What are you reading?

• 1059 Replies

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #960 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »
The Truth: Not quite a standout of the series, but enjoyable all the same.  I especially liked how the printing press was given a "normal" origin, instead of some kind of supernatural element that they'd have to get rid of by the end of the book, like in Moving Pictures and Soul Music.  And it made for a funny joke when Vetinari started asking about dimensional portals.  The main thing that I didn't like was that the villains' plan was all too familiar - some important high-society people don't like Vetinari being in power, so they're going to oust him, blah blah blah.  Come on, Pratchett, you've obviously got a lot of creativity.  Give your villains a new scheme every once in a while.  Like the way you do with, say, the Auditors of Reality.  Speaking of which -

Thief of Time: In a word, magnificent.  No nitpicks.  It's that good.  The only interesting observation I can make is that this was the only Death novel where Death himself didn't completely steal the show.  And that's not a criticism of Death in this book, but a reflection of how awesome the History Monks were.  I agree with Chris - this is easily one of the best of the series.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:38:56 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #961 on: November 21, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »
Well, I'm in the middle of Witches Abroad right now, and I have to say, I think Saddam's criticism is valid in the case of the Witches' line of books, to the point that I'm convinced that the writers of Shrek took notes from this book (for example, their idea of a despot running a Magic Kingdom where everyone is always happy or else is one of the major themes of this book).  To make matters worse, Pratchett is even treading ground he himself has already trod, given that the first book already satirized travel and tourism, which is a major theme of this one as well.  I'm enjoying it, because there are always laughs to be found in a Discworld novel, but this one just feels particularly tired.

On the other hand, I loved Wyrd Sisters, largely because I love Shakespeare, who is heavily lampooned in that one, I guess.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #962 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
Someone is reading my rambling reviews!  Hooray!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #963 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
I am finally reading God Emperor of Dune.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #964 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
YAY! You might hate it, though. Lots of people don't care for that one, and tbh the first time I read it I was a bit meh about it, but now it is one of my favorites.

I haven't read anything since The Diamond Age, because I got really terribly sick and haven't felt like concentrating on a book. I think I should go back and reread the last 100 pages or so, because I was in a cold medicine haze when I first read them.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

glokta

« Reply #965 on: February 15, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »
currently reading Ship Of Magic the first of the Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb - fantastic epic fantasy by far my favourite author. Highly recommend this and the first Farseer trilogy.
Quote from: sceptimatic
Use your brain. There is no sun in space. You are simply duped.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #966 on: February 24, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
Currently reading my way through the Jack Reacher series. Enjoying it greatly so far, he's such a regular guy who just keeps getting thrown into bad spots.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #967 on: March 28, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #968 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
I've been rereading Ulysses.  As I expected it's much easier going the second time around, but my schedule is still making it take me a long time to finish it.

I've given up on Finnegan's Wake.  I've decided it's just Joyce's huge cosmic prank and I've fallen for it as much as I care to.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #969 on: March 29, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
YAY! You might hate it, though. Lots of people don't care for that one, and tbh the first time I read it I was a bit meh about it, but now it is one of my favorites.

I haven't read anything since The Diamond Age, because I got really terribly sick and haven't felt like concentrating on a book. I think I should go back and reread the last 100 pages or so, because I was in a cold medicine haze when I first read them.

As much as I love The Diamond Age, like the other Stephenson books I've read, it somehow ends poorly (IMO). So if you didn't like the last 100 pages, it may just be because they're a bit unsatisfactory - that's definitely how I felt about it, and Snow Crash, too. But despite the weakish finnish, I love The Diamond Age - it's just such an amazing mix, and Nell is the best.

I've given up on Finnegan's Wake.  I've decided it's just Joyce's huge cosmic prank and I've fallen for it as much as I care to.

I like to think of it more as a cosmic indulgence. Like, if you read good companion material, you start to realise just how deep and stupid the puns and wordplay go. But ultimately it's still just really artsy puns and wordplay...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:25:41 PM by Lord Wilmore »
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #970 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
I like to think of it more as a cosmic indulgence. Like, if you read good companion material, you start to realise just how deep and stupid the puns and wordplay go. But ultimately it's still just really artsy puns and wordplay...

I've thought about delving into some of that stuff and might still at some time in the future, but I don't have enough interest right now.  Good for him for having the clout to be able to not only publish something so self-indulgent but also find a willing audience for it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #971 on: March 30, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
I loved The Diamond Age, but I still haven't gone back and reread the last part of it. I was thinking I'd let some time pass and then go back and reread the whole thing. I really loved the idea of the primer, wish I'd had one growing up!

I loved The Sprawl trilogy too, I love cyberpunk in general. I don't know what else to read in that genre now. I think I've read all the most popular ones. Charles Stross, Neil Stephenson, William Gibson - who else writes well in that genre?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #972 on: March 30, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
I loved The Diamond Age, but I still haven't gone back and reread the last part of it. I was thinking I'd let some time pass and then go back and reread the whole thing. I really loved the idea of the primer, wish I'd had one growing up!

I loved The Sprawl trilogy too, I love cyberpunk in general. I don't know what else to read in that genre now. I think I've read all the most popular ones. Charles Stross, Neil Stephenson, William Gibson - who else writes well in that genre?

