What are you reading?

• 1059 Replies

Guessed

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »
Just started " I Drink For A Reason" by David Cross, haven't stopped laughing since.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »
Just finished Spindrift by Allen Steele

A very slow-burning book to begin with, I had to force myself to pick it up through the first 50-100 pages then it seriously picked up, in the end I found myself sneaking reads in work.

I now have a choice between Arthur C Clark and Stephen Baxter's Time's eye, Paul McAuley's Fairyland and The stupidest angel: A heartwarming tale of Christmas terror by Christopher Moore.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
Moominpappa At Sea  :D

Soon to be followed by Snobs's Island by Henrik Tikkanen
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

Just finished The stupidest angel: A heartwarming tale of Christmas terror by Christopher Moore.

It's one of CM's better books (up there with a dirty job) let down only by it's ending.

Can't decide between McAulley or Clarke's book next...

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:42 AM »
Just finished Timbuktu by Paul Auster. I'm now reading Two Treatises on Government by John Locke.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:53 AM »
Dnal Rorrim, by me. In 8th grade. Well, started in 8th grade. It needs to be rewritten. Dammit, I don't feel like rewriting yet.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »
Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2009, 05:26:48 AM »
I just read a hundred pages of Songs Of Susannah last night. I was shocked. I just ogt a reading lamp for my bed, and i sat down and started reading, and next thing i know its 11 and i burned through about 100 pages. I was proud of myself.

Also, im very upset that i know this stupid twist... and im very upset that the book is going the way it is.

i want to finish it so i can start

The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2009, 05:29:03 AM »
David Mitchell's Number9Dream.   This is my third Mitchell book in a row, and it's amazing how they're all somehow linked. Often subtly, but always linked, even though they're set hundreds of years apart from eachother and in different parts of the world.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2009, 06:55:37 AM »
David Mitchell's Number9Dream.   This is my third Mitchell book in a row, and it's amazing how they're all somehow linked. Often subtly, but always linked, even though they're set hundreds of years apart from eachother and in different parts of the world.

Is there a guy named Cid in each one?!

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
Emotions Revealed by Paul Ekman. I'm quite excited.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »

EVEN BETTER!

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »

EVEN BETTER!

I always thought that Final Fantasy games were like Quantum Leap. Cid is in every single one, always playing a different role, and usually always 'tied' to an airship.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

EVEN BETTER!

I always thought that Final Fantasy games were like Quantum Leap. Cid is in every single one, always playing a different role, and usually always 'tied' to an airship.
Then isnt he playing a similar role?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2009, 07:38:43 AM »

EVEN BETTER!

In IX, he's not even human!  :o

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »

EVEN BETTER!

I guess that would make sense, no? Why did I not think of saying it that way.

I think IX was my favorite Cid, and favorite FF, but despite being an Oglop and king, he still has an airship!

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
I just read a hundred pages of Songs Of Susannah last night. I was shocked. I just ogt a reading lamp for my bed, and i sat down and started reading, and next thing i know its 11 and i burned through about 100 pages. I was proud of myself.

Books 6 and 7 are a bit of a slog, but I'm glad I finished them. And I didn't think the ending was as bad as everyone else did.

I just finished Under The Dome a couple days ago. Not King's best novel but generally solid. He managed to avoid his patented great-premise-stupid-ending formula.

I think I'm going to read The Road or Blood Meridian next. I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy before and people keep telling me how great he is.   

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »

Books 6 and 7 are a bit of a slog, but I'm glad I finished them. And I didn't think the ending was as bad as everyone else did.

I just finished Under The Dome a couple days ago. Not King's best novel but generally solid. He managed to avoid his patented great-premise-stupid-ending formula.

I think I'm going to read The Road or Blood Meridian next. I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy before and people keep telling me how great he is.   
hehe. Slog. Cute.

Yeah... THe last chapters in 6 were kinda bad... and i heard terrible things about 7. But i wil finish it, so i can read the Graphic Novels of Dark Tower. i am reading Cycle of the Werewolf... and my goodness is it dull.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »

Both are excellent. I'm actually using Blood Meridian in my final year project for college. Astounding imagery.

Right now I'm reading A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Winter is coming!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man.

I have that but I haven't read it
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
The Illearth War.

Dunno who its by because I just started reading it, but its part 2 of the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever trilogy (?, again). I have part 3, but I cannot find part 1 anywhere.

The cool thing is, there's a huge recap of the first book in the first chapter (And a recap chapter before that) so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much but the juice.

It's pretty good so far and I'm not even to the part where Covenant goes to this magical land where his leprosy is cured and he doesn't believe in anything there.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
Shawshank Redemption the movie > the book er... short story.

And yes, i heard Morgan Freeman the entire time i was reading it. I love is voice. I wanna kiss him

Now i am going to attempt to read a grown-em-up book

Steven Pinker
Blank Slate - The Modern Denial Of Human Nature

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
The Illearth War.

Dunno who its by because I just started reading it, but its part 2 of the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever trilogy (?, again). I have part 3, but I cannot find part 1 anywhere.

The cool thing is, there's a huge recap of the first book in the first chapter (And a recap chapter before that) so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much but the juice.

It's pretty good so far and I'm not even to the part where Covenant goes to this magical land where his leprosy is cured and he doesn't believe in anything there.

I loved those books when I was in high school! Kinda depressing now, though. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

SupahLovah

• Santasaurus Rex!
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
I'm reading Catch-22, The Collector, and a few Kurt Vonnegut books.
"Study Gravitation; It's a field with a lot of potential!"

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:03 AM »
Much Ado About Nothing
Think hard. Think Flat.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
Shawshank Redemption the movie > the book er... short story.

And yes, i heard Morgan Freeman the entire time i was reading it. I love is voice. I wanna kiss him

Now i am going to attempt to read a grown-em-up book

Steven Pinker
Blank Slate - The Modern Denial Of Human Nature
I quit trying to read this, as my head is not ready for it yet.

I switched to A Philosophy for Dummies
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:26:30 AM by theonlydann »

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
Much Ado About Nothing
Have you read Not Much Ado About Nothing?

Don't.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
I might just watch the movie then.
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2010, 03:18:09 AM »
I might just watch the movie then.

Not Much Happens.

Ghostwritten - David Mitchell
This was his first book, and I've now nearly completed reading them in reverse order.

Der Herr Der Ringe: Die Gefaehrten - J.R.R. Tolkien (translated by Wolfgang Krege)

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:25 AM »
Just gave up on Fairyland by Paul McAuley, the constant leap forwards by ten-twenty years are completely disconnecting.

Now reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.