• 59 Replies

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Mathematics of the guards
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2006, 03:20:17 PM »
Quote from: "General Dallows"
Who said it had to be a flat-earther?

It could be someone who came to this site, or read something else about an ice wall, and decided to see for himself.

and if hardly enyone ever tries to get to the wall, why is security as tight as it is?

By now you've seen most of the critics who come to this site. Do they strike you as the sort of people willing to risk their lives (not in terms of conspiracy-death - Antarctic sailing is naturally dangerous anyway), and shell out a ton of money just to prove us wrong?

There are three major types of FE critic who come to this site. There are ones like yourself, who come and eloquently argue against FE Theory for idle intellectual stimulation (not as a matter of life or death). Then there are civil RE'ers who post one or two dismissive but polite posts and then leave, and finally there are trolls who spam General Discussion with Goaste, pictures of the Earth from space and badly-worded abuse.

Do any of these three strata strike you as the sort of person who would hire a boat capable of speedy Antarctic travel so they could investigate the validity of FE claims?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2006, 03:21:45 PM »
If I had infinite sums of money I'd do it. Unfortunately, if I came back with the proof that there was no ice wall, I wouldn't be believed by the FE'ers anyway, so it's rather futile
'm not a flat earther. I just play one on TV.

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "jitterbug"
If I had infinite sums of money I'd do it. Unfortunately, if I came back with the proof that there was no ice wall, I wouldn't be believed by the FE'ers anyway, so it's rather futile

FE'ers prefer classical methods of proof such as mathematical proofs.  Seeing isn't always believing.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2006, 03:24:47 PM »
Well, unfortunatly, I don't have a speedboat, nor am I anywhere near the wall.

also, it would be very possible, that a random person... maybe someone who hasn't even heard of the ice wall, to just go south, and come up on this wall. A guard opens fire on him, and he gets the hell out. Has someone done this? Maybe. If the wall exists.
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »

also, it would be very possible, that a random person... maybe someone who hasn't even heard of the ice wall, to just go south, and come up on this wall. A guard opens fire on him, and he gets the hell out. Has someone done this? Maybe. If the wall exists.

Would you believe this guy?  I wouldn't.  I'd say he was nuts.

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

I doubt the ice wall protocol is "fire at will on passing vessels". We know almost certainly that one can land on Antarctica's shore without being molested by the conspiracy - remember, the wall is massively thick in human terms, so I reckon leeway of several miles at least is allowed before any action is taken. If and when it is taken, I'd imagine it is more subtle than just "open fire".
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »
Well, what else could they possibly do?
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"
I would say 2608 guards spaced 30 miles apart would be able to take care of the few people who would even bother.

What happens if someone goes between two of those men? Somebody would have to travel 15 miles, through the snow, to get to them.

Besides, why would someone want that type of job? I would hope that it pays well, but then, upon what would you spend the money? There aren't any shops nearby. What about benefits? Vacation days? Does the Ice Wall Guard Cabal (IWGC) comply with OSHA standards?

And where do they find guys to do this type of job? Let's say I want to join the IWGC. Where do I sign up? Can I apply online?

I know I'm asking a lot, but you seem to be an expert on the subject. I have no doubt that I will be answered promptly.

Or perhaps he's part of the conspiracy.

(btw, you guys need this emoticon: What better to depict the shifty eyes of the ever-watchful government? ;) )
I think we need a guy-in-a-trenchcoat smiley

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »
Quote from: "The American Nightmare"

What happens if someone goes between two of those men? Somebody would have to travel 15 miles, through the snow, to get to them.

Besides, why would someone want that type of job? I would hope that it pays well, but then, upon what would you spend the money? There aren't any shops nearby. What about benefits? Vacation days? Does the Ice Wall Guard Cabal (IWGC) comply with OSHA standards?

And where do they find guys to do this type of job? Let's say I want to join the IWGC. Where do I sign up? Can I apply online?

I know I'm asking a lot, but you seem to be an expert on the subject. I have no doubt that I will be answered promptly.

How the hell would we know? Much as we're interested in the subject, the conspiracy is just that - an esoteric, underground organization hell-bent on not being discovered. It's not like they put out ads in the jobs section or anything.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 03:35:56 PM »
Well, what else could they possibly do?

Covertly mess with their equipment, scare them away somehow, sneak up and bludgeon or chloroform them - any number of things which are much less suspicious than bursts of gunfire.

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
How the hell would we know?
Case closed!

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »
Case closed!

That we can't blag the specifics doesn't negate the fact that we have well-grounded reasons to suspect the case in the first place. It's apparent that there is an ice wall, and since the establishment maintains that there is not, it follows that there is a conspiracy and probably some form of military ordinance to maintain the shroud of secrecy.

