Terminator of the Moon

• 80 Replies
Terminator of the Moon
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, because it just might, but the search function on the site was not working. I think the problem had to do with me using this shitty Mac and running Safari, but I digress.

I would like to debate the resolve: The Moon has a terminator which changes position and this is due to the fact that the moon wobbles showing up to 59% of its face total over a given amount of time.

1. One reason the moon appears to wobble in the sky is because the moons orbit around the earth is eccentric, therefore it is sometimes slightly ahead of the earth, and sometimes it is slightly behind.

2. Libration in latitude appears to only be able to happen if the sun illuminates it from slightly above or slightly below. This has to do with the orientation of the moon compared to the plane of the ecliptic.

The moon's libration allows us to see up to 59% of its face. The librations of the moon have been measured quite accurately with laser retroreflectorshttp://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1972Moon....4..155M&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf.

If the moon was a disc, there would be no slight libration that could cause 59% of the moon to be seen. The tilt of the moon would have to be huge and would be very noticeable from earth.

If the moon was flat, no libration would be able to show more than 50%, unless it showed 100%, which would mean the moon would completely flip over.

Re: Terminator of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
We all know that the moon is round. It is the earth that is flat.

?

Thermal Detonator

• Definitively the best avatar maker.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »

The problem is that a round Moon blows a hole in flat earth theory because it means the Moon has to be very far away in order to explain how the Moon's face looks the same when viewed simultaneously from different locations on Earth. This then destroys the flat earth theories on how the Moon appears to rise and set, because if it were so far away it would be visible all the time. When you bring in the phases and light from the Sun falling on the Moon, the whole flat earth Sun-Moon system starts to crumble.
So you see, the shape of the Moon is fairly fundamental to FET.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
How much did you spend researching this?

Did you talk to anyone else about this?

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »

The problem is that a round Moon blows a hole in flat earth theory because it means the Moon has to be very far away in order to explain how the Moon's face looks the same when viewed simultaneously from different locations on Earth. This then destroys the flat earth theories on how the Moon appears to rise and set, because if it were so far away it would be visible all the time. When you bring in the phases and light from the Sun falling on the Moon, the whole flat earth Sun-Moon system starts to crumble.

That's the beauty of FET.  Any proof of a spherical earth doesn't count or is only in existance due to a conspiracy and any equation to show a flat earth need not be correct nor relevant.

It dates back to their origins.  They don't believe in the burden of proof.
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/05/19/5000-for-proving-the-earth-is-a-globe/?Qwd=./ModernMechanix/10-1931/globe&Qif=globe_1.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL#qdig
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
How much did you spend researching this?

Did you talk to anyone else about this?

Uh oh. I think we have our first taste of someone in on the conspiracy getting jarred. I think it would be best we don't talk about the moon anymore.
The obvious flaw is that it's completely contrary to observation, and totally preposterous to even hypothesise about.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
The Moon is certainly not a sphere, but yes, it does have a terminator. The Moon emits its own light, because of a bioluminescent array of matter on its surface. The systematic motions of the Moon's visible features are thought to be an artifact of the seasonal habits of the fauna inherent to its surface. For much of each month, a great part of the Moon is uninhabitable, but as soon as it again becomes available, life will return there. Libration occurs when the density of biomass is altered slightly to emphasise better areas of habitation.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

Anorthosite

• Riding the crest of the awesomeness of the Hoff
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:35:30 AM »
The Moon is certainly not a sphere, but yes, it does have a terminator. The Moon emits its own light, because of a bioluminescent array of matter on its surface. The systematic motions of the Moon's visible features are thought to be an artifact of the seasonal habits of the fauna inherent to its surface. For much of each month, a great part of the Moon is uninhabitable, but as soon as it again becomes available, life will return there. Libration occurs when the density of biomass is altered slightly to emphasise better areas of habitation.

And your evidence for this is?

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
The Moon is certainly not a sphere, but yes, it does have a terminator. 

