What are you reading?

• 1059 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
What are you reading?
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »
Fairly straightforward! I've just finished The Final Bet by Abdelilah Hamdouchi, and I'm now reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I'm also reading Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes in the background.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Proleg

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »
The Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
1984 By George Orwell, then I plan to read a few Discworld books.

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »
Drood, by Dan Simmons

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
I just did Walden and I was satisfied with it.
Think hard. Think Flat.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:22:34 AM »
I've met Margaret Atwood.

Pretentious twit. Ever seen an 'artiste-as-presented-by-fiction'?

Yeah, that's her. Incredibly self-involved. And that's just too much time not devoted to my own true self for any real enjoyment, so **** her, the dozy ****.

Seriously, though, she's something Tom Clancy would invent to degrade the left by example.

Anyways, right now I'm reading: a Patrick O'Brian (The Nutmeg of Consolation, no less, which has to be on the top 10 titles of all time), John Elting's 'Swords Around a Throne, Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book, some Plutarch and I've a Wodehouse stashed in the washroom for empty moments.) Edit: Also just started Death Comes As Epiphany, by Sharan Newman, but it's touch and go whether I'll keep going with it.

I'm going through the Flashman series again, and just finished Flashman For Freedom, which is my least fave of the series, but still gold.

Yes, I am that guy. I know, I know, but seriously, I am nice in real life.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:45:16 AM by Robert Palmer »
"The only thing more pathetic than someone who needs to validate his thoughts by quoting someone else is someone who needs to validate himself by quoting his own."

-Robert Palmer

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
I'm somewhere in the middle of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, by H.P. Lovecraft. But I think I may have to start over from the beginning of it. I kinda stopped reading maybe a year ago, but I've been thinking about taking it up again, and start off with The Case of Charles Dexter Ward because I never got around to finish it.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:18:16 AM »
Just finished Pursuit of Honor by Vince Flynn, and I'm on The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
The Lost Fleet: Relentless by Jack Cambell. Not reading anything else because all the series I read don't come out with a new book for a couple of months.  :'(
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
Fragile Things and The Graveyard Book, both by Neil Gaiman.

Also I'm once again reading through the Death Note manga.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (a bit)
The Motorcycle Diaries (a bit)

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

In what way?
"The only thing more pathetic than someone who needs to validate his thoughts by quoting someone else is someone who needs to validate himself by quoting his own."

-Robert Palmer

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Faust - Von Goethe
The Twelve Caesars - Suetonius
Inferno - Dante
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzsche

And for light reading I recently finished The Road and Lolita, I may pick up The Greatest Show on Earth to replace them after I become a Friend and get a T-shirt.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:09:15 PM »
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzsche

Ah, BG&E, it's been a while.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
I recently finished Counting Heads by David Marusek. I need to get my hands on the next book, and I attempted to read The Space Opera Renaissance but it was much too thick to finish in the librarys one week checkout time.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

In what way?

I enjoyed reading it. He is quirky, articulate about complex things, and first hand account a period of history. The style of writing was friendly and he has a particular way with words and made me feel like I was wrapped up in a blanket on a brisk fall day. It was easy to read but endlessly complex.
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »

In what way?

I enjoyed reading it. He is quirky, articulate about complex things, and first hand account a period of history. The style of writing was friendly and he has a particular way with words and made me feel like I was wrapped up in a blanket on a brisk fall day. It was easy to read but endlessly complex.

Ok.

If you ever decide to move to Alaska and live in an old bus in the woods, let me know/take pics!

-Robert Palmer

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
I just finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Great book if you want to learn about the culinary world.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »
I finished The Blind Assassin, and I also read Double Blank by Yasmina Khadra. I'm now reading H.D.'s The Gift.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler   

Great pulp crime fiction although I enjoy the earlier novels/novellas more.  And someone has dragged off my Dashiell Hammett anthology without my permission.  >:(      (or I have misshelved it)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »
I've finished The Gift, and I'm now reading The Attack by Yasmina Khadra.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Eoin Colfer's And another thing...

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way!

I love Bruce, and finally got my hands on this book.  He writes how he talks.  I love it.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »

I love Eoin Colfer. I really like the Artemis Fowl series, despite them being for young teenagers. He has a wonderful writing style and is genuinely original.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »

I love Eoin Colfer. I really like the Artemis Fowl series, despite them being for young teenagers. He has a wonderful writing style and is genuinely original.

Never read any of his work up until And another thing... and I have to say it's miles ahead of Douglas Adams' last one Mostly Harmless. The only thing I would say for book 7 of 3 is to cut down on the guide notes a bit

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
Foundation and Empire.

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »

Never read any of his work up until And another thing... and I have to say it's miles ahead of Douglas Adams' last one Mostly Harmless. The only thing I would say for book 7 of 3 is to cut down on the guide notes a bit
I liked it but I thought it was a little to linear for a hitchhikers guide book.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 02:18:10 AM »
Foundation and Empire.

Though a classic example of Globularist fantasy literature, the Foundation series is a great read.

I've finished The Attack, and I'm now reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.