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 03:43:40 PM »
It's apparent that there is an ice wall
Wrong.

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »

They would have enough visibility (also taking into account the vast technology we have as far as radar) to discover anyone coming close enough.

Heh.  It would presumably be well-paid.  If there was some sort of system for it, I would imagine these people would be constantly rotated out under the impression that they were either training (learning to survive in intense conditions) or a number of other things.  They would probably not find any reason enough for even discussing it.  The people picked for such a duty would probably have no backgrounds related to eachother and have had no knowledge of any FE theory.  Finally, they'd probably be paid extremely well.

The people who are sent for this are probably selected from the armed forces of all countries.  Their backgrounds are cross-referenced and the probability of any of them meeting each other in the future would be next to nothing.  They would also select those, as said before, ignorant of the FE theory.  You probably can't sign up because you know too much! :wink:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I like thinking about things like this.  :roll:

A conspiracy theory is always fun imo.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »

If I went down to Antarctica today, explored the entire continent, took hundreds of photos (some with me in them), made a film of my entire visit there (with shots of me in it) including footage of the entire coast, and went around the world the other way, then procceeded to upload all this data onto this website, I'm sure all of you would claim it to be  "fake" so there really isn't much point.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2006, 08:51:41 PM »
Quote from: "Ubuntu"
That seems like an expensive effort for no apparent reason.

Not so expensive as a space program or an invasion of Iraq.  652 men with snowmobiles and a few helicopters?  Come now.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »
Another thing that REers seem to forget: one lone hiker finding the ice wall is not a problem.  What's he going to do, go back to the brainwashed masses and show them pictures of ice and tell them it's the only thing holding the oceans in on this flat Earth of ours? People would laugh and journalists would pass his report along to the Weekly World News.  That's assuming he even recognizes it as an ice wall, which is also assuming he survives the fairly difficult journey there and back.

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »
So is the hypothesis that if you walk through Antarctica you'll (if all security vanished for the sake of argument) come to a giant ice wall, or is it that Antartica doesn't exist at all and if you sail South you'll come to a 150 foot tall wall of ice?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2006, 10:17:57 PM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"
So is the hypothesis that if you walk through Antarctica you'll (if all security vanished for the sake of argument) come to a giant ice wall, or is it that Antartica doesn't exist at all and if you sail South you'll come to a 150 foot tall wall of ice?

Hiker/kayaker/whatever.  I think the theory postulates that there is no major above-sea-level landmass outside the non-Antarctic continents.

Before you get to the ice wall, there isn't just water -- there's ice on the sea as well, making passage difficult.  This has been reported by sailors in the southern seas.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2006, 11:03:17 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "EnCrypto"

Hiker/kayaker/whatever.  I think the theory postulates that there is no major above-sea-level landmass outside the non-Antarctic continents.

Before you get to the ice wall, there isn't just water -- there's ice on the sea as well, making passage difficult.  This has been reported by sailors in the southern seas.

Do you even believe what you're saying?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »

Do I believe that there's no major landmass where Antarctica is supposed to be?  I've never been there.

Do I believe that there's ice making seafaring difficult in the far southern latitudes?  That's what I've heard.  Seems consistent with the whole... cold thing.

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2006, 12:00:10 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Do I believe that there's no major landmass where Antarctica is supposed to be?  I've never been there.

I know people who have been there.

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 02:07:31 AM »

How the hell would we know? Much as we're interested in the subject, the conspiracy is just that - an esoteric, underground organization hell-bent on not being discovered. It's not like they put out ads in the jobs section or anything.

Hardly underground.  With all the people who'd need to be involved in this consspiracy, I'd say FEism is mainstream.

Re: Mathematics of the guards
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:32 AM »
Quote from: "MephistophelesErasmus has already done this, but did it realistically taking into account things like the increased visibility by being up so high.

And no, it wouldn't require 1.3 billion guards.[/quote

On a flat earth, why would you have increased visibility being up high?

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2006, 03:45:45 AM »
so, how do you become one of these guards? who controls them?
tf?

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2006, 07:00:53 AM »
On a flat earth, why would you have increased visibility being up high?

Air is less dense as the altitude increases, thus the visual obstruction due to the astmosphere lessens as you go higher.

so, how do you become one of these guards? who controls them?

If you have to ask, you'll probably never know.
Evil government officials.

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:00 AM »
Quote from: "6strings"

If you have to ask, you'll probably never know.
Evil government officials.

and how do you know that?
tf?

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2006, 09:09:41 AM »
That would be the only thing that makes sense... how could you have a conspiracy run program, in which they can only take people who the know will not talk about it, if you go recruit at the corner of the street?
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »
and which government, anyway?
tf?

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2006, 09:23:03 AM »
All of them, how else could it work in this day and age
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli