In Case of Zombies

• 862 Replies

Guessed

Re: In Case of Zombies
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:50:38 AM »
I was actually a little surprised that it even existed, to tell you the truth.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
The key is to stick in smaller groups but not to exclude other people. A group of 20 people with a wide set of skills should allow for you to survive for months. The smaller the group, the easier to get overwhelmed; the larger the group is the harder it is to keep mobile or to provide for every person.

The only problem will be the initial panic. You want to build up your supplies as quick as possible, but the likelihood of you being the first person to think of going to X store for non perishable food and water is highly unlikely. Most people will have enough supplies in their house or within their community of houses to survive without needing to leave for 1-2 months, so this can be an option for people who don't live in populated areas. However this initial panic will also kill off a lot of idiots, so the resulting population is luckier and smarter, hopefully smart enough to realize that they can't survive alone.

Beyond 1-2 months assuming that civilization has collapsed, the first thing to do is to look for shelter with adequate construction, access to medical facilities, cooking supplies, internal electricity, communications, and heavy set doors. A few good examples include: Hospitals, high rise buildings, high schools, military bases, factories, etc. However all of these depend on specific situations, and may be better or worse depending on what you're looking for. Military bases may have weapons, but they're large and would limit you to using at most 3-4 buildings without spreading your defenses thin. Hospitals may have a seemingly infinite amount of medical supplies, but the chances of finding a hospital that is both empty and not in a densely populated area or zombie hotspot is a long shot. You should choose your building based on it's qualities first, then location, then size. My personal choice would be a high school, because the have medical facilities to cover any minor injuries, cooking facilities to feed around 1000 people, an emergency generator, and very thick doors.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
have fun, because you're screwed anyway.

This revelation is older than the internet.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Guessed

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
have fun, because you're screwed anyway.

This revelation is older than the internet.

But now a study has been done on it so it's not just internet folk-lore.
Is Dino open source?

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »
Headless zombies DNE.

Guessed

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
This study posits that they can.
Is Dino open source?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:16:41 PM »
Here's a link to the paper if anyone is interested.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

Well the study is retarded unless the virus is changing some other organ to dole out the signals for motor functions.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Guessed

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »

Well the study is retarded unless the virus is changing some other organ to dole out the signals for motor functions.

Presumably, that's the case, I haven't read the study.
Is Dino open source?

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
I love the guys name, Robert Smith?.

professor Robert J. Smith?, whose last name contains a question mark to distinguish his common name from that of other researchers.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

?

Proleg

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:58 PM »

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »
I STRONGLY suggest you all go out and read the book The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It can save your life.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »
I STRONGLY suggest you all go out and read the book The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It can save your life.

Old.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »

Stupid shitty book sold at hot topic is stupid shitty book sold at hot topic.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Zombie Survivial Guide is interesting, but not exactly 'reading' material.  It's literally like a field guide.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 12:58:52 AM »
I think all this study demonstrates is how far from the founding principles of academia and the sciences university life has become.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:18:42 AM »
I think the best place to go if you could would be a island fair out to sea. if they could close off there borders quick enough it would help. in fact anything in water over ten feet deep would probably be good. I don't no of any zombie coordinated enough to swim. even if they couldn't drown I doubt they would be smart enough to get up to you.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »
I think the best place to go if you could would be a island fair out to sea. if they could close off there borders quick enough it would help. in fact anything in water over ten feet deep would probably be good. I don't no of any zombie coordinated enough to swim. even if they couldn't drown I doubt they would be smart enough to get up to you.

