God Construct

• 32 Replies
?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
God Construct
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
Given the troubles expounded by Hume on inductive reasoning, it's fairly well-established that proving things is impossible.  But I take your point.  There are, and have been, over the ages, many events that can be taken to be the hand of God meddling in human affairs, but can also be taken, by those who don't believe in a god, as mere coincidence, or chance, such as unexplained, spontaneous remissions.  Granted, these are not absolute proof that a god exists, but I feel that they give at least some credence to the  belief in a god.

Just because a lot of people believe in a god(or a god, gods), doesn't make them correct. One simply cannot believe something into existance.

I'd also like to explore this idea.  If something's existance or non-existanc makes no difference to the world beyond how people act, based on their belief in this thing's existance, can believing in it make it exist?

For example, say, somehow, it were proved, mathematically that God either did or did not exist.  The physical world would remain the same, given that god's existance or non-existance had been the case all along, however, human interactions would change drastically, simply based on their knowledge of this fact.  It seems to me that, in this case, simply believing in a god is analogous to his existance.

God Construct
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
Quote from: "6strings"

On the Big Bang;  The idea that god created the matter that exploded in the Big Bang really just pushes the problem back a step, and its only virtue over the godless model, or flaw, depending on your beliefs, is that it includes god.  In general, the religious person's argument goes like this: "But what created the stuff that exploded in the Big Bang?", clearly it must have been God.  But this really doesn't solve the issue at hand, it mearly begs the question "What created God?".  The traditional religious answer is that God was always there. , of course, if god can always be there, why can't this matter from whence the Big bang came?

I think I understand the point youre trying to make, but at least with the religion, God is God, it is not something as tangible as the matter.  The matter would have to come from somewhere, a total double standard can be used where God comes from... its God, hes been there forever, what made him act is a big mystery, but its God, so we wouldnt understand anyway.

I completely understand why this would be illogical and angering, in fact, I usually end up arguing your side of this.

Oh and on a sort-of side note, I was recently talking to this crazy religious friend of mine, and he was trying to convince me that the singularity was in fact God's happy kingdom, and the Big Bang was when Lucifer and his companions tried to usurp God's throne.  I thought that was sort of funny

- :twisted:
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

God Construct
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 07:51:51 AM »
For all you people wondering where the matter came from.

Energy condensed into matter from photons violently smacking into each other shortly after the temp was suitable enough post-bang.

This is possible and has been produced in labs with high-powered lasers. When 2 photons smack into each other with enough energy, the energy is converted into matter.

FYI, our notion of matter, or familiar matter (electrons, protons, neutrons) make up about 5% of all of the matter in the universe according to the most recent theories. 25% is dark matter, and 70% is dark energy. Latest theories show that the universe DOES have the critical mass required for the shape of space to be flat rather then curved in or out.