This isn't a theory, it's a religion.

• 13 Replies
?

Morality

This isn't a theory, it's a religion.
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
:-\

First off. FET is not a theory, it is a religion. You guys practice it with a frantic attitude, trying to 'convert' people into your point of view. This is not a proper scientific fact. You are basing you're 'theory' around the fact that the Earth is flat, and going outward. You need to collect evidence first proving, definitely, that the earth is flat, and then start a theory.

You're following it blindly. It's all tinged with a huge amount of 'CONSPIRACY THEORIEZ' craziness. You're not accepting FET as a theory, you're accepting it as a pure fact that MUST be true and everyone else's view is wrong.

Also, I have a question: Satellites. When rockets are sent (into the atmo, according to you), where do they come down? Considering they're up their for a very long time. In fact, we (supposedly) have objects in permanent orbit. Like the Space Station. I'd like to know how FET explains that.

Re: This isn't a theory, it's a religion.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »
Nah...  I've never seen any FE'ers trying to convert anyone.  They only come back at what RE'ers say.  In fact, it's more like RE'ers try to convert FE'ers.

However, it is (IMO) more of a hypothesis more than a theory, simply because of the amount of falsifiable evidence for it.
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
Also, I have a question: Satellites. When rockets are sent (into the atmo, according to you), where do they come down? Considering they're up their for a very long time. In fact, we (supposedly) have objects in permanent orbit. Like the Space Station. I'd like to know how FET explains that.

You'll mostly get a lot of nonsense when it comes to satellites from FE'ers if anything at all.  It all stems from the argument: "If you can't fly me up to space and put a satellite, that is in orbit, directly in front of my face then there is no way you can prove conclusively that they exist".

I posted a thread in my field of expertise (aerial and satellite image analysis) that gives some pretty rock solid evidence that satellites exist and is easily verifiable with a little effort. 

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=33585.0

I've gotten hardly any response from any FE'ers and my thread was magically moved from the 'debate/discussion' forum to the 'general discussion' forum without any redirect link and several posts were deleted.   It just goes to show you where they're at. 
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

?

Proleg

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »
You're not accepting FET as a theory, you're accepting it as a pure fact that MUST be true and everyone else's view is wrong.
Not anymore than people who accept evolution these days. After a point, there is so much evidence for a theory that it comes to be accepted as fact

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
You're not accepting FET as a theory, you're accepting it as a pure fact that MUST be true and everyone else's view is wrong.
Not anymore than people who accept evolution these days. After a point, there is so much evidence for a theory that it comes to be accepted as fact

Thats an interesting corollary you just drew there.  Are you suggesting that FET is on par with evolution as far as substantiation goes? 

?

Proleg

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »

Thats an interesting corollary you just drew there.  Are you suggesting that FET is on par with evolution as far as substantiation goes? 
I would not go that far. Evolution is not nearly as advanced as FET in such terms.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »

I would not go that far. Evolution is not nearly as advanced as FET in such terms.

Disregarding the fact that evolutionary principle is the basis for modern biology and all practices of modern medicine, of course. 

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
The point of my above statement being that evolution has had application in the real world that has surely personally effected everyone in this forum.  FET is more a large amount of conceptual posturing.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »

First off. FET is not a theory, it is a religion. You guys practice it with a frantic attitude, trying to 'convert' people into your point of view. This is not a proper scientific fact. You are basing you're 'theory' around the fact that the Earth is flat, and going outward. You need to collect evidence first proving, definitely, that the earth is flat, and then start a theory.

You're following it blindly. It's all tinged with a huge amount of 'CONSPIRACY THEORIEZ' craziness. You're not accepting FET as a theory, you're accepting it as a pure fact that MUST be true and everyone else's view is wrong.

I agree, the FET has the blind faith, nonsense science, baseless claims, unanswered debate-stoppers, unfounded anthropocentrism and biases of evidence common to all theologies. That fact that this is a near religion is probably why there is little listening to reason.
Why FE?
Because of some experiments done by a pseudo-scientist and published in a non-peer reviewed book with no result replication by other, more reputable, scientists. Also, why not FE?

It is illogical to base an opinion on simply on the fact that all counter-evidence can be refuted. Without positive evidence FOR a theory, the theory should not be viable.

Here is a stupid, nonsense theory with just as much supporting evidence (an just as much refuting evidence) as FE:

I could say that a great purple dragon called Bessie lives under the ground under the North Sea who speaks fluent German, owns a goldfish and enjoys the work of Ernest Hemingway. You can't detect her because she lives on a different plane of existence to us, she exists in some of the other 6 dimensions predicted by string theory and only her farts can pass into our 3 dimensions (note the pseudoscience).

OK, there is no way to prove that Bessie doesn't exist but do I have any evidence for my theory?
Yes, I do as a matter of fact. Bessie explains why there are natural gas in the North Sea. Her farts, because they are made of the elementary particle the Bessie's Boson, can travel between dimensions like a graviton. They fuse into ordinary matter which happens to be natural gas when they come into contact with anti-Bessie's Bosons which are present only in our 3 dimensions, and are universal like the Higg's Field.

Nonsense, isn't it? But like I say, it's just as viable and just as irrefutable as FET.

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
  • http://www.freewebs.com/raacoz/thesunhasnoheat.htm
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »

PICK UP A HAND FULL OF DRY SAND AND LET IT FALL TO  THE THE GROUND THROUGH YOUR FINGERS - YOU WILL SEE THAT NO PART OF THE EARTH MOVES BY ITSELF- IT HAS TO BE PUSHED- FLATNESS OF THE DESSERT IS FORMED BY WIND - SAND NEVER MOVES, IT JUST STAYS THERE, THEREFORE IT IS SOLID - ONE BIG FLAT SUPER ROCK. - A ROCK WITH MOUNTAINS IN IT, AND OCEANS AND RIVERS IN IT AND ON IT. WOULDN'T YOU RATHER GO CAMPING WITH ME RATHER THAN A MATHEMATICIAN?
Everything, is in EMBRYO, not in mathematics. 
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »

PICK UP A HAND FULL OF DRY SAND AND LET IT FALL TO  THE THE GROUND THROUGH YOUR FINGERS - YOU WILL SEE THAT NO PART OF THE EARTH MOVES BY ITSELF- IT HAS TO BE PUSHED- FLATNESS OF THE DESSERT IS FORMED BY WIND - SAND NEVER MOVES, IT JUST STAYS THERE, THEREFORE IT IS SOLID - ONE BIG FLAT SUPER ROCK. - A ROCK WITH MOUNTAINS IN IT, AND OCEANS AND RIVERS IN IT AND ON IT. WOULDN'T YOU RATHER GO CAMPING WITH ME RATHER THAN A MATHEMATICIAN?

This man does not represent us.

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
  • http://www.freewebs.com/raacoz/thesunhasnoheat.htm
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
NO SUCH THING AS A FLAT EARTH MATHEMATICIAN -
I GIVE YOU THE PLAESURE TO CHOOSE
Everything, is in EMBRYO, not in mathematics. 
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »
As someone pointed out earlier there is no one on this board that is going to try to convert you to the Flat earth way of thinking.

Either you believe or you don't.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 04:28:29 AM »
It's not a religion.   It is people who wonder about the motives and honesty of the people we consider to be authorities.  Scientism is a religion.
Ecclesiastes 2:15