The problem with an island is supplies. If you're say on a coastal shelf about 30-40 meters off the mainland, this might be your best option in terms of islands. However getting back on to the shore for supply runs is a problem

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »

The problem with an island is supplies. If you're say on a coastal shelf about 30-40 meters off the mainland, this might be your best option in terms of islands. However getting back on to the shore for supply runs is a problem
seems if you get enough fishing supplies you could go awhile without going back for supplies. if you also were on a big enough island that had some wildlife and edible plants you could go on for a quite a while.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »
Every refugee that can reach a boat or swim will head for an island, especially one so close to the shore. Zombies can drift/walk along the bottom, refugees will completely wipe out everything edible like a swarm of locusts and if you don't have the materials/ability to make your own equipment then you'll starve as soon as it breaks. The more desolate your haven, the safer you are.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
My plan is a yatch in the local freshwater resevoir. With plenty of fish swimming below in crystal clear waters the situation would be liveable. I'd have a dinghy to swiftly return to shore if need be.

when you're on the move the best gear to wear would be full motorcycle riding leathers and helmet. I'd arm myself with one of these from my archive at work. A fascine knife (Except our one has a blade along it's broad side too.) nice and heavy with a broad, chunky blade for running battles or against several zombies and that nasty hook end for piercing the brains of individual zombies.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
One problem with the island. If they did get there you couldn't touch them til they were on the island infecting it. Water is bulletproof. Something even 6 feet underwater is nearly impossible to hit with a bullet.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
On Mythbusters they ended up saying about three feet of water on average, i think.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 10:06:08 AM »
Meh, I'll believe them when they actually use their brains. Though in truth the percussion from a bullet missing you in water will still injure you pretty well.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »
But at 3 feet it becomes incredibly accurate anyway.  If it hits you, it'll hurt, but that's if.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
But it doesn't need to hit you. Have you ever gone rifle fishing? The object isn't to hit the fish, you intentionally miss and allow the percussion of the bullet to kill the fish.

The mythbusters also confirmed that the percussion of a bullet can kill fish from a distance. They just lack the ability to logically connect these things.

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
This is another problem. People think that guns are the best weapons for zombies. They are not. The average person is probably going to use like 4-5 rounds per zombie. Highly inefficient. BLunt objects or blades with a long reach are your best bets. I'd go to the medieval times about 10 minutes away from me and pillage all the axes and swords I could carry (probably like...1).

Now people think that you're going to get bit from that close, but if you just wear some thick clothing you should decrease your chances of them breaking your skin by a lot. Now I don't know how strong zombies will be, but I know that human teeth probably can't get through leather or denim that easily.

Every refugee that can reach a boat or swim will head for an island, especially one so close to the shore. Zombies can drift/walk along the bottom, refugees will completely wipe out everything edible like a swarm of locusts and if you don't have the materials/ability to make your own equipment then you'll starve as soon as it breaks. The more desolate your haven, the safer you are.

VERY true. But you have to balance desolation with resources. A desert may ensure that no zombies are going to be there, but for the same reason, you shouldn't be there either.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:05:26 AM by LaserEyess »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »
A good bolt action rifle or crossbow is likely to serve you better than a sword, unless it breaks the skull and destroys the brain the zombie survives. Beheading a zombie will only cripple it, it can still bite. Leather, denim and neoprene are probably the best accessible materials, sharkmail's probably the best of the lot. A desert will not slow the zombie, it will only mean they can survive for far longer. It's possible to survive in any climate, we've been doing it for as long as we could reach the climates in question. We can build a structure that allows us to live in space in relative comfort, we can build a desert home.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
This is another problem. People think that guns are the best weapons for zombies. They are not. The average person is probably going to use like 4-5 rounds per zombie. Highly inefficient. BLunt objects or blades with a long reach are your best bets. I'd go to the medieval times about 10 minutes away from me and pillage all the axes and swords I could carry (probably like...1).

Now people think that you're going to get bit from that close, but if you just wear some thick clothing you should decrease your chances of them breaking your skin by a lot. Now I don't know how strong zombies will be, but I know that human teeth probably can't get through leather or denim that easily.

VERY true. But you have to balance desolation with resources. A desert may ensure that no zombies are going to be there, but for the same reason, you shouldn't be there either.

The problem with blunt weapons is risk of infection increases as proximity increases. A gun is the best bet because it keeps them away from you.

A blunt weapon may kill them quicker but one bite and you are fucked.