Details of the Sun's Orbit

• 3 Replies

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:55:50 AM »
A while ago on the General Flat Earth Discussion forum, somebody posed the question of seasonal changes on a Flat Earth. We can't deny that seasons occur - I'm sat here in the middle of July and the Sun is shining brightly - 6 months ago it was snowing.

To my knowledge, the FAQ or any other part of the site lacks an adequate explanation for the phenomenom, which is why I would like to address it here with my own theory on seasons and the position/movements of the Sun and Moon.

Initially it occured to me that the reason for extreme cold in winter, extreme heat in summer, and intermediate temperature in spring and autumn (as well as the reason for brighter weather in summer and darker weather in winter), might be fluctuations in the Sun's distance from the Earth. It makes sense that if the Sun was marginally "higher" above the Earth during winter months, less light and heat would reach the Earth (and vice versa for summer).

This is all well and good, and would explain temperature changes in winter and summer. However, in reality, "winter" on some parts of the globe is much hotter than "summer". (Australia is a perfect example - while we might be experiencing a white Christmas in England, the weather in Australia is often at its hottest).

If the Sun was constantly high in winter and low in summer, temperature changes would be global and uniform. In bogus Round Earth Theory, these temperature discrepancies are attributed to the Earth's tilt. We know the Earth couldn't tilt like this in reality - the atmosphere would "spill" into space and water would obscure whole continents on the lower edge.

If the Earth is staying relatively level and yet the Sun is giving off different levels of heat and light to different parts of the globe depending on the season, the motion causing it must be down to the Sun, not the Earth. We know that the Sun only shines on certain areas of the Earth at one time ("spotlight" theory). Daytime is the time we're interested in - this is when the Sun is actually sending the heat to any given part of Earth. Thus, if at daytime in a certain place, the Sun is low above the Earth, then at the corresponding daytime in another area it is high up, the motion of the sun must fluctuate vertically in tandem with its horizontal movement.

That the fluctuation is smooth reflects the fact that evenings and mornings tend to be colder (and darker) than the middle of the day.

In the diagram, the Sun is further (both horizontally and vertically) from the house in the evening than at mid-day. As the sun ascends on the fluctuating loop, the area gets much colder and darker as night sets in.

Since seasons return every year, the wave-shaped Sun-orbit must slightly shift out of sinc in order to gradually expose other areas to summer. As it goes full circle, the original summer areas will again experience summer.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate the input of other Flat Earthers on this model.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:45:27 PM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"
The Sun's Path Expands and Contracts Daily For Six Months

I would suggest that this sentence quite nicely sums up the Zetetic explanation for the seasons.  When the sun is directly over the rimwards annulus, the "southern hemisphere" is in summer and the northern is in winter.  When the sun is directly over the hubwards annulus, the seasons are reversed.

There would be no difference in seasons if the modern heliocentric model were true.

If the sun were 93,000,000 miles away, then a few thousand metres difference would not matter.  It did matter because the sun is both much smaller and much closer than heliocentric astronomy claims.

Dionysios: you may want to bring up these two points in the General Discussion forum.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
Not to be offensive, but what is the point of having a flat-earther-only forum if you are going to post here?

Apologies.  I did not expect pro-flat-Earth arguments to be held in contempt, simply because they originated from a round-Earther.  I will avoid this forum in the future.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 03:33:47 PM »

Cause of Day and Night, Winter and Summer...
http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za26.htm

This is genius, I hadn't considered that possibility. The "contracting/expanding orbit" model also explains the "midnight sun" effect in the polar extemities of the Earth.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901