What are you reading?

• 1040 Replies
?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Foundation and Empire.

Though a classic example of Globularist fantasy literature, the Foundation series is a great read.

::) Yeah. Don't let your mask slip Willy.

I have yet to read the passage where Asimov makes any kind of announcement about the shape of the Earth. Maybe it's because it was written before NASA started filling our heads with lies for profit.  :'(

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »
The bits with space travel, planets and a spiral shaped galaxy all contradict FET. He's a great writer; I'm just pointing out that it's based on globu-science. That said, the Foundation series is better than the Robot series, in my opinion.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »

I liked it but I thought it was a little to linear for a hitchhikers guide book.

Yeah, perhaps.

Guessed

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 12:40:27 PM »
The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
By: Sister Miriam Joseph, C.S.C, P.H.D

It sounds dry as hell, but if you have a fascination with language and linguistics, like I do, it's incredibly informative.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way!

I love Bruce, and finally got my hands on this book.  He writes how he talks.  I love it.

Spent the day in bed and finished reading this.  It was pretty funny.  I recommend it to anyone who has a sense of humor.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:12 AM »
The bits with space travel, planets and a spiral shaped galaxy all contradict FET. He's a great writer; I'm just pointing out that it's based on globu-science.

Umm no. Firstly space travel is entirely possible in the flat earth model. Secondly, it is a work of fiction. Regardless of your beliefs of the shape of the earth it is still possible to imagine that such travel can take place.

*sigh* Enough derailing a good thread. If you have a point to make I suggest you create a thread titled "Lies and Misconceptions: How Round Earth Theory Took Over The Bookshelves"

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 05:59:58 AM »
Rereading the Scarlet Letter. i adore the writing style.
 i'm trying to get my hands on a novel called lovely bones.
i heard it was equally delectable. anyone know of a good read they can recommend? no nonfiction s'il te pla?t. 

Guessed

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »
Rereading the Scarlet Letter. i adore the writing style.
 i'm trying to get my hands on a novel called lovely bones.
i heard it was equally delectable. anyone know of a good read they can recommend? no nonfiction s'il te pla?t. 

A Confederacy of Dunces, By John Kennedy Toole. If you appreciate unique writing styles and dry humour, this is an excellent read.
Is Dino open source?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »
Just finished And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. Taken on it's own I'd give it a 4/5 Good story, good humour and warm characters, I'd just criticise too many flow-breaking guide notes.

Taking it as book 6 of H2G2 I'd give it 3.5/5, it's at least as good as Mostly Harmless but not as original as the first books.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
Didn't everyone die at the end of the Hitchhiker series?

Anyway, I'm reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel for the second time.  Although this:

I must say, sounds interesting.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass, As Written by Himself

Pretty good actually.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »
I've finished Fingersmith, and I'm now reading Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Guessed

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
Didn't everyone die at the end of the Hitchhiker series?

Anyway, I'm reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel for the second time.  Although this:

I must say, sounds interesting.

It truly is the most helpful book I've ever read. I'm a bit of a linguistics nerd though.

Is Dino open source?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 05:49:33 AM »
So Long and Thanks for all the Fish had my favorite lines in it.  The part about 3/4 through with the lines about swinging a cat about the bathroom made me laugh so fucking hard, I had to put the book down before I could keep reading.

I picked up Good Omens again and am trying to read.  It's so funny, but I often have a hard time reading.  Especially with how shitty I've been feeling.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:18 AM »
I've finished Wyrd Sisters, and I'm now reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 04:22:06 AM »
I need a new book, or I'm going to end up reading Mr B Gone again, for like the fifth time.

Any suggestions?

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Guessed

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
I need a new book, or I'm going to end up reading Mr B Gone again, for like the fifth time.

Any suggestions?

Hey Nostradamus! By Douglas Coupland. It's about a high school shooting, and it's one of my favourites.
Is Dino open source?

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
There Are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
Aristotle's Physics translated by Joe Sachs
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 09:04:45 AM »
James Peterson's Sauces

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
  • It went wherever I did go.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
About to start Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. Cloud Atlas was so awesome that I needed another book by him. To buy it I used a 5 pound voucher that I awarded by being the worst in a class, but that's another story.
I spent all of 5 minutes learning about bloody gods just before the exam and its bloody qeistions on fox hunting and abortions.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2009, 02:21:07 PM »
I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man.

Love that book, it was my first Discworld.

The scene where Death desperately tries to pick a name is one of my all-time favourite Discworld scenes.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
"What every Body is saying" by Joe Navarro. Its written by an ex-FBI agent and its all about body language and how to interpret it. I'm excited, should be coming in tomorrow.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
Just finished Eisenhower, A Soldier's Life by Carlo D'Este,  Eisenhower's life up to the end of WW II, very informative especially the squabbles amongst the Allies.  Now I've picked up The Seekers by Daniel Boorstin which was a gift but has been hanging around unread for a few years.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
I've finished Leviathan and Blood Meridian. I'm now reading Baruch Spinoza's Ethics.

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Just finished Eisenhower, A Soldier's Life by Carlo D'Este,  Eisenhower's life up to the end of WW II, very informative especially the squabbles amongst the Allies.  Now I've picked up The Seekers by Daniel Boorstin which was a gift but has been hanging around unread for a few years.

If you liked that one, I read one a few years ago for my WWII class called: Ike's Spies that was pretty good. It probably wasn't as much about Ike as it was the OSS and how he used them and they then became CIA, but it was still pretty good.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
I always like spy stories.  I'll look for it.  :)

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
I always like spy stories.  I'll look for it.  :)

Yeah, it talks about all the crap the Allies were able to pull back in the day. We were so much ballsier back then, now we wouldn't dare do half the shit they talk about in that book.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »
I've finished The Seekers. I didn't enjoy it as well as the other two in the trilogy, The Discoverers and The Creators. I've dug out yet another unread volume, Ted Morgan's Wilderness At Dawn and trust that I'll get through it before the holidays overwhelm all my free time.