

and the whole concept of shadow zones would not be possible on a flat earth, since that requires the observer to be "behind" the liquid outer core in relation to the earthquake focus. yet, shadow zones blatantly do exist.
tf?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
seismic waves
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
Quote from: "Ezkerraldean"
there is no hint that the waves bounce of the bottom of the flat earth, or anything like that.

They almost certainly do.  Waves reflect off any interface between media of differing impedance, such as rock and air.  Depending on whether the change is a decrease or an increase, the reflection is even or odd, respectively.

since that requires the observer to be "behind" the liquid outer core in relation to the earthquake focus.

They could be behind the liquid outer core in relation to a virtual image of the reflected wave.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

seismic waves
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

They almost certainly do.  Waves reflect off any interface between media of differing impedance, such as rock and air.  Depending on whether the change is a decrease or an increase, the reflection is even or odd, respectively..

no they dont. they infer spherical concentric structure. if they didnt, it would be obvious.

They could be behind the liquid outer core in relation to a virtual image of the reflected wave.

what?
tf?

seismic waves
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »
mmm?

look in a geology textbook to see how seismic waves actually work. or do it yourself at a university.

oh no sorry, thats all a conspiracy.
tf?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
seismic waves
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »
From another, highly similar thread:

"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

seismic waves
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
bullshit.

you would get further waves generated at the intersection with the mantle, and they certainly dont look like that.

in that model, there is no possibility of a shadow zone either.
tf?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
seismic waves
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »
bullshit.

you would get further waves generated at the intersection with the mantle, and they certainly dont look like that.

in that model, there is no possibility of a shadow zone either.

Whatever. It wasn't supposed to be at all accurate - I'm no seismologist - It was just showing how both P and S waves can bounce off the UA and back up into the Earth again.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

seismic waves
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 01:49:24 PM »
mmm?

look in a geology textbook to see how seismic waves actually work. or do it yourself at a university.

oh no sorry, thats all a conspiracy.

I find it funny that you couldn't even understand what Erasmus was talking about, then tell him HE'S the one that needs to go read up on the subject.