celestial bodies

• 8 Replies
celestial bodies
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:08:40 AM »
Before Newton invented our modern day physics, it was a common belief that Celestial bodies behaved differently than matter here on Earth. This is true in the case of Galileo when he first saw the moons of Jupiter in an orbit with our very first telescopes.

The basis of Newtonian physics is gravity, which FE do not believe exists. Rather than try to argue over a conspiracy theory OR an all encompassing theory of Gravity, i pose a few simple questions:

Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, unless acted on by a force. Other than non-existent gravity, what keeps other moons, such as Jupiter's, orbiting a planet? What force keeps these moons from flying straight, rather than orbiting as we have observed?

Also, other than non-existant gravity what keeps a planets atmosphere in place? I understand that an ice wall can keep in water, but how does it hold our atmosphere against the vacuum of space and solar wind? And what force keeps Jupiter's atmosphere in place, when it is round not flat?

Why do most other planets have orbiting moons, yet in the FE system our moon travels in a completely different fashion than other planets every other planet in our system?

If celestial bodies (planets, moons, stars) are for the most part round, Why isn't Earth?

Since celestial bodies orbit, from time to time their paths intersect, causing an eclipse, both lunar and solar. How in a FE orbit do we have predictable solar and lunar eclipses? Also explain the phases of the moon.

**These questions are posed in a polite manner and without criticism. If you are to debate for OR against, i ask that you do the same.**
verybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the Moon. - Tori Amos

celestial bodies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:15:22 AM »
Fe believes in gravity.  :idea:
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

celestial bodies
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
From the Faq's

FE assumes that the Earth does not generate a gravitational field.

If FE'ers believe in gravity, then plz explain the path of your moon and sun in contrast to other celestial bodies.

Also why is it that Jupiter and other planets have gravity (and the laws that come with it) yet Earth "doesn't generate a gravitational field."

i apologize if i'm not up to date with FE's answers. I'm just trying to understand you logic.

?

RenaissanceMan

celestial bodies
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:17 AM »
The fact of the matter is, you really can't explain any of that scientifically with the FE model.

This book, written in 1881 by Samuel Rowbotham best explains it, Rowbotham is considered the father of modern Flat Earthism.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/index.htm

The scientific method wasn't good enough for Rowbotham, who developed "The Zetetic method" that removed the pesky need for falsifiability or explaining now anything actually works.

Flat Earthism is circular, like any faith, I.E. "I believe the earth is flat, therefore it cannot be round." Any 'evidence' of a round earth must be fabricated, and any 'evidence' of a flat earth will be accepted under that mindset.

celestial bodies
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »
that is too bad. i was wanting to hear sound logic from some of these FE'ers.

I have read some of thier posts and some can debate well. Better so than some children that are on the RE side...

celestial bodies
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:43:47 AM »
Flat Earthism is circular, like any faith, I.E. "I believe the earth is flat, therefore it cannot be round." Any 'evidence' of a round earth must be fabricated, and any 'evidence' of a flat earth will be accepted under that mindset.

many fe'ers will say the same thing about re'ers
an vir

celestial bodies
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 09:05:26 AM »
Just wait a moment.

The moon is a spotlight?  That is plain and simply not true, and you can see it for yourself.

Because the Moon's orbit is not a perfect circle but actually an ellipse, its spin and rotation don't exactly match up. This means that sometimes the spin lags behind the orbital speed, and sometimes it moves ahead. This in turn means that sometimes we can "peek" around a bit onto the far side of the Moon. This is called "libration".  This effect is small, and you need a telescope to see it, but it does occur.  I watch it happen every month.  You can see it happening here:  

http://www.nwgis.com/greg/images/libration.jpg

Now how could a 2-D spotlight do that?  Does it generate new craters and mountains around its edges at regular intervals?  I don’t think so.
"The earth looks flat; therefore it is flat."
-Flat Earthers

"Triangle ABC looks isosceles; therefore . . ."
-3rd grade geometry student

celestial bodies
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
excellent point. i had forgotten that but came up with something similar. with a relatively cheap telescope you can see this affect on mars only more aparrent due to mars' rotation.
an vir

celestial bodies
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »
I believe the earth is flat, therefore it cannot be round.

What it means: Since I have no physical evidence to back up my theory, I'm gonna keep repeating this over and over until you guys get frustrated and walk away.

Also... has anyone tried thinking "I believe I am invinsible" then jumped off a tall building? I'm sure for as long as the earth has existed... some idiot has. Did he/she actually die? Most Likely. But, surely someone surviving that kind of fall unharmed would be pointed out in history books or something, but other than that... no.

And with that said, I believe this conversation is over, therefore, it is.
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!