I'm sending out press releases on Monday. Any suggestions?

• 102 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: I'm sending out press releases on Monday. Any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
I just sent out about 40 press releases to a wide variety of media outlets.  That means I've got about 40 more to send before I can go eat dinner.  Fingers crossed!

Honestly, I'm really excited about this. Can't wait to see what comes of it.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
Let us know who is going to be doing stuff. A list of all that say they'll run a story, and if they tell you when let us know so we can be ready to watch/listen/read.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »
Ira Glass wants it NAO.

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
How about "The Onion"
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
How about "The Onion"

So that they can do a parody about people that actually believe the Earth is round? I think that's a bit incredible even for the onion. Sorry.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 06:09:11 AM »
I had a dream where we got an article in the news about TFES.

Too bad I don't get the newspaper though.

Maybe someone (Or rather, everyone) should post articles they stumble upon in a thread here? I'm sure I will.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
Dude this stuff is false

Thank you for such an intelligent contribution to this topic.  Please, don't hesitate to share more of your wisdom.

On topic, has any media outlet run a story on this?  It's been over a month.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
I'd try the national enquirer.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »
Are you sure these small newspapers are covering the possibility of a flat Earth? Or could they be printing articles with the subject of interest being that people actually believe this wacky theory? I only read one printed article about the flat Earth society and the article was mocking them, to the FE'ers delight as "No publicity is bad publicity." Which time and time again has proven false, just like many of the far stretched claims made by FE'ers.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Are you sure these small newspapers are covering the possibility of a flat Earth? Or could they be printing articles with the subject of interest being that people actually believe this wacky theory? I only read one printed article about the flat Earth society and the article was mocking them, to the FE'ers delight as "No publicity is bad publicity." Which time and time again has proven false, just like many of the far stretched claims made by FE'ers.

I don't know what small newspapers you're talking about, as I haven't seen any articles about the official FES being re-opened.  As for articles about this website, the most recent ones I've seen were from about a year or so ago, from the BBC and Fox News.  I wouldn't say that either version was "mocking" us.  Were they entirely fair, balanced, and impartial?  No, but none of us were really expecting anything much.  RET is obviously seen as scientific dogma today, so reporters are hardly going to be advocating FET.  Also, what do you mean when you say that our indifference to bad publicity "time and time again has proven false"?  We've endured literally hundreds of trolls over the past few years, and now we enjoy the confrontation.  Why should we be afraid of a journalist giving us a bad review?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
Any publicity is good publicity. We've stood up to digg, fark, 4chan, and every other troll gathering's invasions.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »
Try telling that platitude to Bernie Madoff.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »

Well, yeah.  We're referring to the FES when we talk about all publicity being good.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »

Some people need to learn to handle publicity. If OJ can write a book about killing his wife, you can spin anything into good publicity.

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

I don't know what small newspapers you're talking about, as I haven't seen any articles about the official FES being re-opened.  As for articles about this website, the most recent ones I've seen were from about a year or so ago, from the BBC and Fox News.  I wouldn't say that either version was "mocking" us.  Were they entirely fair, balanced, and impartial?  No, but none of us were really expecting anything much.  RET is obviously seen as scientific dogma today, so reporters are hardly going to be advocating FET.  Also, what do you mean when you say that our indifference to bad publicity "time and time again has proven false"?  We've endured literally hundreds of trolls over the past few years, and now we enjoy the confrontation.  Why should we be afraid of a journalist giving us a bad review?

Nobody should respect Fox news, not even on this subject. In fact if Fox news was against this theory I may convert.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »

Nobody should respect Fox news, not even on this subject. In fact if Fox news was against this theory I may convert.

Well, it was mostly a rehashing of the BBC's take on us, which had been published a few weeks earlier.

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »

Well, it was mostly a rehashing of the BBC's take on us, which had been published a few weeks earlier.

Well I respect the BBC. That makes the media influence neutral. I revert back to my original opinion.

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:39 AM »
Any publicity is good publicity. We've stood up to digg, fark, 4chan, and every other troll gathering's invasions.

*mental image of trolls invading an infested troll den*

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 04:30:01 AM »

We battled them and won teh interwebs!!11!

Something tells me if 4chan really wanted to make a serious effort to troll this site, you would have some issues.
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »

*mental image of trolls invading an infested troll den*

Yeah, the results weren't exactly spectacular.

Something tells me if 4chan really wanted to make a serious effort to troll this site, you would have some issues.

Maybe, but they'd need a good reason to invade this site in the first place.  4chan is always wary of calls to invade message boards, because in most cases the OP has a personal vendetta against the site and just wants a personal army to take revenge with.  /b/ is usually driven by the prospect of lulz, not by the blind rage of spotting ignorance (allegedly) on the Internet.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »

Probably wouldn't be much worse than fark. At the time that site was huge and we had thousands of people invading.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »

Probably wouldn't be much worse than fark. At the time that site was huge and we had thousands of people invading.

From what I've seen, there are more Fark readers but they're far less likely to be malicious.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »
Dear science, failchan wouldn't attempt to, or be able to, do anything to this site.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
VGA to TV doesn't usually work out very well.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
I was contacted by a columnist from the Times a couple weeks ago.  He asked me for my feelings about 1) a comment made by Gordon Brown comparing climate-change-deniers to Flat Earthers and 2) global warming in general.  I wrote him back and.. it's in the paper today!  Or at least the online version of the paper.  I haven't had a chance to grab a copy of the printed version today but I assume it's in there as well.  Anyway, here's the relevant section:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/article6968450.ece

Gordon clings on to his antiquated beliefs

You?d think Gordon Brown would be buttering up every supporter he could get at the moment. So why does he carelessly toss away the flat earth vote?

Earlier this month the prime minister dismissed sceptics of climate change as "flat-earthers". Now the president of the Flat Earth Society has revealed that he accepts mankind has changed the climate of this great flat world of ours. "There seems to be a definite correlation between the recent increase in worldwide temperatures and man's entry into the industrial age," said Daniel Shenton. "If it's a coincidence, it's quite a remarkable one."

He is sanguine about Brown?s contempt. "It's unfortunate that flat earth theory is what some people choose to reference when they need an example of something absurd," he sighed.

And a flat earth actually sounds quite plausible compared with some crackpot theories. Gordon, for example, argues that he will win the next election.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:12:08 AM by Daniel »

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
I love the last line. I laughed for a while after reading it.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »
I had a look in todays Sunday Times, but we have the Irish version (which is almost identical but different in certain bits), so the 'Atticus' section is by a different writer, hence that particualr article doesn't appear to be in there. But as far as I can tell, it should be in the UK version. Get hold of a Sunday Times Daniel!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:54:10 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
Nice.

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 09:01:28 AM »
Are you guys interested in spreading the message in Europe?
Maybe I can help.
"... therefore, Earth must be flat"

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »
We're listening.