Over the edge?

• 33 Replies
?

Fred

Over the edge?
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:26 AM »
If the ice wall is unapproachable, why would the ancients have been afraid of falling off the edge of the earth? If it is approachable, they would have seen an impenetrable ice wall that would have prevented them from falling off the edge. In either case, there should have been no reason to fear the edge of the earth.

I guess the bigger question is this: if the ice wall is unapproachable, how does anyone know what is out there?
the true measure of maturity is the ability to comprehend the discomfort of another.

Re: Over the edge?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Because its not out there.

?

Proleg

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:39:11 AM »
Some theorize that the earth is an infinite plane that bisects the universe; there might not even be an edge, for all we know.

?

Fred

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
Some theorize that the earth is an infinite plane that bisects the universe; there might not even be an edge, for all we know.
Then I wonder what all the fuss is about concerning limited natural resources and global warming...
the true measure of maturity is the ability to comprehend the discomfort of another.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »
Then I wonder what all the fuss is about concerning limited natural resources and global warming...

Past where we live, I assume, is too harsh for people to survive.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »

Past where we live, I assume, is too harsh for people to survive.

But if global warming was happening and we had an infinite flat plane, the outer edges would gradually become more habitable as the inner bits became less so, right?
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
We can't mine or drill resources in the Antarctic.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:01:59 PM »

Very true. But you are unable to prove, if the earth is indeed flat, that the south pole is not at the centre and the Arctic is in fact the one round the edge. In fact, the presence of a manned research station at the south pole would suggest this over your theory of it being at the edge.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
Antarctica exists in much the same way as in RET. It is a continent, just like the others. The actual ice wall or rim continent may be well beyond the reach of the sun's rays.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Fred

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
Antarctica exists in much the same way as in RET. It is a continent, just like the others. The actual ice wall or rim continent may be well beyond the reach of the sun's rays.
The sun can't shine more than a few thousand miles? What prevents it from doing so?

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
The sun can't shine more than a few thousand miles? What prevents it from doing so?
I'm guessing that it is not strong enough.

?

Fred

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
I'm guessing you're all idiots.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »

Cut out the low-content posting or face a suspension.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

OmgHAI

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
closed minded much? If you are just going to name call and whine about how abserd everything seems to you, then why are you here?
<3 <3 <3
You ravers are not nearly as awesome as you think you are.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »

It can shine farther through space. Just not to far through our atmosphere

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »

ah sorry who told you that? Antarctica is rich is minerals and oil. we can easily mine there but there is an international treaty preventing anyone form doing so.

?

Fred

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:31 PM »
If it only shines straight down, what gives you any clue as to what it might do if pointed elsewhere?

Here's my basic complaint against all this: Every single answer you guys give implies that we know little more now than was known 3,000 years ago. You poo-poo any and all science that demonstrates your error, yet you refuse to produce any proof through your own investigation.

To me, there are just three possibilities for your position:
1. You live some Amish-like existence that prevents you from seeking scientific knowledge.
2. You are dumber than sawdust.
3. You are all frauds and are just yanking everyone's chain for your own amusement (which I'd be okay with).

Whichever it is, you're at least providing some entertainment for the rest of the world.

?

Fred

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
Antarctica is rich is minerals and oil. we can easily mine there but there is an international treaty preventing anyone form doing so.
It's part of the conspiracy, of course.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
If it only shines straight down, what gives you any clue as to what it might do if pointed elsewhere?

Here's my basic complaint against all this: Every single answer you guys give implies that we know little more now than was known 3,000 years ago. You poo-poo any and all science that demonstrates your error, yet you refuse to produce any proof through your own investigation.

To me, there are just three possibilities for your position:
1. You live some Amish-like existence that prevents you from seeking scientific knowledge.
2. You are dumber than sawdust.
3. You are all frauds and are just yanking everyone's chain for your own amusement (which I'd be okay with).

Whichever it is, you're at least providing some entertainment for the rest of the world.

so your saying that the light cannot be tested from on top of a moutian verses the bottom.

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »

ah sorry who told you that? Antarctica is rich is minerals and oil. we can easily mine there but there is an international treaty preventing anyone form doing so.

Why do you think that the worlds governments would not want people working there?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

Like I said, We can't mine or drill resources in the Antarctic.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
There's a difference between can't, as in "not supposed to" and can't, as in "physically not able to".
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
There's a difference between can't, as in "not supposed to" and can't, as in "physically not able to".
Obviously.  Your point?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 04:57:09 PM »
Obviously.  Your point?
Just a point of clarification. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »

we can, we just dont. if your saying we dont because we cant then your wrong. if your saying that we dont because we want to save the penguins then your right.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »
Hey now, let's not get all Parsifal over this.

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »

i can call the wambulance for him if you like? hahahah

ZOOM!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:22:34 PM by Jack »

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
I think you should put that pic up every time Parsifal posts.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

i can call the wambulance for him if you like? hahahah

ZOOM!!!!!!!

Stop with this low content or off topic posting in the upper forums or you will face a suspension.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »

we can, we just dont. if your saying we dont because we cant then your wrong. if your saying that we dont because we want to save the penguins then your right.
We can't because there are treaties in place stopping us.

It has nothing to do with "saving penguins."