Will it be back?
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 09:10:41 AM »
the moon is a sphere, the earth is a sphere.

ill play the game, here comes "where is the proof".
Looks flat...wait...why is the light curved around it. never in a strait line

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »
the moon is a sphere, the earth is a sphere.

ill play the game, here comes "where is the proof".

Please read the board-specific rules and stay on topic. Consider this a warning.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »

No offense, but there is not evidence of this. At all. Although it is a reasonable possibility, I see literally no proof for this. In fact, this sounds almost totally ripped off from one of the beginning chapters of The Reality Function by Peter F. Hamilton. He describes a type of creature that can only live on a planet on the side that constantly faces the planet it revolves around. Please provide any evidence of bioluminescent organisms living on the moon. Fred Hoyle had a similar idea to explain the deep redness of some Kuiper Belt objects. I cannot find the paper right now but will post to it.

Edit: The Astonishing Redness of Kuiper-Belt Objects - http://www.panspermia.org/kuiper.htm

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
No answer to this old thread?

I really want to know how more FEers respond to this problem.
No matter how good you may think your theory is, it doesn't disprove anything. You need evidence to do that.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

They can't. Explaining one aspect involves making other aspects more difficult to explain, and so they stay away.
Gayer doesn't live in an atmosphere of vaporised mustard like you appear to, based on your latest photo.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »

They can't. Explaining one aspect involves making other aspects more difficult to explain, and so they stay away.

I see.
No matter how good you may think your theory is, it doesn't disprove anything. You need evidence to do that.

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »

Bendy light

Lorddave

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »

Bendy light

Then why does the old bedford level experiment show what it does?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »

Bendy light

Not only does not explain it but has been disproved. Try to keep up.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 06:20:18 AM »
Major bump on a thread that majorly screwed FE'ers, still waiting for a response that doesnt involve bendy light or something thats been disproven..
That would be a simulation of the fabric of space-time bending back upon itself

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
a few posts above has an explanation for the phases of the moon.  I havent thought of a cheap inexpensive way to proove or disproove it

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:33 AM »
Bendy light is a law unto itself. If it wants to make various celestial bodies look round, it can. If it wants to make the earth appear round, it can.

?

Thermal Detonator

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
Beeny light is a law unto itself. If it wants to make various celestial bodies look round, it can. If it wants to make the earth appear round, it can.

Unfortunately it can't find a way round not causing visible effects we should all see.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, because it just might, but the search function on the site was not working. I think the problem had to do with me using this shitty Mac and running Safari, but I digress.

I would like to debate the resolve: The Moon has a terminator which changes position and this is due to the fact that the moon wobbles showing up to 59% of its face total over a given amount of time.

1. One reason the moon appears to wobble in the sky is because the moons orbit around the earth is eccentric, therefore it is sometimes slightly ahead of the earth, and sometimes it is slightly behind.

2. Libration in latitude appears to only be able to happen if the sun illuminates it from slightly above or slightly below. This has to do with the orientation of the moon compared to the plane of the ecliptic.

The moon's libration allows us to see up to 59% of its face. The librations of the moon have been measured quite accurately with laser retroreflectorshttp://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1972Moon....4..155M&data_type=PDF_HIGH&whole_paper=YES&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf.

If the moon was a disc, there would be no slight libration that could cause 59% of the moon to be seen. The tilt of the moon would have to be huge and would be very noticeable from earth.

If the moon was flat, no libration would be able to show more than 50%, unless it showed 100%, which would mean the moon would completely flip over.

Have the FE'ers dug a whole too deep? Is there any plausible explanation? Where are you guys?

