this is bordering on abuse...

  • 16 Replies
  • 3364 Views
this is bordering on abuse...
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »
whenever you don't get some person who believes the earth is flat to answer your posts, you cry ignorant and pathetic. they're moronic and dumb and can't prove their point at all cause they don't answer you....um...I don't know how it was from start, of course, and I won't say anyone's wrong or right, I personally believe the earth is round and won't easily be convinsed otherwise, I believe the case is the same for those who believe the earth is in fact flat O.o

do you call a person who believes in god but doesn't know how to explain why the river like images on Mars isn't explained in the Genesis moronic? even if he'll be backed up by loads upon loads of people who also believe in god?

There are so many things people believe but can't prove for every sceptic who may ask. they may not be right, but it doesn't make them moronic or ignorant.

this forum is called the Flat Earth Society but seeing the threads here, it looks more like a The Anti Flat Earth Society Believer Bullying Central. is it just me or is that wrong? this is their forum, it was probably started as a place for them to discuss things, through discussing one can come up with hypotheses that can later be attempted proven. But there's little room for that here now. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them decided to start a secret forum some other place where they are in fact able to speak their mind without being crushed like a bug under a fat lady's stiletto heel. and that's a figure of speech, not calling anyone here a fat lady's stilletto heel -.- that would be just...wrong.

if I believed the world was flat, I wouldn't exactly speak my mind here, I would try finding some place less infested with people who would attemt to crush me, I would definately not concider joining.

I tend to believe there's good in people, and I believe in justice, so please, take the good in you and see the fact that maybe, just maybe, they don't avoid answering you cause they're too stupid, maybe, just maybe, they don't answer cause they're tired of you, and that it is justified. I doubt they will be easily convinced they are wrong, and...who cares? I certainly don't care what they think or believe, all I care about is the fact that they aren't really welcome here anymore, it seems. On their own forums

Thanks for your time if you read that through.  :shock:
ill a cloned baby grown in a laboratory have a belly button?

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »
I have to say, I sincerely appreciate the understanding you're showing.  And while for the most part I think we can handle the onslaught fairly well, it can get tiresome after a while.

On an unrelated topic, I'm sorry but even cloned babies have to grow in wombs.  It really is a shame, because making people without belly-buttons would have to be one of the greatest achievements of modern science ever.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:46:23 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
I have to say, I sincerely appreciate the understanding you're showing.  And while for the most part I think we can handle the onslaught fairly well, it can get tiresome after a while.


They come and go as waves do.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »
But then what would teenage girls get pierced?


Ahem. Back ot, I sort of agree. I haven't been around here long, but I'm about to jump sides, simply for the sake of argument. The way people come here lamely hurling insults and repearting the same questions ad nauseum, as if that's the great key to debate, is incredibly annoying and unproductive. Sometimes (too often), the FE'ers seem much more reasonable and well-spoken than the RE'ers.

Regardless of the nonsense they spout, at least it's well-thought out nonsense that they seem to believe and have supported through some mental process (no matter how dubious).
'm not a flat earther. I just play one on TV.

Re: this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 06:50:01 PM »
Quote from: "toodles miss noodles"
whenever you don't get some person who believes the earth is flat to answer your posts, you cry ignorant and pathetic. they're moronic and dumb and can't prove their point at all cause they don't answer you....um...I don't know how it was from start, of course, and I won't say anyone's wrong or right, I personally believe the earth is round and won't easily be convinsed otherwise, I believe the case is the same for those who believe the earth is in fact flat O.o

do you call a person who believes in god but doesn't know how to explain why the river like images on Mars isn't explained in the Genesis moronic? even if he'll be backed up by loads upon loads of people who also believe in god?

There are so many things people believe but can't prove for every sceptic who may ask. they may not be right, but it doesn't make them moronic or ignorant.

this forum is called the Flat Earth Society but seeing the threads here, it looks more like a The Anti Flat Earth Society Believer Bullying Central. is it just me or is that wrong? this is their forum, it was probably started as a place for them to discuss things, through discussing one can come up with hypotheses that can later be attempted proven. But there's little room for that here now. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them decided to start a secret forum some other place where they are in fact able to speak their mind without being crushed like a bug under a fat lady's stiletto heel. and that's a figure of speech, not calling anyone here a fat lady's stilletto heel -.- that would be just...wrong.

if I believed the world was flat, I wouldn't exactly speak my mind here, I would try finding some place less infested with people who would attemt to crush me, I would definately not concider joining.

I tend to believe there's good in people, and I believe in justice, so please, take the good in you and see the fact that maybe, just maybe, they don't avoid answering you cause they're too stupid, maybe, just maybe, they don't answer cause they're tired of you, and that it is justified. I doubt they will be easily convinced they are wrong, and...who cares? I certainly don't care what they think or believe, all I care about is the fact that they aren't really welcome here anymore, it seems. On their own forums

Thanks for your time if you read that through.  :shock:


Noones asking you to stay :roll:
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]


LOL

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 06:50:33 PM »
Quote from: "jitterbug"
But then what would teenage girls get pierced?


Ahem. Back ot, I sort of agree. I haven't been around here long, but I'm about to jump sides, simply for the sake of argument. The way people come here lamely hurling insults and repearting the same questions ad nauseum, as if that's the great key to debate, is incredibly annoying and unproductive. Sometimes (too often), the FE'ers seem much more reasonable and well-spoken than the RE'ers.

