Here's proof for you

• 21 Replies
?

Earthequalsround

Here's proof for you
« on: June 19, 2005, 07:36:12 AM »
Go sit at a beach. Look at the horizon. See any other continents? No? Wonder why? BECAUSE THE EARTH IS CURVED!!!  Explain to me how, on a flat earth, this could happend.

Here's proof for you
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 12:50:34 PM »
:roll:  You're assuming light travels in straight lines. A typical misconception of round-earthers

?

Anon

Here's proof for you
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:57:02 AM »
Light does travel in straight lines. If you want proof, get a laser pen and a fog machine.

This site is complete farse.

?

WTF

Here's proof for you
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
Light is affected by gravity, but the distance to the horizon is completely insignificant.  It's a straight line from there, to an observer.  At least make up some BS about air causing visual distortions, that'd be more believable. (But still wrong)

?

Dr_Bill

Sea Level Basic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:33:12 PM »
Ok .... OK Light waves are straight.

Of course the world is flat.  The basic law of Sea Level is that the oceans are the same height.  Conclusion: The Sea is flat.

?

WTF

Here's proof for you
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 04:54:09 AM »
I hope you are being sarcastic.

?

Anonymous

Re: Sea Level Basic
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:20:48 PM »
Quote from: "Dr_Bill"
Ok .... OK Light waves are straight.

Of course the world is flat.  The basic law of Sea Level is that the oceans are the same height.  Conclusion: The Sea is flat.

And sadly, however, that is wrong too. :o

Remember, the water always goes to where the moon is, so when it's on one side of the earth, all the water will try and go there, which we call a tide there, and when the moon comes to the other side, then they have a tide.

:< I can't remember the word for the opposite of a tide.

?

Anonymous

Here's proof for you
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 06:17:15 AM »
Ebb, I believe.

Here's proof for you
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 07:55:18 PM »
You wouldn't be able to see a continent (unless we're talking about a continent exceptionally close to your position - like if you stand on the southern tip of Spain and look towards Morocco - which you can obviously see) even if you were standing on a perfectly flat surface. If you stood in some massive room (say 10 miles long) then you would not be able to see a ball lying on the ground 7 miles from where you're standing for example. The reason is that on a perfectly flat surface you view everything from the angle that your head is at to the ground - i.e. for the first meter or so the angle is fairly steeply above the ground, every meter away from you that you go the angle from your head to the point you wish to see gets smaller until the changes in angle are minimal. Therefore in your sphere of vision (yes I do believe the eye is round  :wink: ) you have a large area of your eye looking at the first meter or so away from you, with less and less of the sphere of your vision for each point that is further away from you. As such when you get to say 2,000 miles away from you, the object is so ridiculously small - or more accurately, occupies such a ridiculously small area of your sphere of vision - that it is not visible.

Seriously, this is one of the silliest objections I've heard. Unless you think that all people are blessed with some incredible super hero-esque ability to see things tousands of miles away from their vantage point then it's obvious you wouldn't be able to see a continent thousands of miles away - on a flat surface or otherwise.
sip eht gnikat

?

Anonymous

Here's proof for you
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 08:22:11 PM »
You, sir, know nothing about optics.

Here's proof for you
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 09:26:21 PM »
I thought I explained that rather well, oh well I guess I know nothing about optics.
sip eht gnikat

?

Ninja Hippy

Here's proof for you
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:40:10 PM »
Indeed. There is no such thing as a "sphere of vision". Electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum which bounces off objects casts energy onto the water molecules in the retina of your eye. It's not like some video game where you have a sight range of a hundred feet. As long as that radiation reaches you, you can see it with proper magnification.

So say, for a moment, that your optical theory is correct. We can see oh, the 4000 miles away to the 35 mile diameter sun, but we can't see the five miles to the end of our 'sphere of vision' (called by us round-earthers the horizon)? If a continent is 20 miles away over the horizon, and we can't see it due to our "sphere of vision", why can we see 4000 miles to the 35 mile sun (35 miles being much less than the size of a continental coastline)? Why doesn't our vision just cut off?

If your sphere of vision is nonexistent, but the earth is flat and the only reason we can't see is due to our poor sight range, shouldn't a telescope be able to see that far? We have some very powerful telescopes these days. Try investing in one, and see if you can spot the Hawaiian islands from the California shoreline. You won't have much luck.

Here's proof for you
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:23:35 PM »
I was taking the piss I don't believe the earth is flat.
sip eht gnikat

?

mt8

Here's proof for you
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 08:46:36 AM »
so... who's found the end of the earth so far?
that's the most simple way of proving the flat earth theory, and it isnt much of a feat with current transportational technology.

?

WTF

Here's proof for you
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 08:48:27 AM »
Air distorts your sight the further you look.  It would be hard to see great distances on a flat earth.  But if you were on a flat planet with no air, you could see a LOT farther, a lot clearer.  Video the astronauts took on the moon highlights this - it's hard to judge how far away something is on the moon because it's all so clear.  It could be far and large, or close and smaller and you can hardly tell the difference.

?

Mr Pink57

Here's proof for you
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »
my question to the flat earth people is... since we have put a satellite in space and have landed on the moon.  It clearly shows teh earth it OVAL rather then FLAT.  That is an obvious answer to us all.

And do not sit here and tell me that it was all a hoax, becasue then you are dumber then I thought you where.

pink

?

Mr Pink57

Here's proof for you
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 03:29:37 PM »
p.s. I would have liked to edit my post to fix some spelling errors but I can not since I am a guest.  Also I meant to say more of a sphere then oval.

pink

Here's proof for you
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:09:23 AM »
RE: Ninja Hippy, "sphere of vision" is simply different terminology describing the same optics you attempted to describe. The fact that you've never heard this terminology before does not mean it doesn't exist. Terminology comes into existence to (get this) describe things, if there were people like you standing next to everyone who proposed a new term (not that it was my term) then we wouldn't have any terminology in the first place. Stop remembering and start thinking :!:
sip eht gnikat

Here's proof for you
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 01:09:02 PM »
the people who found the end of the earth obviously fell off rendering them incapable of telling us they'd found it!

Here's proof for you
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 10:58:51 AM »
an 11th century peasent could tell you that the earth is flat...and he has an excuse ecasue people back then were stupid... you sir have no excuse, you live in a modern era in which we can fly, boat, and drive across vasst distances, if your so destined to prove it get al the other tossers on this website, gat some money, get a sesna, and fly in one direction ,you will go back whence you came! BECASUE THE EARTH IS ROUND!
m a borderline, parinoid, sociopath...and i think your all crazy

?

pspunit

• The Elder Ones
Here's proof for you
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 03:19:39 PM »
Old_Mother_Hubbard, I thought there was a 150 ft. wall of ice keeping that from happening.
Three people of different nationalities walk into the bar. Two of them say something smart, and the third one makes a mockery of his fellow countrymen by acting dumb."

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Here's proof for you
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 03:35:27 PM »
Quote from: "Darmikalus"
an 11th century peasent could tell you that the earth is flat...and he has an excuse ecasue people back then were stupid... you sir have no excuse, you live in a modern era in which we can fly, boat, and drive across vasst distances, if your so destined to prove it get al the other tossers on this website, gat some money, get a sesna, and fly in one direction ,you will go back whence you came! BECASUE THE EARTH IS ROUND!

Actually they believed the earth was round back then, and they weren't stupid either, maybe ignorant of a few things, but they where no more stupid than you or me. Oh, and I bet the ones that could write could spell. :)
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.