The Ice Wall Can't Exist; Ice Melts Under Pressure

• 48 Replies
?

Ubuntu

« on: July 17, 2006, 03:23:08 PM »
The Antarctic ocean is 13 000 - 16 000 feet deep, meaning a huge amount of water pressure would be exertered on a wall stretching from 150 feet above the surface to the ocean floor. Even if the ice wouldn't slowly crack open, ice melts under pressure, so the ice wall cannot exist so far down. There is an experiment you can do to prove it to yourself:

http://www.dimdima.com/science/science_common/show_science.asp?q_aid=184&q_title=Ice+Melts+Under+Pressure

Most liquids freeze at a higher temperature under pressure because the pressure helps to hold the molecules together. However, the strong hydrogen bonds in water make it different: water freezes at a temperature below 0 °C under a pressure higher than 1 atm. Consequently water also remains frozen at a temperature above 0 °C under a pressure lower than 1 atm. The melting of ice under high pressures is thought to contribute to why glaciers move.

-Wikipedia.org (Ice)

The Southern Ocean is located in the Southern Hemisphere at 4,000 to 5,000 meters (13,000 to 16,000 ft) deep.

-Wikipedia.org (Antarctic/Southern Ocean)

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »
Very nice. Of all my knowledge of chemistry, I was not aware of this fact. But yeah, that would make sense because of the hydrogen bonding thing. Just never carried it out to this conclusion. Very well done. This should put a nice shiny bullet hole in the Ice Wall Theory.
 am a round-earther traversing this site to disprove false claims and bring the light of science to those who remain in the dark without it. Thank you for your time.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:27:32 PM »
Nice. Somehow the FE's will explain their way out of it... but nice.
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:31:43 PM »
Well they'll either explain their way out of it or ignore it.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:32:17 PM »
Quote from: "Phoenix"
Well they'll either explain their way out of it or ignore it.

I'm guessing the latter.
 am a round-earther traversing this site to disprove false claims and bring the light of science to those who remain in the dark without it. Thank you for your time.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 03:50:56 PM »
Why does the ice wall have to be completely ice?  How can anyone assume that there isn't a rock wall there that just happens to be covered in ice?

By the way, I'm not an FE'er.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
Well, you see, RE's aren't the ones doing the assuming, the FE's are. And, RE's can only aruge what they tell us. So, if they don't tell us that there is rock there and they only mention the ice, we have to assume that they mean an ice wall, so we do.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »
...Makes sense to me....
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
Actually the some of the main FE's come unto cadmium's conclusion as well, the ice wall is 150ish feet high, what is below that is most likely rock, very dense and solid rock.  

This would not only be important for the point youre bringing up right now, but the fact that ice floats, so there is a rock wall under this.

And to stop any whiny posts, I did not make this up right now, it was discussed at legnth in a thread
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

Re: The Ice Wall Can't Exist; Ice Melts Under Pressure
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 02:07:47 PM »
Quote from: "Ubuntu"
The Antarctic ocean is 13 000 - 16 000 feet deep, meaning a huge amount of water pressure would be exertered on a wall stretching from 150 feet above the surface to the ocean floor.

I'm tired of seeing the same old wrong bullshit from you some I'm going to SHOW you why you're wrong:

There's no reason for the ice wall to go all the way down the side of the earth.  In that pic brown is rock, light blue is water, green is land, dark blue is the ice wall.  See, I don't care how deep that crevice is, since a rock wall goes up the other side, and only some ice wall on the last few feet.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:50:11 AM »
Quote from: "qwerty789"
The Antarctic ocean is 13 000 - 16 000 feet deep, meaning a huge amount of water pressure would be exertered on a wall stretching from 150 feet above the surface to the ocean floor.

I'm tired of seeing the same old wrong bullshit from you some I'm going to SHOW you why you're wrong:

There's no reason for the ice wall to go all the way down the side of the earth.  In that pic brown is rock, light blue is water, green is land, dark blue is the ice wall.  See, I don't care how deep that crevice is, since a rock wall goes up the other side, and only some ice wall on the last few feet.

But the FE doesnt say anything about that.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:08 AM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"
Quote from: "qwerty789"

But the FE doesnt say anything about that.