Regardless of the nonsense they spout, at least it's well-thought out nonsense that they seem to believe and have supported through some mental process (no matter how dubious).

Same here... I'd like to hear other's thoughts on a few subjects before I jump over and try to come up with explanations of my own...

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
I believe TheEngineer had a similar experience.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

?

Erasmus

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4242
Re: this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"
Noones asking you to stay :roll:


It's rare you get to see your points so quickly proven.

Toodles miss noodles, if you'd fancy it, I'd like you to stay.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 06:54:15 PM »
Well actually I think Yardstick2006 is the only person to stick with the FE attacks.

I've got to say, that takes some dedication.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 06:56:21 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Toodles miss noodles, if you'd fancy it, I'd like you to stay.


:lol: That's an awful name. I just thought you were saying farewell to Miss Noodles, until I remembered that was part of their moniker.
'm not a flat earther. I just play one on TV.

?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 06:57:17 PM »
Quote
I believe TheEngineer had a similar experience.

That's basically everyone's experience.  And I mean everyone.  If you see anyone arguing FE that isn't Chal, Dionysios, bullhorn or Dogplatter, they've had this experience.

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »
The experience is basically taking a sledgehammer to your preconceived notions.  The difference is how people react.  Some react far more violently if they have taken everything about, for instance, the shape of the Earth as round for granted than someone who is more open minded and prefers experiments over the taken-for-granted information.

Although I reiterate:  I believe the shape of the Earth is inconsequential.  We are on the world of man, of language, creativity, and abstract thought.  The shape of this land is the boundaries of what we can do with our intelligence.

Whether I may take to either model of the Earth; well, its going to be like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
the reason we hate theese people is because they make websites accusing millions of scientists and meteorologists liars and trying to press bullshit on the world.

If you cant prove anything, then dont make a site that depresses half the people that see it.

Sure they can belive in something that just hasnt been proven yet, but in this case, theyre just being so stubborn when it has already been proven the other way millions of times over.
quote]Angry Ranting
If you're planning on posting a message insulting us but don't want to bother with any thought or content, please do it in here.[/quote] Ah the Irony

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:04 PM »
Quote from: "Ervin"
the reason we hate theese people is because they make websites accusing millions of scientists and meteorologists liars and trying to press bullshit on the world.

If you cant prove anything, then dont make a site that depresses half the people that see it.

Sure they can belive in something that just hasnt been proven yet, but in this case, theyre just being so stubborn when it has already been proven the other way millions of times over.


The good thing is, no one forces anyone to come here.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »
thank you for proving my point, all of you, both the one who asked me to leave and the rest.  this thread turned into one of the more leveled and actually discussing threads I've seen so far on this forum ( Which I just found, as you will have guessed)   :D  and that's you guys's doing.

the very thing that makes belief what it is is the ability to believe even if the proof is limited and you are faced with challenges, the fact that you can trust yourself and what you believe in enough to walk through it. Everyone has a right to believe what he does, and practice that belief as long as it doesn't harm others. One of the few beliefs thast you see harming others, are those who believe it's their right to step on others for believing something else.

You don't have to have a doctorate in science or religion to believe, and it is unfair  to demand that of anyone. Besides, isn't part of the belief that the earth is really flat, that the limitations in proof is due to this being kept a secret? I can't exactly go out in my garden and prove the earth's roundness either, I simply put my trust in other sources than an FE'er.  :wink:

oh and Miss Noodles was my hampster
 :cry:
ill a cloned baby grown in a laboratory have a belly button?

?

6strings

  • The Elder Ones
  • 689
this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »
Quote
this thread turned into one of the more leveled and actually discussing threads I've seen so far on this forum

Sad, isn't it?

Quote
the very thing that makes belief what it is is the ability to believe even if the proof is limited and you are faced with challenges, the fact that you can trust yourself and what you believe in enough to walk through it. Everyone has a right to believe what he does, and practice that belief as long as it doesn't harm others. One of the few beliefs thast you see harming others, are those who believe it's their right to step on others for believing something else.

You don't have to have a doctorate in science or religion to believe, and it is unfair to demand that of anyone. Besides, isn't part of the belief that the earth is really flat, that the limitations in proof is due to this being kept a secret? I can't exactly go out in my garden and prove the earth's roundness either, I simply put my trust in other sources than an FE'er. :Wink:

While this isn't my typical view, at least you're a whole lot more understanding than 99% of the people who show up on these forums; much appreciated.

Oh, and I appologize for your loss.

Here's to hoping you stick around.

this is bordering on abuse...
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »
I'd like to, since this is a forum where people actually answer (even if some claim othervise  :wink: )

If someone managed to prove that God does not exist, would that person be met with absolute trust? No. Would you demand your grandmother or aunt, or best friend, stop believing? I sincerely hope not, cause that would be stepping on their toes. Even if they were, in ways, stepping on the toes of the scientist who discovered this. There's a difference between hinting or explaining the new theory to your grandmother, and actually demanding her to stop believing, telling her that she's a moron for thinking that a scientist can be wrong. A forum needs shades and colour, but not bullying and hatred. that's my view anyways   :oops:
ill a cloned baby grown in a laboratory have a belly button?