Examples of Christianity being excelled by fear tactics

• 52 Replies
Examples of Christianity being excelled by fear tactics
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:54:12 AM »
Fear nothing but fear itself my ass.

^not my primary example of evidence, but you catch my drift.

There are numerous flaws within that video, but I won't get into that.

I just wanted to say this video was horrifying. Not because of the story, but because of the message that it presents. I have never been so offended in my life. Is this really what the majority of Christians truely believe and support?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Examples of Christianity being excelled by fear tactics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »
If you want sheep, play on emotion.
I'm not surprised at all.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
Soooooooo, Josh was writing the letter as the angles where physically throwing him into hell?  That's dedication.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »
My response:

Quote from: Masterchief2219, on YouTube
One time my dead Christian friend sent me a letter from Tartarus. Apparently Zeus was pretty pissed off that he was worshiping the false god, Jesus. True story.

Enjoy your stay in Tartarus, Christians.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »
Soooooooo, Josh was writing the letter as the angles where physically throwing him into hell?  That's dedication.

Reminds me of Monty Python:

King Arthur: [about the inscription on the rock] What does it say, Brother Maynard?

Brother Maynard: It reads, "Here may be found the last words of Joseph of Aramathia. He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the holy grail in the Castle of Aaauuuggghhh... ?

King Arthur: What?

Brother Maynard: "The Castle of Aaaauuuggghhhh"

Sir Bedevere: What is that?

Brother Maynard: He must have died while carving it.

King Arthur: Oh come on!

Brother Maynard: Well, that's what it says.

King Arthur: Look, if he was dying, he wouldn't have bothered to carve 'Aaaauuuggghhhh'. He'd just say it.

Sir Galahad: Maybe he was dictating it.

King Arthur: Oh shut up!

Typical psychological terrorism from the Christian side there. If you believe in that then why would you praise the monster who sent your best friend to eternal torment? The video lays the guilt heavily on the Christian, I say it should have laid it on God.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
I also hear a lot of Christians say that Hell does not exist, and that Hell is actually just death and nothingness. Yet the bible does mention a lake of fire, so I'm confused here.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
I also hear a lot of Christians say that Hell does not exist, and that Hell is actually just death and nothingness. Yet the bible does mention a lake of fire, so I'm confused here.
I believe that some christens think the lake of fire is where your soul is destroyed. not tortured.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

?

Proleg

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
This just makes me hate Christians even more; they're not being convincing enough to save my soul from eternal hellfire! Put a little more effort in, you bastards!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
Even disregarding the horrifying emotional blackmail that the clip presented, it delivered a "Pascal's Wager"-style message.  The only reason given to be a Christian is to escape hell.  Not one word is given as to the superior moral position of Christianity (pretty difficult to do in this context, I'll admit), it's just one giant threat: "Believe in God or burn in hell".

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
It's pretty interesting that Christianity had to come up with a threat to procreate like it did. Asatro never seemed to have had that, probably because the concept of disbelief was met with ridicule at the very best.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
Can I interrupt this circle jerk and ask what the fuck is up with the thread title?

And yes there are branches of christianity that no normal person would ever associate themselves with, the christian television station that plays at my gma's house sells giant survival kits because the "rapture is coming soon." They are charging huge prices for the gear because it is a "gift for your donation."

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
Shut up it was 2 am and I was very angry

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »

Again, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. So maybe it's not exactly a lake totally on fire...maybe it's more like Cleveland?
"The only thing more pathetic than someone who needs to validate his thoughts by quoting someone else is someone who needs to validate himself by quoting his own."

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

So you decide to rally people to your side with anger and outrage?

Sounds like an emotion.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »

Sounds like an emotion.

Is that what emotions sound like? I've always wondered.
"The only thing more pathetic than someone who needs to validate his thoughts by quoting someone else is someone who needs to validate himself by quoting his own."

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »

Sounds like an emotion.

When I come off as a humongous hypocrite I usually try to poke holes in something they said, not in figures of speech. Whatever floats your boat.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »

Sounds like an emotion.

When I come off as a humongous hypocrite I usually try to poke holes in something they said, not in figures of speech. Whatever floats your boat.

I'd never poke holes in a boat. That could be dangerous. Think of the children.

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »

Sounds like an emotion.

What?

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »

Sounds like an emotion.

What?

You said I poke holes in figures of speech, and followed it up with a figure of speech, namely 'whatever floats your boat'.

I merely extended your hypothesis to its logical conclusion, and objected.

Or something.

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 07:08:34 PM »
No.

That's the trouble with ontological discussions. It always comes down to a conflict between absolutists and HS existentialists. Well, that and all the Greek. Wise men speak when fools stop talking, I say, and **** Plato, too.

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
No.

That's the trouble with ontological discussions. It always comes down to a conflict between absolutists and HS existentialists. Well, that and all the Greek. Wise men speak when fools stop talking, I say, and **** Plato, too.

No.

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
No.

No.

Could go either way, really, but I admit I find your argument persuasive.

WAITWAITWAIT.

I just saw that you are female, and would like to change my vote to agreeing with whatever you said.

Do-over?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:25:37 PM by Robert Palmer »

-Robert Palmer

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
Raist, stop being rude to him.  For a noob, this guy is remarkably coherent and intelligent.  We should keep him.

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »
Raist, stop being rude to him.  For a noob, this guy is remarkably coherent and intelligent.  We should keep him.

I don't know what those big words mean, but I know art, or at least I know what I like, and I like you.

-Robert Palmer

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »

I don't know what those big words mean, but I know art, or at least I know what I like, and I like you.

He's a gay. Just smile, nod, and hold firmly onto the soap.

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »

He's a gay. Just smile, nod, and hold firmly onto the soap.

Cleanliness is next to godliness, bringing this whole discussion back to the the theological with a bang, if you'll forgive the double entendre.

-Robert Palmer

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »
fine but you need to feed him and clean up after him.

Second back on topic I tend to trust a religion that uses fear to get you to join it. it seems that a religion shouldn't need to use fear.

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

I object. I am house trained. Got the certificate and everything.

Second back on topic I tend to trust a religion that uses fear to get you to join it. it seems that a religion shouldn't need to use fear.

Examples of religions which don't use fear, being?

Sorry. I'm just sitting here watching thr wheels go round and round.

-Robert Palmer

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »

I object. I am house trained. Got the certificate and everything.

Examples of religions which don't use fear, being?

Sorry. I'm just sitting here watching thr wheels go round and round.
Religions that don't use fear. I am pretty sure that Buddhism, and Hinduism don't say you need to believe them to be rewarded in the next life. could be wrong I have just read the basics. of course Buddhisms view on the next life is a little weird. you don't really have a next life but you sort of do. if you want to research it yourself. it gives me a headache.