Ok, the new site is LIVE! And t-shirts preorders have begun!

• 177 Replies

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
Re: Ok, the new site is LIVE! And t-shirts preorders have begun!
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, Daniel, are you by any chance related to the late, great Samuel Shenton?

I asked a while ago, no response.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
I'm skating on thin cash reserves right now, waiting until the end of November for payroll to dish out the dosh again. I missed the October deadline, so I'll be getting two months pay in one go then. When that happens, you have my money.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:39 AM »
Would it be possible to put both T-shirt and FotFE through as one order? It'd save both parties some hassle.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
Would it? It seems to me it'd be a lot easier to make two different paypal payments.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
Update about stuff:

T-shirts: We've hit the necessary minimum number of t-shirt orders, so they're definitely happening.  So if you've been waiting to see if other people would order.. you're a coward.  But you're a coward who can safely order now with the knowledge that it's a sure thing.

Memberships: We're up to about 20 now.  Not bad for less than a week!  I spent about 2 1/2 hours this evening casting pewter medallions.  00001-00030 are done now!

Flat Earth freebies: I also made some FES cloth patches.  I'll include a couple with anything I send out.  I'm also getting some FES postcards printed.. and designing a tiny little assemble-it-yourself Flat Earth desk globe sort of similar to this.  It's much smaller, though -- the 'globe' part will be about 4cm in diameter -- and either made from transparent, coloured acrylic or from very thin plywood.  Or maybe a combination.  And the map will be etched into the material rather than printed onto paper and glued on.  I'll post pictures of those when I make a prototype tomorrow (hopefully).  In the meantime, here's a picture of the patch (sorry about the image quality, it was taken with my phone):

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
Cool, great news! Freebies are always good news =)

Also, I have to say, it's a shame we can't get some sort of FE Globe/Plane paperweight made. It would probably prove awkward to do, but it would be very cool.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
Hooray for all of this!
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Taters343

• Official Member
  • Pope/Tater/Robot with flower girl capabilities!
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
And Hooray for Daniel as well!

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
Daniel, you are win.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »
I'll order a shirt soon then! After this weekend, probably Monday or Tuesday.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
Just a quick update..

I've cast medallions 00001-00030.  At first, I thought it was going to take forever because half of them didn't cast properly and I was having to re-cast them pretty frequently.  But after a little experimenting, I worked out a reliable method and then it went by pretty quickly.  After the first 3-4 were finished, I think I only had one dud that I had to re-cast out of the following 20+.  Here's all of them in a pile:

I also made a little acrylic Flat Earth 'globe' that I'm quite pleased with.  It's a flat-pack system that can be assembled without any glue.  The three pieces just slot together.  I'm going to run a batch of those sometime this week so I can send them out with the membership medallions/certificates.  And I'll send them with the t-shirts in a couple weeks when they ship..

And here's a better image of the patch from a couple days ago..

Postcards and other things are in the works too.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »
AWESOME
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Taters343

• Official Member
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
That is awesome Daniel. I already told my mum that she is going to have to put the patch on my fencing jacket for me.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
I'd like to know more about the technique used for casting the medallions.

I've been thinking of ways to display mine. Has to be something that befits its importance.

Taters343

• Official Member
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a small glass box that has a little stand in it that will prop the coin up at an angle. I'll probably end up using a case that my watch came in and some sort of makeshift stand.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »
I like that idea a lot.  I've seen some nice stands made to display antique pocket watches.  Thanks.  :)

Taters343

• Official Member

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2009, 09:05:39 AM »
Make it into a necklace!

Taters343

• Official Member
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »
Make it into a necklace!

You'd have to drill a hole or something, and that would be blasphemy.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
I'm sure there's some cool coin display stuff out there that would be perfect. A quick google brought this up:

http://www.usadisplay.net/911display.htm

Obviously that might be a bit much, but still, there are loads of simpler, cheaper alteratives out there.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
I was thinking I'd just glue it to my forehead

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »
I'd have it sewed under the skin of my back so if I get shot in the chest my heart might stop the bullet before it hits the coin.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 10:47:35 AM »
Imma be one FES geared up SOB.

Next, winter Knit caps.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »

I've been thinking of ways to display mine. Has to be something that befits its importance.

I'll post some pictures next time I cast a batch of the medallions.  In the mean time, I've made some little medallion stands.  Like the Flat Earth 'globes', they're flat-pack and just need to be slotted together.  Their flatness means I won't have to pay for any extra shipping! :)  These pictures are from my phone so the quality isn't great.. but you'll get the idea, I'm sure:

This isn't to say that you shouldn't surgically implant them behind your heart, though.  But when you want to show it off to your friends without getting blood everywhere, the stand could be a temporary solution.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
Seriously Daniel, how do you do all this stuff? I'm starting to think you're a man of many hidden talents!

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »

I'll post some pictures next time I cast a batch of the medallions.  In the mean time, I've made some little medallion stands.  Like the Flat Earth 'globes', they're flat-pack and just need to be slotted together.  Their flatness means I won't have to pay for any extra shipping! :)  These pictures are from my phone so the quality isn't great.. but you'll get the idea, I'm sure:

This isn't to say that you shouldn't surgically implant them behind your heart, though.  But when you want to show it off to your friends without getting blood everywhere, the stand could be a temporary solution.

The marks will be embossed on my back, and there's no reason to think that I couldn't cram the stand in there too, I've got room.

Taters343

• Official Member
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »
That is amazing Daniel. If you lived closer to me I would give you a hug.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
I might actually buy one of the shirts for a gag gift/white elephant gift exchange.... hmmm. I always do find the best stuff for those gift exchanges. Last time it was a copy of Suetonius' De Vita Caesarum. The girl who picked that present just about started crying when she saw she'd gotten a book by an ancient Roman biographer. The idiot child, Suetonius is a really fun read. Thankfully, a more intelligent person stole it from her, and she got to open another present and got something that better suited her air-headed, vacuous nature.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2009, 09:49:33 AM »
I might actually buy one of the shirts for a gag gift/white elephant gift exchange.... hmmm. I always do find the best stuff for those gift exchanges. Last time it was a copy of Suetonius' De Vita Caesarum. The girl who picked that present just about started crying when she saw she'd gotten a book by an ancient Roman biographer. The idiot child, Suetonius is a really fun read. Thankfully, a more intelligent person stole it from her, and she got to open another present and got something that better suited her air-headed, vacuous nature.

Unless the entire text was in the original Latin the Latin title is a little pretentious.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2009, 06:53:05 AM »
Just a quick warning: I'm sending the t-shirt print job to the printer tomorrow morning.  If anyone wants a t-shirt and hasn't already ordered one, now would be the time!

T-shirts can be ordered here