What are you reading?

• 1040 Replies

Supertails

• what do i put here
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #930 on: October 22, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
I read "Sociolinguistics: An Introduction to Language and Society (Fourth Edition)" by Peter Trudgill because why not and I find the subject interesting. It was quite interesting. :]

Other than that, I am reading the Bible on the side. Currently up to Genesis 24.
Recently listened to:

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
  • It went wherever I did go.
« Reply #931 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »
Sociolinguistics is basically the world's most interesting topic.

Although I would say that I guess
I spent all of 5 minutes learning about bloody gods just before the exam and its bloody qeistions on fox hunting and abortions.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #932 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:24 AM »
Because you just love the pidgin languages, o u
Recently listened to:

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #933 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
Because you just love the pidgin languages, o u

Hey, have you ever seen this? http://www.pidginbible.org/Concindex.html  It's the Hawaiian Pidgin Bible. It's really interesting.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Junker

« Reply #934 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
Other than that, I am reading the Bible on the side. Currently up to Genesis 24.

You'll be to Exodus in no time, that is when shit gets real.  At least until the end of that book when you hit several chapters only describing the Ark of the Covenant in excruciating detail.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #935 on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Revelation is batshit crazy.

Junker

« Reply #936 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

No one wants any of that New Testament hippie crap.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #937 on: October 23, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Anyway, I would like to interrupt you snobs (nobs?) to announce that I read Maskerade and Feet of Clay.  They were gud.

« Reply #938 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

No one wants any of that New Testament hippie crap.

Stylized ethnocentric propaganda riddled epics and pun poems > folk stories and poor commentaries on the role of  Philo and Plato in a Jewish soaked worldview.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #939 on: October 25, 2013, 01:05:02 AM »

You'll be to Exodus in no time, that is when shit gets real.  At least until the end of that book when you hit several chapters only describing the Ark of the Covenant in excruciating detail.

It's when it melts the Nazis faces that it gets the most exciting.

Or that may be in the Bible's extended universe...

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »
I decided to read Good Omens again, before getting into The Diamond Age. I love Good Omens.

I watched Cloud Atlas last night, and now I'm dying to read the book.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #941 on: October 31, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
Anas Nin - A Spy in the House of Love

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #942 on: October 31, 2013, 07:58:14 PM »
I'm rereading Guards! Guards! right now.  I love the running gag about the figgins.  I was reminded of how irritated I was that the back of the book spoiled a significant plot point that doesn't happen until very late.

I finished Dorian Gray, of course.  Wow, did that get dark in a hurry.

I also started reading The Red Badge of Courage, which I would by all rights be finished except that I left my Kindle in a place that circumstances are preventing me from being able to get to right now.  Another nice light-hearted read.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #943 on: October 31, 2013, 08:22:16 PM »
I'm rereading Guards! Guards! right now.  I love the running gag about the figgins.  I was reminded of how irritated I was that the back of the book spoiled a significant plot point that doesn't happen until very late.

That annoyed me too.  And there are a few other books in the series that have spoilers in their descriptions as well.  It's not how you describe a book!  Give us the basic premise, not a summary of the plot!

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #944 on: November 02, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »
William Faulkner -  Sanctuary / Requiem for a Nun

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #945 on: November 03, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Moar Discword:

Hogfather: A true Christmas classic.  Death was great, as he always is, and I liked that despite all the making fun of Christmas and its traditions, it still kept a positive view of it overall.  The only criticism I have is that the running gag of beings coming into existence whenever people suggest it was funny at first, but it got old really fast.  The "hangover god" in particular was terrible, just terrible.  And what, he's not just a god, he's an "oh god"?  Ugh.

Jingo: Another solid read.  Perhaps a bit heavy-handed with the message about racism, but I don't know if it could have been done more subtly.  To make another minor criticism for the sake of nitpicking, though, I wish that Carrot's character was explored in a different way.  I've been noticing this for the past few Watch novels - it's really just other characters talking or thinking about him, basically telling the reader what he's like, rather than actually showing us.  It seems like Pratchett does it on purpose, but I don't get it.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #946 on: November 07, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »
Out shopping today, picked up the following:

Laurence Sterne - The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces
William Faulkner - Intruder in the Dust

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #947 on: November 07, 2013, 06:47:38 AM »
No, Crudblud.  Read Discworld.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #948 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »
No, Crudblud.  Read Discworld.
I read the Death trilogy many years ago, and enjoyed them all but felt Soul Music was a weak "finale." I have Night Watch and The Colour of Magic on my list of things to read.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #949 on: November 07, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
There are more than three Death novels.  Behold:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

There's Hogfather.  And there's also Thief of Time, but it looks like that one only has a minor connection.  I haven't read it yet, so I can't judge.  Anyway, you should read them all.  Go on a marathon, like me.  So far, my library has them all, so it hasn't cost me a cent.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #950 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
There are more than three Death novels.  Behold:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

There's Hogfather.  And there's also Thief of Time, but it looks like that one only has a minor connection.  I haven't read it yet, so I can't judge.  Anyway, you should read them all.  Go on a marathon, like me.  So far, my library has them all, so it hasn't cost me a cent.

