Why are some people hating on district 9?

• 65 Replies

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
Why are some people hating on district 9?
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »
I liked it. Really, it's not the most original movie ever made, but it was very entertaining while touching on important subjects.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
Re: Why are some people hating on district 9?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
I liked it. Really, it's not the most original movie ever made, but it was very entertaining while touching on important subjects.

I liked it as well. The fact that, for once, an alien film isn't set in America, for a start. It felt a lot more like what our first contact with aliens would actually be like, were it to happen, in the same way that 28 Days Later gives a much more likely view of the UK with a 'zombie' virus.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
I enjoyed it but couldn't help myself laughing everytime the guy said "fuck" and sounded just like a scouser.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
FOCK-garblegarblegarble!!!!!!
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
I thought it was ok... but i was expecting a bit more action, and to connect a little more with any of the characters.

Also, those aliens have bad ass weapons. Why the fuck didnt they ever use them?

ALso, they don't have planet side assistance? No On-Star on their ship? No one could come and help them out? Fuck that. In hindsight, i hated the movie.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
I thought it was ok... but i was expecting a bit more action, and to connect a little more with any of the characters.

ALso, they don't have planet side assistance? No On-Star on their ship? No one could come and help them out? Fuck that. In hindsight, i hated the movie.
assuming that their communications are as limited as ours, a call for help would take a long time to respond to.
an vir

?

Proleg

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
I liked it and I'm hoping for a District 10.

That said, the ending could have been more reconciliatory; I was less sympathetic to the protagonist's fate than I suspect the film intended. There was very little sense of Wikus really having learned anything by the end.

Also, an apartheid allegory set in South Africa only fifteen years after apartheid actually ended? Real subtle, guys.

Those are my only complaints.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47:13 AM »
It's pretty funny, since I really, really hated the protagonist from the start, and that never died down completely.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
I obviously enjoyed that movie very much.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
I enjoyed it but couldn't help myself laughing everytime the guy said "fuck" and sounded just like a scouser.

This. People from the UK may have noticed a similarity between his 'fuck' and the one of 'Paddy Fookin' Macguire'

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
I thought the movie had a deeper message that kind of made a reference to the whites that were controlling South Africa a while back.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »
District 9 has something for everyone, really. If you want metaphors, allegories, and other intellectual stuff, it's got plenty of that. If you could care less and just want to see cool explosions, there's lots of that too.

I really liked it.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
The thing most people seem to have against it, as far as I can tell, is that it does nothing which is explicitly original. I can sort of agree with that, I mean, we've all seen sci-fi movies in which aliens come to Earth, we've all seen movies which allude to racism without actually showing white men trampling black men in the street or vice versa, and we've all seen movies with mind-numbing explosions and pointless fight scenes. But really, to me that doesn't mean that we don't want moar.

NO EXCEPTIONS

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:50 PM »
Did you somehow miss the loopholes?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 01:42:42 AM »
I'm sorry, but it would help if you were more clear. Simply asking a question using the word "loopholes" doesn't mean anything to me.

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »
Everyone knows that pointing out loopholes without making any comment about the film itself is cool.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
It's one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever watched. This would probably happen for real if extraterrestrials were to land on Earth.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »

assuming that their communications are as limited as ours, a call for help would take a long time to respond to.
How could i possibly assume their communications are as limited as ours? They traveled to another solar system. They have weapons that go KABANGO! And they're ugly as fuck.

Im sure their cellphones have much better reception than ours also.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »
I must have missed them all.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »
Seems like it would be up my alley. I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DvD.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »

No.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 12:35:25 AM »
Why did he need the "fluid" if the machine was able to move the mothership and beam them up without it the whole time?

That's just one of them.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »
Why did he need the "fluid" if the machine was able to move the mothership and beam them up without it the whole time?

That's just one of them.

That's actually called a plot hole, dear. 

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 01:42:57 AM »
They needed the fluid to activate the ship-thing.  The ship-thing could call the mothership.

If the ship-thing is not active, no mothership-beaming.
Recently listened to:

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »
I missed the first 10 minutes. What was wrong with the mothership that they had to come down to earth?

I have to say it was probably the most realistic alien movie yet.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 02:14:29 AM »
What was wrong with the mothership that they had to come down to earth?
Well, the mothership appeared to be functional; the command module may have just deactivated the ship. My theory is that the passengers were very sick (shown in the movie) and needed food by the time they reached near Earth, which is a habitable planet. Thus, having no other choice, they decided to land on Earth to seek refuge and look for supplies.

I have to say it was probably the most realistic alien movie yet.
Agreed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:25:10 AM by Jack »

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 05:40:08 AM »

That's just one of them.

I might be wrong but I'm sure I remember they didn't do anything with the machine until Wikus put the fluid cannister in.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
I have the feeling the fluid was a command substance not a fuel. Sort of like how alien dna activates the weaponry.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
I was under the impression that they could turn on the machine without the fluid, and it was only needed to launch the ship. The reason I think that is because after the craft crashed, it clearly was crippled. Minimal systems, and probably no fluid. And yet, the little dude could still get the mothership to move and beam them up.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »
I was under the impression that they could turn on the machine without the fluid, and it was only needed to launch the ship. The reason I think that is because after the craft crashed, it clearly was crippled. Minimal systems, and probably no fluid. And yet, the little dude could still get the mothership to move and beam them up.

It still had the fluid. The fluid was in that vial in the ship. The fact that the mothership worked once the craft was activated suggests it was some sort of control ship.

Another question, they mentioned something about the leaders dying out and it was just a population of dumb workers. explanation?

(i'm still pissed i got there late. It was a great movie)