:lol:
he Earth is in FACT cylindrical, and on the underside of us exists nobody but the entire roster of the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Surrounded by Cheeto hot sauce.
Automobiles are a conspiracy set up by the KGB, who are the product of the illuminati.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 01:54:23 AM »
So if ice melts under pressure, how is the RE Antarctic, which is alledgedly completely surrounded by water, supposed to stay solid?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 01:54:46 AM »
oooh *attemts to quarrel for the FR'ers* Imagine if the ice wall DID melt, or even break, at some point...what would most likely happen? the moment the next wave hits the black of space (cold cold place O.o) it would most likely instantly freeze like that *snaps fingers* making a new bit of ice wall  :shock:  then, over the months or so, some large waves would add to it's height... and and and imagine how pwutty the earth would look underneath if this was how it worked, if all the molten ice trickeled down, reaching hotter spots that would melt it over due to the heat from within the earth, slowly but surely make purdy icicles all over O.o awwww...now I almost WISH the earth was flat O.o
ill a cloned baby grown in a laboratory have a belly button?

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 01:56:33 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
So if ice melts under pressure, how is the RE Antarctic, which is alledgedly completely surrounded by water, supposed to stay solid?

how about the obvious-

1. Its not a wall
2. In the understories of it liquid water has been discovered

Do you dispute the fact that your driveway ices up too?

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10:01 AM »
Quote from: "TehErrthIsRownt"

how about the obvious-

1. Its not a wall

You have no tact. The point of a debate is to question the opposing side, wait for their response, and then counter it. You're assuming you're right and telling everyone else that they're wrong with no evidence to back it up. As much as I believe that the earth is round, I still think evidence should be provided for why it is I believe it's round.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10:48 AM »
Quote from: "Aralith"

how about the obvious-

1. Its not a wall

You have no tact. The point of a debate is to question the opposing side, wait for their response, and then counter it. You're assuming you're right and telling everyone else that they're wrong with no evidence to back it up. As much as I believe that the earth is round, I still think evidence should be provided for why it is I believe it's round.

Umm, Im not going to sit here and ''back up'' why the earth is fucking round.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 02:15:41 AM »
Well, if you want to convince anyone (and if you want to have an actual debate) that's what you'll have to do. If you can't back up why the earth is round, then me and everyone else in this forum has to assume that you just believe what you've been taught, and don't really know why the earth is round. So yes, to have any kind of merit in this forum, you do need to back up why the earth is "f***ing round."

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 02:19:03 AM »

What do you hope to achieve at the homepage of the Flat Earth Society then?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 02:22:15 AM »

I concur (man this has been happening alot since the arrival of this guy and the Aday guy. Oh well, here comes the signature concurence message)

The Danimal approves this message.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 02:23:03 AM »
Quote from: "Aralith"

I concur (man this has been happening alot since the arrival of this guy and the Aday guy. Oh well, here comes the signature concurence message)

The Danimal approves this message.

To bad you weren't here when all 25 of us showed up.
That was the bees knees.
he Earth is in FACT cylindrical, and on the underside of us exists nobody but the entire roster of the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Surrounded by Cheeto hot sauce.
Automobiles are a conspiracy set up by the KGB, who are the product of the illuminati.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 02:24:30 AM »
Actually, I'm rather glad I wasn't here when 25 of you showed up. Man, the mods are going to be busy now. 25 of you. I hope Erasmus can deal with it all.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 10:24:36 AM »

The Antarctic is is a continent like any other; it's made of rock and ground. Antarctica is just covered with ice. As for glaciers, icebergs, and chunks of floating ice - they don't stretch to the ocean floor.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 11:11:37 AM »
As for glaciers, icebergs, and chunks of floating ice - they don't stretch to the ocean floor.

Sounds like you're saying that it's reasonable to believe that the ice wall doesn't go all the way to the ocean floor, as per qwerty789's diagram.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »

The Antarctic is is a continent like any other; it's made of rock and ground. Antarctica is just covered with ice. As for glaciers, icebergs, and chunks of floating ice - they don't stretch to the ocean floor.

Why can't the Ice Wall of FE theory have rocks underneath it too?

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
I already pointedout that I believe that the Ice Wall is in fact rock on the bottom portion.
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 02:24:26 AM »

discuss
SHOOP DA WHOOP

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
Quote from: "submerge529"

discuss

A small piece of ice in my glass of blue kool-aid.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »
Quote from: "submerge529"

discuss

A blue killer whale with blue blood and blue-white flesh EXPLODING at Sea World!
SHOOP DA WHOOP

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 01:07:17 PM »
Exploding whale
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.