Hitchhickers guide book six.

• 6 Replies
Hitchhickers guide book six.
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:45 PM »
Has any one actually read it yet. If yes what did they think about it.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
Re: Hitchhickers guide book six.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:47:58 AM »
Moved to Art & Lit.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
I've heard an abridged version on Radio 4, it was pretty good, at least as good as 3 + 4 and better than 5.

Eoin Colfer has kept the atmosphere and surrealism of the original books and the plot could easily have rolled off the fingers of Douglas Adams.

I'll reserve a full review until I read the whole book but it's looking very good.

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
I'm currently on the fifth one, it is the most difficult one to get through. I read the other four over the course of two weeks, and this one is taking me about 5 months and I'm still not halfway done. I just can't get myself to pick it up and read it.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
I don't think I've read it. I did have a volume with many of them in one binding. I noticed that I would just open and read randomly everytime i picked it up. It didn't seem to matter where I picked up. Reading at random places didn't seem to miss much of the back story. The books seem more about the now than what happened in the past.
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
I just decided to buy it and read it. I just finished. It didn't seem as good as any of the other books with a exception of the 5th one. It seemed to me that Douglas straddled the line between sanity and insanity while this book seemed to jump back and forth over the line. I liked it but it was distracting having it change back and fourth. One last note I liked the things they used in the hitchhikers guild to the galaxy 1-5 more then the sixth one. things such as the improbability drive that sounded completely ridiculous until you thought about it and then it made it seem that there was actually a small possibility that it could work. unlike most science fiction books where the closer you look at the logic the less sense it made. this book seemed to lack that charicteristic. most of the interesting items made no logical sense no mater how much you look into it.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
I typically don't read continuations made by other authors. I guess I will check this out, but I probably won't like it. It's the same with the Godfather. Some shitty author made a horrible sequel and ruined the whole story.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0