Washington Irving

• 6 Replies
?

Fred

Washington Irving
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
Read a book by James Loewen titled "Lies my teacher told me." Actually, you only need to read a few pages regarding Washington Irving, the author or Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Irving wrote a book in 1828 titled "The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus." In this book, Irving, which was largely written as a joke, indicated that Columbus set out to prove the world was round. This is utter nonsense. No one at the time or any time previous actually believed the world was flat. Nonetheless, Irving's work of fiction was regarded as truth by some, and somehow made its way into school history books.

I recall in the 6th grade seeing a drawing in my social studies book depicting Columbus sitting on the shore, watching ships come over the horizon, and determining for himself that the earth had to be round. He therefore set out to sail around it to prove his theory. If you ask any grammar or high schooler, you'll likely get a similar answer to the question as to why Columbus sailed in 1492. This is rubbish.

So, you all owe your silly flat-earth beliefs to a work of fiction written by Washington Irving. Ironically, Irving even admitted at the time that it was a joke, but many took it seriously anyway, just as you do now.

the true measure of maturity is the ability to comprehend the discomfort of another.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: Washington Irving
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:40:37 AM »
You're suggesting that FET originated with Washington Irving?

?

Fred

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
I'm saying that if Washington Irving had not written his fictional account of Columbus, there would never had been any traction for the flat-earth nonsense.

Isn't it odd that you don't even know the source of your misinformation?
the true measure of maturity is the ability to comprehend the discomfort of another.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
No, the history of FET goes back a lot farther than Columbus.

?

Fred

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
Okay. Tell me about it. I'd love to know the actually historical account.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
The Earth was commonly believed to be flat for the first few centuries B.C.  Even after Aristotle challenged that idea, several noted philosophers, such as Anaximander, Lucretius, and Democritus still disagreed with him.  The believers within this society, for the most part, base their theory off of the work of Samuel B. Rowbotham.

By the way, I do understand what you're referring to-the commonly held misconception that people in the Middle Ages believed the earth to be flat-but that is irrelevant to this society's foundations and beliefs.

?

Fred

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »
The Earth was commonly believed to be flat for the first few centuries B.C.  Even after Aristotle challenged that idea, several noted philosophers, such as Anaximander, Lucretius, and Democritus still disagreed with him.  The believers within this society, for the most part, base their theory off of the work of Samuel B. Rowbotham.

By the way, I do understand what you're referring to-the commonly held misconception that people in the Middle Ages believed the earth to be flat-but that is irrelevant to this society's foundations and beliefs.
It would be far more convincing if your beliefs were based on verifiable science. Also, I met with considerable resistance when I suggested your society conduct experiments with independent third party observers and present you results in an established and reputable manner.

One thing that I've found as a weakness is that you refer to your position as a theory. Additionally, what was Rowbotham's qualifications? Scientists do not theorize that the earth is round or that gravity exists. They have scientifically proven it for thousands of years. There is simply no evidence to support your theory, and if there is, you have done nothing to bring it forward.