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
ask Fe'r for a navigable coordinate system accurate in the equivalence of the RE coordinate system.. They don't have one ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:08:34 PM by TheJackel »
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »
ask Fe'r for a navigable coordinate system accurate in the equivalence of the RE coordinate system.. They don't have one ;)

Jackel, you repeat yourself far too often :P

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »

Jackel, you repeat yourself far too often :P

It's because they Hate that request :P.. I'm like the kid screaming for his 2 dollars while chasing the person that owes it to me 8) I think I just like the fact they could never in analogy terms pay up :) I will hound them until they either concede or provide.
FE T-shirts = Profit = conspiracy = ideological cult in the making = teaching stupid = paranoia = nut case. Any questions?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
TheJackel, I have warned you before about the perspicuity of your posts; if you err once more I shall ban you from these forums.

Now, to the matter at hand: the Moon is illumined by a vast, heaving swathe of bioluminescent matter which traverses its inferior surface with regularity and unity. The Moon is certainly flat, we can tell this simply by looking at it. In spheres, lit by external sources (as globularists claim the Moon is), we see a darker area around the edges, and a lighter one toward the centre of the sphere, generally in the direction of the light source, as seen in the diagram below:

It so happens that tonight there is a full Moon. At great personal risk, I have been able to sneak a glance at it, taking care not to expose myself to its harmful rays, and, to my complete lack of surprise, it looks much as it always does: distinctly NOT like the sphere in the diagram. What I see, when I part the shutters and peer through a window at the fearful object, is what one might expect of a disc: a largely homogenous spread of tincture, with areas of white and light grey dispersed across its surface without discernable pattern, peering blankly back at me with flat and threatening radiance.

"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
TheJackel, I have warned you before about the perspicuity of your posts; if you err once more I shall ban you from these forums.

Now, to the matter at hand: the Moon is illumined by a vast, heaving swathe of bioluminescent matter which traverses its inferior surface with regularity and unity. The Moon is certainly flat, we can tell this simply by looking at it. In spheres, lit by external sources (as globularists claim the Moon is), we see a darker area around the edges, and a lighter one toward the centre of the sphere, generally in the direction of the light source, as seen in the diagram below:

It so happens that tonight there is a full Moon. At great personal risk, I have been able to sneak a glance at it, taking care not to expose myself to its harmful rays, and, to my complete lack of surprise, it looks much as it always does: distinctly NOT like the sphere in the diagram. What I see, when I part the shutters and peer through a window at the fearful object, is what one might expect of a disc: a largely homogenous spread of tincture, with areas of white and light grey dispersed across its surface without discernable pattern, peering blankly back at me with flat and threatening radiance.

First off:

Plagiarism and copying copyright material and posting it as your own should get you banned:
Nothing worse than another liar that even used someone else's picture to post their own magical emotional pleading  story to!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:tViV0N6bYXKeYM:http://www.hornblowerholidays.com/images/big/full_moon.jpg&t=1

http://addins.wgem.com/blogs/weather/?p=1618

For this I am going to have to report you (even if nothing will likely be done)

--------------

Now do that with something other than a full moon.. And do get a telescope and use your own images. And you should be banned for spamming misinformation, or spamming false information. And do realize even in that Picture you posted, it's still non-lambertian! I can still tell it's a sphere. And do learn how to track the moon phases and their angular relation to the setting sun and position to figure out your double fail here.

do you understand lambert's law when considering the moon or even a full moon, or the presumed flatness appearance of the moon? I would hope those who read the OP would understand this law and why the moon for the most part is considered Non-Lambertian.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.38.5304%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&rct=j&q=why%20is%20the%20moon%20Non-Lambertian&ei=ObGRTOXON4SdlgfUwamoCg&usg=AFQjCNHcNI5WRWiqey48YPd-NisdhA5xTA&cad=rja

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/publications/pdfs/Oren_SIGGRAPH94.pdf

http://www.planetary.brown.edu/pds/Pieters_NV99_8025.pdf

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:09:39 AM by TheJackel »

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:40 AM »
Now, to the matter at hand: the Moon is illumined by a vast, heaving swathe of bioluminescent matter which traverses its inferior surface with regularity and unity.
Evidence? Or are you just posting wild speculations again?
Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:39 AM »

This does absolutely nothing to explain the libration of the moon. Read the OP please, and also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration