Why are some people hating on district 9?

• 65 Replies
Re: Why are some people hating on district 9?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

Another question, they mentioned something about the leaders dying out and it was just a population of dumb workers. explanation?

Probably in the sequel! (well, hopefully I mean :D )

?

Proleg

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
Raist, the first ten minutes was basically "experts" testifying that they didn't know anything about the aliens' technology, society, history, or motives, only that they had come to earth for some reason. Essentially, they were covering their asses for any plot issues the audience might have during the rest of the film. You didn't miss anything important.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Another question, they mentioned something about the leaders dying out and it was just a population of dumb workers. explanation?

Basically, the humans in this movie are realistic enough to think that they are the master race, and judge a population of alien life-forms who don't fight back for fear of spoiling a hidden agenda for 20 years to be "dumb workers." To me, the little I saw of the aliens in District 9 seemed to indicate that they were basically like humans yet slightly less emotionally driven. Even the thing that people said about the aliens having no sense of ownership is probably false, since they still appeared to view the mother-ship as their own and had no problems understanding simple trading.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
Yeah. I watched the beginning. So I guess the control ship that fell off ran out of the liquid, this along with food shortages perhaps. It was dropped to earth and they spent the next decades gather fluid to go home and bring help.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »
Winrar. Also, the moment in the movie which moved me most was probably when his father-in-law Ordered the extraction procedure. I was so proud to be human right then.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 06:45:45 AM »
Commies wouldn't have done that.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
You can't know that.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
Also, an apartheid allegory set in South Africa only fifteen years after apartheid actually ended? Real subtle, guys.

A lot of people seem to be assuming this is an apartheid film, which I don't think it is. I think the allegory relates to the current (and massive) influx of immigrants from Zimbabwe to South Africa, and the violence that has erupted between South Africans and Zimbabwean immigrants. It is a massive political issue in SA these days.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
Deep.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »
I thought it was just about aliens.

Of course I also doubt many movie writers think about symbolism, at all.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
Nah, the director is South African, and the title is itself a direct and obvious reference to a real incident which occured under apartheid, so he obviously intended to provoke the comparison. However, given the trouble that has been happening recently, and the fact that the aliens are 'immigrants', I think he's also nodding heavily to modern tensions within SA.

I thought the film was OK. Definitely the best sci-fi I've seen in a while, but it can't really hold a candle to the greats. Some of the acting and dialogue was just a bit too shoddy for my taste, and though I thought the aliens looked 'cool' in terms of design, they didn't look real enough for me. Men in suits > CGI. In fact, real effects > CGI generally, but aside from the aliens, the film was pretty good on that score.

Give the man a better script (please, please, not Halo...) and he might do something interesting one of these days.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree on the men in suits thing. I hate when aliens are nearly identical in makeup to humans. One of those "convenient coincidences"

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
I agree with Raist. Also, the dialogue on the lead actor's part was all ad-lib. The more you know.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »
I think it's easier to imagine if the aliens are somewhat similar to humans.  
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
You mean bipedal, consume the same foods, have the same 5 senses, and even communicate using spoken language? Seems very similar.

?

Proleg

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 05:47:42 PM »
A lot of people seem to be assuming this is an apartheid film, which I don't think it is.
No assumption necessary. It is an apartheid film.

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
You mean bipedal, consume the same foods, have the same 5 senses, and even communicate using spoken language? Seems very similar.
eh. at least the food I could understand. I would imagine that they would use the simple carbon hydrates for energy. Occams razor. a fairly simple chemical that can store energy and I imagine they would be carbon based. most of the other chemicals we need are fairly simple. not much other simple chemicals they could need that we don't have. silicone based from what I have read would be a lot harder. second I would believe that they would have the five senses. most other senses I have read about only work well in water.
anyway I do sort of see your points about bipedal. A good series I read as a kid that I think did a fairly good job of having unusual types of creatures is Animorphs. ending sucked though
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
eh. at least the food I could understand. I would imagine that they would use the simple carbon hydrates for energy. Occams razor. a fairly simple chemical that can store energy and I imagine they would be carbon based. most of the other chemicals we need are fairly simple. not much other simple chemicals they could need that we don't have. silicone based from what I have read would be a lot harder. second I would believe that they would have the five senses. most other senses I have read about only work well in water.
anyway I do sort of see your points about bipedal. A good series I read as a kid that I think did a fairly good job of having unusual types of creatures is Animorphs. ending sucked though

Here's the thing, breaking down proteins requires specific enzymes. We require specific amino acids, meaning if you get the wrong ones you won't survive. etc. Diet is very specific. As for same senses, I find it odd that we have the exact same 5, as well as cephalized heads containing the same organs.

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »

Here's the thing, breaking down proteins requires specific enzymes. We require specific amino acids, meaning if you get the wrong ones you won't survive. etc. Diet is very specific. As for same senses, I find it odd that we have the exact same 5, as well as cephalized heads containing the same organs.
having all the sense on the tallest part of the body makes sense. second what other sense would you suggest it has? as for amino acids I would say that there is a reason that we use the specific ones we do. I am guessing that there is a reason those specific ones won out over the other possible ones. biology is not my major though so I could be wrong.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
No, there's no reason we use the amino acids we do really. We use them because they worked.

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
No, there's no reason we use the amino acids we do really. We use them because they worked.
but I figured there would have been cells with competing amino acids at one time. our type won so I figured that there must have been some edge.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
A lot of people seem to be assuming this is an apartheid film, which I don't think it is.

Yes, I thought that had been a confirmed fact.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 06:02:29 AM »

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to try that again. Also, I think optimisticcynic is correct. We use whatever aminoacids we do for our metabolism because it gave us an edge to be able to quickly rebuild carbohydrates into proteins and energy. Other cells, which fed in a less efficient way, died out or didn't evolve as fast as we did.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »
Our diet has very specific amounts of zinc, iron, magnesium etc. The chance that an alien's diet is so similar to ours not to develop serious deficiencies is very, very low.

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2009, 11:02:59 AM »
*insert pointless conjecture here*

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »
*insert pointless conjecture here*
Haha, on reflection, this.
Although I do love arguments about things where both sides, ultimately, cannot know.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
I agree, which is why I love discussing religion.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
I prefer the arguments that are started by a friend who watches a film saying 'that couldn't happen'

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »
I don't mind a bit of speculative banter, don't get me wrong. And I'd join in anywhere else, but on here? No chance.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree on the men in suits thing. I hate when aliens are nearly identical in makeup to humans. One of those "convenient coincidences"

I'm sure they could manage better suits these days if they tried. I'm not a big fan of Aliens (the original is far better), but you have to hand it to James Cameron that his animatronic Alien Queen looked awesome. CGI always looks like CGI, and that ruins it for me somewhat.

Yes, I thought that had been a confirmed fact.

Well yeah, there are the obvious references, which I mentioned above. But I don't think it's just about apartheid.