Theif of Time is one of may favourite discworlds and easily the best 'new' Discworld.

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
  • It went wherever I did go.
« Reply #951 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
A friend gave me a copy of Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum by Heinrich Bll which I will start ASAP.
I spent all of 5 minutes learning about bloody gods just before the exam and its bloody qeistions on fox hunting and abortions.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #952 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
This thread is about Discworld.

Speaking of which, I finished The Last Continent.  This one had some really funny moments, but right around the midway point, a lot of the humor started to wear thin and just become repetitive.  The Senior Wrangler's weird obsession with Mrs. Whitlow, for example - it was funny at first, sure.  But it's rehashed about a hundred more times, with no real twists or different takes on it.  It's not funny anymore!  Compare that with, say, whenever Ponder discusses one of his theories with Ridcully.  Those scenes are always good, because they're always a bit different.  Even though the basic formula is the same, the subject of their discussion is always different, and Ridcully always uses a different brand of idiot logic to poke holes in the theory.

Not much to say about Rincewind's storyline.  It was fun, had some good laughs, some good parodies of Australian culture - yeah, that's about it.  Rincewind novels are never particularly ambitious, so it's hard to really be disappointed by one.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #953 on: November 09, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »
I finally finished Uncle Tom's Cabin and am now working on Peter Pan.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #954 on: November 12, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »
Wilmore, are you enjoying Anathem? I read Snow Crash not long ago and loved it. I've got a few Stephenson novels but I don't know which one to read next.

Sorry for the late reply. Anathem is good, but not great. Like, it's definitely not bad, and it's full of interesting ideas, but the characters just weren't that great. Certainly a drop in quality from Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, which I am fairly confident you will love - it's really, really good. Read it!

I finished Anathem, which was kind of huge and slow going, and then read A Room With a View by E.M. Forster. I'm now reading Dracula by Stoker. Spoiler: Count Vampire is a Dracula.

I am reading The Diamond Age now. I think it will be one of my favorite books EVAR! I like it more than Snow Crash. I've been reading about Neal Stephenson's other books and it looks like  there aren't anymore in the same style, although Readme might be similar.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #955 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
Thomas Pynchon - Mason & Dixon

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #956 on: November 12, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Speaking of Discworld, I have finished Small Gods and Lords and Ladies.  Both were quite good.
Discworld is a great series. Although I haven't read anything out of it published in the last five years (Since Thud!), I have read everything before that point. Has anyone read any of the newer titles? I'm curious if I can expect more of the same.

Oh and per the thread, I'm reading The Essential Tao and reviewing Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea. As its mostly a refresher, tomorrow I'll likely start up with The Emperors New Mind.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:28:12 PM by John Davis »
Quantum Ab Hoc

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #957 on: November 13, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
And now I have finished Carpe Jugulum and The Fifth Elephant.  More gud.  I guess the witches plotline is all done now.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #958 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Okay, that's not really good enough.  I shall go into a bit more detail about the books I didn't really review properly, plotline by plotline (according to that reading order guide):

Witches: I wasn't a big fan of the first three novels in the series, as I briefly mentioned earlier.  I'm not entirely sure why.  Maybe it was just that the plots weren't all that great to me, and they were very predictable.  Parodying fairy tales and traditional stories has been done to death over the years, what with movies like Shrek and The Princess Bride.  Those jokes may have been new when Pratchett first wrote them, but they weren't by the time I read them.  Fortunately, the series dramatically improved with Lords and Ladies.  All of a sudden, it was a lot darker, the stories were a lot better, and I was really invested.  I guess you could say that I preferred the witches when they were more serious.

Ancient Civilizations: Not much to say here.  I liked them both, but I guess that Pyramids wasn't all that great.  It started out well, but it kind of dragged after a while.  Also, the villain was boring and his immortality was weird.  Small Gods was better, but this one started out slowly and only got really good right around the halfway mark.  The ending was one of the best of the series, and I really liked the villain.

Watch: I kind of skipped over what I thought of Feet of Clay.  I actually thought it was the weakest of the Watch plotline, at least so far.  It had its good points, but the overall mystery was kind of weak, and it had a fairly predictable payoff.  Also, Carrot was at his worst here, or at least how Pratchett's weird method of explaining his character went.  It was all character shilling!  No, don't bother showing us what he's like, just have all the other characters keep on oohing and aahing over how absolutely wonderful and fantastic he is!  It's not incredibly annoying Mary Sue bullshit at all!  BAAAWWWWW!!!!  But that was toned down a bit in the later books, which I appreciated.  Anyway, The Fifth Elephant.  The title and description were misleading, but the mystery was great, and seeing Uberwald was cool.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:27:28 PM by Saddam Hussein »

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #959 on: November 15, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
Today I bought:

Hermann Hesse - The Glass Bead Game
Hector Berlioz - Memoirs
Don DeLillo - Underworld