The perfect god paradox.

• 37 Replies

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
Re: The perfect god paradox.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »
How does one prove an event "evil"?

The point is, you can't; it's subjective.

The word evil is synonymous with 'sinful', but can't we just steal it and say it means morally 'fucked'?

You could, if you wanted to speak inaccurately.

Saying something like, "saying the holocaust was an evil event is a subjective statement" would be morally 'fucked'. 

Saying the holocaust was an evil event is a subjective statement. And there is nothing wrong with their morals.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »
Well now why would you say that there was nothing wrong with their morals? Assuming that you're alluding towards the Nazis. I mean, how sadistic could you possibly be?

If you're attempting to deconstruct the English language, let me just stop you before you answer that question. My point was that the word evil's definition can be broader than it's religious connotation. Hell (another word I use without any religious connotation), the word 'moral' is the opposite of what people find to be bad and wrong.

Do you think what the Nazis did was morally sound under the direct definition of morality?
The obvious flaw is that it's completely contrary to observation, and totally preposterous to even hypothesise about.

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
Oh man, there's a whole thread on this. I will continue if you respond, but I think I'll get an idea of your stance after reading it.

The obvious flaw is that it's completely contrary to observation, and totally preposterous to even hypothesise about.

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 03:13:56 AM »
Ok I found it:

Exactly. Biological self-interest != morality.

And I apologize for not lurking quite enough to see the other thread.

I see what you're saying about the word morality. To be honest, I'm appalled it even had the potential to be subject for debate. My example of the holocaust and my opinion, which at the time I figured could of been unique, was something so undeniably shared and it turns out, you got me. The word 'morality' is subjective.

You sound like a Nazi sympathizer, though. It's one thing to think the Earth is flat, but to take away a couple of very appropriate words like 'immoral' and 'evil' that best describe the absolute horror of something like the holocaust is nonredeemable.  

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
This whole "God is perfect" thing is rubbish and I will attempt to explain why.  Perfection is subjective.  For example, the perfect evening differs from person to person.  One might include dancing, while another may require liquor.  This is true for everything.  Thus, why there is nothing in existence can be agreed by everyone to be perfect.

Now, how this applies to a deity if twofold.  One person saying God (judeo-christian) is perfect, is false because not everyone may see it that way.  So, even if you happen to think God is perfect, the truth is much different because that is only your subjective opinion and opinions don't make facts.

The other half is the assertion that God is inherently perfect; a quality of being God.  This is labeling God with a subjective adjective, it's like saying God is funny (or more correctly, the funniest).  By whose standards is God the funniest or perfect?  If God does exist as a supremely powerful being who exists outside, but not constrained by, the laws of the physical world including time and space, as a fickle arbiter who plays favorites and kills wantonly with the callous and random touch as it's portrayed and preached, then surely we aren't able to label perfection; being burdened by the laws of physics and hampered by humane feelings. 

As a fact, God cannot be stated as perfect, nor can it be a quality inherent in itself as seen by us. 
All youve shown is that english has a word with suvjective meanings and that people use it to refer to gpd. You cant disprove reality with linguistics.

shades

• Occam's Razor is not BS. Let's move on.
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
God is perfect and omnipotent, right? He is also omniscient. God created man. Man was not perfect. God intended for man to be perfect. If god really way perfect, man would be perfect. Man is not perfect, so god does not exist.

I would say that only concludes that if there is a God, he is not perfect.  Perfection would imply that there is no room for improvement.  I'm not sure if you could apply that attribute to anything.

I agree with you, but that means the bible is wrong.

The Bible has been known to be wrong about many things for hundreds of years.

Well if the bible is wrong and that is the only proof of gods existence, then we must assume god does not exist.
It's not spam, it's my catchphrase!

?

Proleg

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
You sound like a Nazi sympathizer, though. It's one thing to think the Earth is flat, but to take away a couple of very appropriate words like 'immoral' and 'evil' that best describe the absolute horror of something like the holocaust is nonredeemable.  
Relax. It's not like that shit actually happened anyway.

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »
Relax. It's not like that shit actually happened anyway.
You seriously think that the holocaust didn't happen?  Sigh, oh well, don't respond to this, don't want to derail the thread.