I'm quite a fan of some of Bruce Sterling's stuff - Bicycle Repairman is a great short story to start with if you can get hold of it. Holy Fire is my favourite of his novels, and in terms of characters and writing is easily the best - it's a really interesting take on youth, ageing, and the cultural implications of the average lifespan being extended. It is remarkably prophetic in terms of its themes. I also really enjoyed Distraction, though it's not for everyone.

Sterling isn't the world's greatest fiction writer, but his prose is serviceable and he has a wonderful imagination (though I should add here that Holy Fire is actually just plain good, and doesn't deserve those qualifiers). Honestly, I almost prefer his non-fiction writing and commentary (see the Virdian Design movement this speech is well worth a read, if you ask me, though there's a bit of a ramble about tea kettles in the middle).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:05:05 PM by Lord Wilmore »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #973 on: April 15, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevesky.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #974 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Loved it.  I want to see a movie made out of it, set in modern times, with Jim Carrey in the main role.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #975 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »

Loved it.  I want to see a movie made out of it, set in modern times, with Jim Carrey in the main role.

Yeah, it was bonkers, but great. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_(2013_film)

Anyway, finished that, and I'm now reading The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje.

« Reply #976 on: May 02, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices by Jack Maguire

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #977 on: May 02, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

Yeah, it was bonkers, but great. Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_(2013_film)

Wow, how about that.  Something to watch out for, I guess.  I still say Jim Carrey would have been the perfect fit for that role (roles).

« Reply #978 on: May 10, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #979 on: May 10, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
Flatland is awesome.  It really gets your brain thinking, even though it is well over a hundred years old. 

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #980 on: June 08, 2014, 06:21:19 AM »
The Stuff of Thought, Steve Pinker
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #981 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
I just downloaded The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow and Charlie Stross. I hope it's good!

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #982 on: August 21, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
Flatland is awesome.  It really gets your brain thinking, even though it is well over a hundred years old.

May I recommend The Planiverse, a newer book inspired by Flatland.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #983 on: August 21, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Just started "Flat Earth - the history of an infamous idea". It's pretty good so far.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #984 on: March 17, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
I've been searching on a few websites to see if someone....anyone....has ever read or even heard of this book. :

"Sherlock Holmes In Dallas", by "Edmund Aubrey"

No luck so far.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #985 on: March 18, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
Just started "Flat Earth - the history of an infamous idea". It's pretty good so far.

I read "Flat Earth" a few months ago.If you just started.  It's worth reading all of  the rest. ;D

I have come to the conclusion that my "Sherlock Holmes In Dallas " book must have been read by only a few buyers (readers)  but quite a few professional critics....At least according to the author. I'm still looking for any ordinary readers who might have been attracted by the title.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #986 on: June 13, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (HPMOR)
Full Text
Audiobook

It is amazing fanfiction in which multiple characters are brilliant. Applying rationality and cunning stratagem to the supernatural, the book takes on many of the same qualities as Death Note.

Spells are often secretly optimized by the most intelligent wizards using rational inquiry to the true nature of said spells. The explanations actually make sense and are completely consistent with what is canon to the official series.

Ex. Harry attempts to use a time turner to break all forms of encryption. (Any problem that is easy to check but hard to solve.) He tries using a search algorithm to leave his previous self a note with a testable solution written on it. He hypothesizes that the only stable time loop would be the one where he sends himself the correct answer. If you want to know the results to this experiment, read the book.  :)

Harry is first introduced to magic:
Quote from: HPMOR excerpt from Chapter 2
Harry was breathing in short gasps. His voice came out choked. "You can't DO that!"

"It's only a Transfiguration," said Professor McGonagall. "An Animagus transformation, to be exact."

"You turned into a cat! A SMALL cat! You violated Conservation of Energy! That's not just an arbitrary rule, it's implied by the form of the quantum Hamiltonian! Rejecting it destroys unitarity and then you get FTL signalling! And cats are COMPLICATED! A human mind can't just visualise a whole cat's anatomy and, and all the cat biochemistry, and what about the neurology? How can you go on thinking using a cat-sized brain?"

Professor McGonagall's lips were twitching upward harder now. "Magic."
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

WakeTheSheeple

• I Love serving children food
« Reply #987 on: January 08, 2016, 06:10:35 AM »
The dank meme bible  :P
Wake up
Dry Lasagna Issa Sin

Xenos2112

• Heaven cannot brook two suns nor earth two masters
« Reply #988 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
Gardens of the Moon, first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. 

To anyone who will take my advice:  Treat yourself to Gardens of the Moon.  It's one of the finest fantasy books ever written, with all the brutality and intrigue of George Arg Arg Martin, Character Development of Jordan, and World-Building of Tolkien or Lewis.

No, he is not a better story teller than Tolkien, Lewis, or Jordan.  They are the gods, above us, looking down on our meager mortal attempts to write, but hoping their works inspire and guide us--each in different ways.

They are the true masters of the craft--each in their own area, to be sure.

Regards,
~Xenos, Who Sometimes Writes His Own Stories (badly)
There is nothing impossible to him who will try.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Alexander III of Macedon, Emperor of the Known World, 336-323 BC

UltimateTemplar

• The Earth is a giant disco party. :D
« Reply #989 on: February 23, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »
Just finished Jasper Jones, by Craig Silvey. Some really intense stuff.

Meh. I would recommend Frankenstein for any English Lit fan. Not the first edition, but the second edition.
All of us light up a room - me when I enter, you when you leave.